This thread is privately moderated by Red.Sneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 09, 2014, 12:11 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Thread OP
Build Log

Portable Wind Streamer ground school

Maybe you are at a local field with no flags or trees to tell you how the wind is blowing or changing. Here is a simple solution. Great for determining wind direction on takeoff and arrivals. Place about 50 feet in front and to the side of your position. Better yet, use two, one for each side. It is very sensitive to breeze. Good for determining when there is ground turbulence or thermal in the area. I leave one outdoors during the winter to look for opportunities to fly my micro planes & heli in the yard.

click on picture to view larger
Name: Warrior Flag ~ Pink.jpg
Views: 168
Size: 83.9 KB
Description: Warrior Flag ~ Pink Name: Warrior Flag ~ Windy Day.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 76.4 KB
Description: Warrior Flag ~ Windy Day Name: Keychain.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 36.7 KB
Description: Nylon Keychain

Easy to build, easy to field install, breakdown & store. Here is the list (Pole, Keychain, Streamer, Fishing Swivel, Washer, Glue):

[...] Pole: I use a 72 inch or 48 inch fiberglass rod with reflective strip, The Hillman Group Reflective Staff available from your local hardware store. A bamboo stick or crappy pole may also work. The reflective strip will hold the bottom of the key chain and washer in place or you can just use electrical tape to create a stop.

[...] Keychain: I use The Hillman Group Carabineer Key Clip with Strap available from your local hardware store.

[...] Single nylon kite tail streamer, available from your LHS. It is very sensitive to breeze.

[...] Fishing swivel with tiny weight, available from your local store.

[...] Nylon washer to fit pole, available from your local hardware store.

[...] Glue to attach streamer to fishing swivel. Note extra piece of nylon used to ‘sandwich’ the swivel.

[...] Silicone Spray, optional. Spray top of rod & washers to allow the streamer to turn freely. Spray the bottom of the pole to facilitate installation and removal of dirt. Let dry before use.

[...] You may also want to check out the Spartan Spear ~ 2.4 Radio Tx Wind Streamer - click here

I shall call him "Warrior Flag"
Name: Warrior Flag.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 50.3 KB
Description: Warrior Flag ~ portable field streamer
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jul 01, 2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2014, 05:13 PM
Anhedral
I'm making one today...thanks

Quick Reply