Mar 30, 2014, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the compliment Larry.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2014, 08:53 PM
Gene,

Nice job. Good to see someone take an arf and make it look different. Excellent paint work.

Rick
Apr 01, 2014, 04:34 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Rick. Larry, I still do use my Kraft radio from time to time. It has been sent back to Radio South & gone thru, so its still reliable. I collect & refurbish old radios as another part of this hobby. ...Gene

Larry, i weighed it& the ready to fly weight is 6 lbs 7 oz. I dont have a before weight to compair it to, but i'm sure i added weight. But i think the 55 will pull it around ok. Heck, the old style wheels weigh double the weight of the foam wheels that were included alone!...Gene
Last edited by gene6029; Apr 01, 2014 at 05:05 AM.
Apr 02, 2014, 09:13 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene6029
the next step for me is to apply a mixture of Elmers white glue cut 50% with water to the entire model & let it dry for a day.
What is the reason for the 50% elmer's water mixture? Is this to fill in any imperfections vs using balsa filler?

I was gifted a used .60 V-mar stick that was unwanted but plenty of life in it, converted it to electric and now I'm considering a recover to it though due to the tail being glued on I'm a bit apprehensive of recovering AUW of mine converted is 7 lbs.

Your stick is beautiful.
Last edited by dedStik; Apr 02, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Apr 02, 2014, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
dedStik,Thank you for your comment about my Stik. The mixture of 50% Elmers wood glue & water is a precurser when i apply Monokote. Been doing it that way for years. It gives me a beautifull surface to work with once sanded out. My original intention was to recover it with Monokote, but changed my mind at the last moment & decided to go with the Sig Koverall instead. The LHS didnt have enough of the yellow Monokote & i didnt want to wait another week to get it, so i took the rout i did because its what i had on hand. In this instance i could have skipped the Elmers mixture & never noticed it......Gene
Apr 25, 2014, 09:27 PM
be all you can be
Gene, your stick looks great, I like how it turned out.

I have a question about the 50-50 elmers glue to water mixture. Does monokote stick to it, like it would to bare balsa wood? I'm thinking about giving it a try, it looks like a great idea.

thanks, Joe
Apr 26, 2014, 04:02 AM
Thread OP
Joe, yes Monokote sticks to the Elmers glue very well. It does take a slightly different approach to applying & shrinking the Monokote though. I try and iron down an edge, then pull the Monokote as tight as i can towards another edge, then go back inbetween with a hot air gun & press it down with a soft cloth or mitt. Once it adhears to the Elmers its not to friendly stretching over it. But you can get glass smooth finishes with a minimal weight gain . Most importantly, after the Elmers dries, sand everything with 400-600 & vacume off the dust before attempting to cover.This model(Tower Kaos)was oil soaked & worn out, but i used the Elmers glue over everything & re-covered it with Monokote & extended its life ....Gene

PS , it may take more than one coat of the Elmers 50-50 with drying and sanding in between on some areas to get the wood nice and smooth.
Last edited by gene6029; Apr 26, 2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: added PS
Jul 04, 2014, 06:29 PM
Scratch builder
Gene, congratulations¡¡¡, your stik is beautiful, I plan to cover my first airplane with silk.
I saw all the process, years ago but I only saw didn't make it, so I'm afraid to do some wrong, and twist the wings (Because I saw it).
Jul 05, 2014, 06:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the nice words albertomi. I ended up putting on its first flight at the Glory Days vintage event we have here in NC. Heres a picture of me with it at that event & a few of the other models i took along to fly also.........Gene
Jul 07, 2014, 02:42 PM
Scratch builder
Good pictures,
Aug 03, 2014, 04:01 AM
Outstanding job Gene! Same reason I love ARFs. In many cases it DOES make sense to buy a covered ARF and then recover it. I do it all the time. I can buy an ARF, bring it home, and have a balsa model ready to cover the next day.

Kurt
Jul 20, 2016, 12:16 AM
David Vels
Gene,

For this composites builder, this thread is gold.

My dad was a balsa-basher and he loved timber models covered in fabric. I wish I'd paid more attention cos I'm restoring my dad's 1/4 scale sailplane and the process you've illustrated has boosted my confidence in recovering it with fabric.

Just brilliant

David

If you're interested, I'm blogging the resto HERE

Quick Reply