FliteTest Scratch Builds. (whose building them)? - Page 5 - RC Groups
Feb 22, 2014, 02:01 PM
Crash tests done dirt cheap!

I've done a couple...

The Baby Blender is the little bipe and its a great flier. Even better is the VersaWing. With a Blue Wonder and 1300 LIPO you can do the "low and slow thing" nicely but can also show off with higher speed passes, rolls and loops, both inside and outside. I have a modified Duster ready and waiting for better weather.

My only issue with DTF is paper separation when damp. Using the MinWax treatment and/or sealing the high traffic edges with hot glue or tape works but is a little heavy. I find the DTF without the paper quite weak and not suitable for use in an airframe.

For low cost and high fun-factor, I don't think you can beat the FT designs.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 22, 2014, 03:05 PM
I meant to do that
I just flew my Duster in high winds, about 15mph and gusting. It tracked VERY WELL. I love it. Looking forward to more flights and more builds.

Krumpel, any pics of a versa wing? I was thinking about that one too.
Feb 22, 2014, 03:49 PM
Flying Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro
I just flew my Duster in high winds, about 15mph and gusting. It tracked VERY WELL. I love it. Looking forward to more flights and more builds.

Krumpel, any pics of a versa wing? I was thinking about that one too.
Here you go bud, this is my Versa wing. I would rather run a 1300 mah battery but I needed the nose weight so I put in a 2200.
Feb 22, 2014, 04:13 PM
I meant to do that
Sweet! I might have try that one too. FT-22, Viggen, Versawing.....so much to do.
Feb 22, 2014, 04:31 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Krumpel ,

[QUOTE= I find the DTF without the paper quite weak and not suitable for use in an airframe. [/QUOTE]

I made a 60" long and 60" wingspan Old Fogey ( ish ) out of paperless DTF , double layer in a few places where I felt it needed more strength . I'm sure it won't be able to handle any high G's , but it cruises around just fine . There isn't even a spar on the ( 60" x 20" ) wing , just a length of fiber tape underneath .

Al

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)

Another video of 60" Old Fogey (3 min 39 sec)
Feb 22, 2014, 06:33 PM
Flying Low
newTOpro you will love the FT-22. Im looking for a new motor for mine now. Want it to be as fast as possible.
Feb 22, 2014, 06:42 PM
I'm going to build the old fogey but can anyone tell me the origional wingspan? I'm going to need to scale up to get to 60 inches but by how much?
Feb 22, 2014, 06:45 PM
I meant to do that
Cbarnes, thanks for the insight. I do think that's my next Flite Test plane as I have electronics for it in the parts bin. Cool.
Feb 22, 2014, 07:29 PM
New Pilot in Wise Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro
Sweet! I might have try that one too. FT-22, Viggen, Versawing.....so much to do.
Well, I got to fly my FT F-22 plane for the first time today. Although I did crash (more than once) I was absolutely amazed at how well this plane flew!!!!! Honestly amazed!!!! Did I forget to say I was amazed?????

Seriously though. I'm a newbie to this whole RC plane thing....started into it blindly back in sept 2013 when I bought a Hawk Sky and found that it wasn't remotely as simple as throwing it in the air and merely flying it. That first plane (which I still have and still fly) made me realize that you:
A: Have to accept crashing as part of the hobby...yeah, you will crash.
B: Fixing the plane back into flyable condition is part of the hobby
C: You can repair the majority of foam plane crashes
D: The repairs don't have to look 'factory' or near perfect ....they just need to work and keep the plane flying.

So back to my FT F-22 maiden flight story. On the very first launch....it was darting and dipping all over the place....until it went down in some weeds. It didn't break anything on the first crash....just very slightly chipped some foam from back behind the propeller. At this point I realized that my control surface throws were set way too high and I didn't have any expo dialed in. This was the first model of the F-22 that Flite Test created and I'm pretty sure that they didn't give any throws or expo recommendations. So anyway, I set my low rates throws to 50% and dialed in about 30% expo. Another toss into the wind and it flew wonderfully....needing very little trim.....even having some respectfully long periods of flight that were 'hands off' of the controller. I flew out the entire 850mah battery on this flight! Loved it!

Changed batteries and tossed it again.......wind caught it and with the low throws and expo I wasn't able to recover it. Crashed into the weeds again....this time snapping the nose to one side but not completely breaking it off.. Two popsicle sticks and some packing tape and I was back in the air again (but without adjusting my throws or expo . This time I didn't go very far and the plane literally drove straight into the ground like a dart. Seriously, it didn't fall over, it stood there straight up with about and inch of the nose buried in the soft ground. We all had a good laugh.

This crash had done the nose in pretty good. It now was bent in the shape of a Z. So, I merely took a knife and trimmed off the approximate 4 inches that had snapped. I smoothed some tape around the remaining front portion. Then I dialed my throws back up to about 60% with 35% expo. Back in the sky I went and it fly like it was on rails!!!!

I flew it many many times more that evening....loving every minute of it. Did some low passes and loops. And despite the wind, it was some of the best flying this newbie has ever done.

So, I'm back home now. Went downstairs and did some cosmetic surgery on the F-22. I hope to have it back in the air tomorrow....weather permitting.

PS...did I forget to say I love these things!!!
Last edited by c.cupp2; Feb 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Feb 24, 2014, 10:27 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Hi Guy's,

Some inspirational builds here! Looking forward to seeing some photos of member built FT Viggen's! I've loved the Viggen and its splinter scheme since I was a kid (many years ago) and was excited when I saw Davids hot wire cut version fly in the Flite Test video. I've built balsa models for years but that hot wire cut fuselage looked a bit daunting for me to attempt, I didn't realize that they came out with a DT Foam version of it until two weeks ago and just placed an order for the speed build kit! David's version looks great in the air and seems to be a manageable build as well as great performer (we'll see)! This will be my first EDF as well!

Enjoyed reading the thread up to this point (especially the DT Foam tips) and am considering building the Versa wing to warm up for the Viggen build, subscribed!

Robin
Latest blog entry: Top Ten Favorite Planes
Feb 24, 2014, 10:34 PM
I meant to do that
Robin, good to see you here. I can't wait to see your Viggen or Versawing build after seeing what you can do with a FunCub!
Feb 24, 2014, 10:59 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
newTOpro,

Likewise and Thanks! Always good to see a familiar name when venturing into a new 'arena'! Since Gabe & Beaves have a few of these under their belts and Watts cooking is starting a Viggen build I sent them a link to this thread so maybe we'll be hearing from them as well!

Robin
Latest blog entry: Top Ten Favorite Planes
Feb 24, 2014, 11:13 PM
Tree hopper
Hey guys I got two built , the delta has been flown!! Got to maiden the Dusty, I got the motor today. Maybe this weekend, looks like it is going to be a nice one.
Feb 24, 2014, 11:20 PM
I meant to do that
Nice Dusty gabe. How do you like the Delta, I have the Flyer but looking for a little more speed out of the blue wonder. I was thinking a Delta might be the ticket
Feb 24, 2014, 11:45 PM
Tree hopper
OH yea, now slow speed flying with it, bang on go plane, pull it back and it drops. Kinda squirrely like Beaves said. If dusty is a slow flyer I'll be fine with it.