FliteTest Scratch Builds. (whose building them)? - Page 3 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 18, 2014, 06:51 AM
yank and bank!!
Does anyone know for certain what kind of foam they use in their kits?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2014, 07:48 AM
Flying Low
cbarnes0061's Avatar
You can get it at the Dollar Tree. It is technically called Adams Foam Board. Here is a link to there site. http://adamsplasticsinc.com/index.php/readi-board
Hope this helps.
Feb 18, 2014, 02:06 PM
I meant to do that
eMoon's Avatar

FT Duster


Here's my Duster and FT Flyer for snow.
Last edited by eMoon; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM.
Feb 18, 2014, 02:10 PM
I meant to do that
eMoon's Avatar
double post
Last edited by eMoon; Feb 18, 2014 at 02:46 PM.
Feb 18, 2014, 02:12 PM
I meant to do that
eMoon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
* Use lightweight spackle to fill in the cavity left along the edge of the foam by the laser
.
A neat tip I used was to take an iron (any iron like a clothes iron or a hobby iron) and round over the edges of the foam. The heat remelts the foam and wraps the paper into a nice closed rounded edge that makes it super stiff and strong. I mostly used it on the exposed leading edges of the wings and fuse. No added material saving weight.

http://flitetest.com/articles/hot-tip-iron-your-edges
Feb 18, 2014, 02:43 PM
Jer. 29:11
jeffsch's Avatar
NTO, thanks for the tip! Nice work on the Duster!
Feb 18, 2014, 04:42 PM
Registered User
I really like Al's Old Fogey planes. I'm going to have to build one of those. They fly like feathers. Even I would have trouble putting holes in the earth flying something that slow. I have two other lawn darts to finish first.
Feb 18, 2014, 05:36 PM
beemerdon
beemerdon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro
A neat tip I used was to take an iron (any iron like a clothes iron or a hobby iron) and round over the edges of the foam. The heat remelts the foam and wraps the paper into a nice closed rounded edge that makes it super stiff and strong. I mostly used it on the exposed leading edges of the wings and fuse. No added material saving weight.

http://flitetest.com/articles/hot-tip-iron-your-edges
Fantastic tip; thanks! That bugged me on my Spitfire so I filled the 'valley' with some hot glue and rubbed it out but that just added weight. Your way is awesome!

Don
Feb 18, 2014, 06:37 PM
Registered User
I'll have to try that iron trick myself. They have a lot of good building tips keeping everything simple and super easy to build. I like the tip where they wipe the edges of the foam with the hot glue to keep the paper from lifting.

I haven't tried the oil based polyurethane for the sealer yet. I don't mind the extra weight of the paper, so the ease of building suits me.
Feb 18, 2014, 06:50 PM
I meant to do that
eMoon's Avatar
The poly coating is great. Doesn't add any weight really and makes it super simple to paint. Just beware, hot glue doesn't stick as well so poly the plane after you build it
Feb 18, 2014, 07:02 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
balsa or carbon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow
I really like Al's Old Fogey planes. I'm going to have to build one of those. They fly like feathers. Even I would have trouble putting holes in the earth flying something that slow. I have two other lawn darts to finish first.
Hey Low and Slow ,

You know I'm gonna want to see a video if you build one !

Al
Feb 18, 2014, 07:44 PM
Registered User
WombatControl's Avatar
I've build a plethora of FT Nutballs, an FT Delta, a short-lived Baby Blender, an FT Bloody Wonder, a Versa Wing, and will eventually complete the FT Cruiser if I ever get around to it. I tend to really like the FT designs - they're cheap, not too hard to build, and generally fly very, very well.
Feb 18, 2014, 08:41 PM
Registered User
doc993's Avatar
I just bought a Spit and a Viggen, The speed build kits are vary high quality, scratch build's will follow.
Feb 18, 2014, 09:03 PM
I meant to do that
eMoon's Avatar
I've got the electrics for the FT-22 but can't find plans. Did they not post them?
Feb 18, 2014, 09:45 PM
Flying Low
cbarnes0061's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro
I've got the electrics for the FT-22 but can't find plans. Did they not post them?
here are the tiled plans. For whatever reason when I printed these they didnt line up so I just printed the full size plans with the poster format and everything worked out great.
Here is the link to where both set are at. they are at the bottom of the page.
http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-22-raptor-build

It is a great flying little plane and I love it.


Thread Tools