Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 10, 2014, 10:54 PM
Flying Low
How do the rudders perform on the bloody wonder?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2014, 11:12 PM

versa wing

built a versa wing last week, covered it with laminate, installed fpv gear.. all up weight with 3000 mah 3s is 891 grams.

30 amp esc, 1500kv motor...
FT Versa Wing (7 min 29 sec)
Feb 10, 2014, 11:13 PM

versa wing

double post
Feb 11, 2014, 01:16 AM
7up
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
I really like their design styles as far as construction goes. Most fuses are all one piece of foam with relief cuts at all fold lines, neat and easy. I like the old timer slow fliers they have.

-Buk
Feb 11, 2014, 03:28 AM
Flying Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7up
I really like their design styles as far as construction goes. Most fuses are all one piece of foam with relief cuts at all fold lines, neat and easy. I like the old timer slow fliers they have.

-Buk
Agreed they have a very innovative way of working with foam. On another not has anybody sen their new episode on the Vigen made from dollar tree foam. Man that thing looks awesome.
Feb 11, 2014, 09:50 AM
Out the Window
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnes0061
Agreed they have a very innovative way of working with foam. On another not has anybody sen their new episode on the Vigen made from dollar tree foam. Man that thing looks awesome.
Oh yea, the Vigen is VERY cool.

If only I was up to flying such a airplane.

I have built a couple of their designs. I finished a Old Speedster and flew it once....not a great experience. Their designs with DT foam with the paper on tend to be heavy.

I have built a couple of other airplanes from designs I found here on the foamie forum that fly great. They use the DT foam but with the paper removed. Much lighter which translates into slower flying.

Just my experience.
Last edited by High Flyin'; Feb 11, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Feb 11, 2014, 10:06 AM
Searching for Bluecor
Quote:
How do the rudders perform on the bloody wonder?
For easy/level flying, dialed back dual rates/expos are a must. With full authority and throttle, it adds a whole new dimension of fun with this small frame. Knife edges are quite squirrley.
Feb 11, 2014, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Nice coloring job. I did my profile with markers as well. Did you build their original FT3D or use the plans that were revised by the 3D Hobby Shop Team pilot?
I believe the plans I used were the revised plans, but my friend had them printed and cut out for me. I am currently working on the Spitfire, and hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get started on the Viggen. I just put in an order for a 70mm ducted fan. To be honest, I am just as excited about painting them as I am flying them.
Feb 12, 2014, 12:04 AM
Flying Low
Yeah I will be starting on the viggen as soon as possible. One of the guys I fly with told me he had a 70mm EDF unit and 60 amp ESC that he would donate to the project. I'm very tempted though to build the thrust vectoring one though. It was doing some crazy loops in the video.
Feb 12, 2014, 03:33 PM
Just here for the pie.
I've built a couple Old Fogeys and a F-22 (pictures of these and more on my RCG blog).

The power-pod concept is AWESOME and it inspired me to modify it for easy expansion and build several other planes--converting from traditional plans.

Cheers!
Randall
Feb 12, 2014, 04:30 PM
Using foamboard with paperskin still on is wayyy to heavy/clunky for my tastes.

Besides there are Sooo. many ..proven... designs in the 'stickies' at the begining of the forum that it would take a lifetime to build those.... let alone look elsewhere
Feb 12, 2014, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare

Besides there are Sooo. many ..proven... designs in the 'stickies' at the begining of the forum that it would take a lifetime to build those.... let alone look elsewhere
I've actually spent the last month or so building a "to build" list and have been through the sticky plans in the forums several times. There really aren't that many scratchbuilt plans that are made from DTF relative to the other types of foam, and modifying them is not always straightforward. I also haven't seen anyone say something like "yeah that was built from Depron but you could build it from DTF just as easily." ExperimentalAir is the only one I know for sure.

Bring on the DTF-specific plans. I love the flitetest techniques.
Last edited by wood_butcher; Feb 12, 2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: typo
Feb 12, 2014, 05:50 PM
Flying Low
I have built with Depron, blue FFF, and DTF. I would take the DTF over FFF any day. In my opinion the what you save in weight with the FFF isn't worth it for how stiff the DTF is. Yes I like Depron the best but it is expensive. So I will continue to build with DTF.
Feb 13, 2014, 06:23 AM
I have followed flte test for just over a year now and have enjoyed them. I bought the Old Speedster speed build kit and think that this is the way to go. While the speedster is an intermediate build, by talking small steps while building its beginning to look great! Having build videos instead of paper instructons works well for me.
Feb 17, 2014, 11:09 PM
Jer. 29:11

Old Fogey

I took the plunge during a recent sale and ordered a number of speed build kits. I started with the Old Fogey and have been intrigued to see the thought put into this model, often using unassuming materials and techniques to good effect. It really is neat how the model folds up nice and square!

Here are some small mods suggested on related threads:

* Add a light ply reinforcement where the landing gear rubs against the fuse

* Add 1" wide scraps of foam centered under the wing to center it automatically when attaching it to the fuse

* Use lightweight spackle to fill in the cavity left along the edge of the foam by the laser

* Minwax (after assembly)

* Put a small 'drop' of hot glue on the ends of the skewers to minimize splitting

* Epoxy small washers on either side of the wheels to act as collars

The only thing I found slightly difficult is using hot glue; I found it hard to apply it neatly and sparingly -- no doubt it's a learned skill.

Following the general advice of good friends, I'll paint and/or decorate it after it's first flights.

Now I'm waiting on the motor and other electronics -- ordered from Heads Up RC over the weekend.