Jan 17, 2020, 06:56 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
I have been also searching and found the Emax 2215 /09 or the 2215/12. They seem quite powerful for their size, and also cost nearly half of the price of the ones Graupner sells :O
Brushless can rotate on either direction as far as I know, so no need for CW or CCW motors, if that exists in brushless motors.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2020, 07:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa
I have been also searching and found the Emax 2215 /09 or the 2215/12. They seem quite powerful for their size, and also cost nearly half of the price of the ones Graupner sells :O
Brushless can rotate on either direction as far as I know, so no need for CW or CCW motors, if that exists in brushless motors.
Those motors I linked are the exact motors in FT power pack C , and they are multi-rotor motors with threaded shafts that are CW and CCW .... so you would need a compatible prop .

But yes , any motor about the same size & kv should work .
Jan 17, 2020, 07:55 PM
Ok, thanks.. Didn't know about the shaft thread
Yeah, Graupner ones are really too expensive. Well, they aren't too expensive, I can't spend so much money
I have just found a couple Tower pro "bm 2409-18" motors. Any experience with them? According to the specs they should have about 700g thrust.
Not any near the 2215, but I wonder if enough for the guinea pig..
Jan 17, 2020, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Yeah, Graupner ones are really too expensive. Well, they aren't too expensive, I can't spend so much money
I have just found a couple Tower pro "bm 2409-18" motors. Any experience with them? According to the specs they should have about 700g thrust.
You need to consider the weight of the foamboard you are using, if it isn't Adams redi-board or flitetest board, go with the more powerful motor
Jan 17, 2020, 08:46 PM
It is the flite test kit. With the brown paper..
By the way, can this be spray painted? If so, does it need any prep?
Thanks

Joćo
Jan 17, 2020, 08:47 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Banggood has a 2822 1200kv motor for $11.15 USD ( 10.05 Euro ) :
https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-E...r_warehouse=CN

Or a 2812 1400kv for $10.77 ( 9.71 Euro ) :
https://www.banggood.com/EMAX-CF2812...r_warehouse=CN
Jan 17, 2020, 09:24 PM
Quote:
It is the flite test kit. With the brown paper..
By the way, can this be spray painted? If so, does it need any prep?
Thanks

Joćo
surfaces need to be scuffed with sandpaper a bit
Jan 17, 2020, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. I used to design and build my own planes a few moons ago when we used balsa, there were no Lipo batteries, and radios were 35Mhz.
I guess I got a bit rusty with the new materials. Before we used balsa wood, plywood, and nitro engines
I did build the Flite test Duster for my son, but it was too heavy. It is hanging in my son's bedroom.
But now he saw the Guinea pig dropping stuff and he fell in love with it. He is 9 now and already flies solo.
I came back to the hobby a while ago but been more dedicated to its electronics, building my own radios and receivers from some open source projects. It is all fun.
Need to build a Frsky compatible receiver for this plane. I am a bit better with a soldering iron than with a glue gun

Thanks again for your help..

Joćo
Jan 18, 2020, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Banggood has a 2822 1200kv motor for $11.15 USD ( 10.05 Euro ) :

https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-E...r_warehouse=CN

Or a 2812 1400kv for $10.77 ( 9.71 Euro ) :

https://www.banggood.com/EMAX-CF2812...r_warehouse=CN
I have plenty of those Emax 2822 here at home, but not sure they will be strong enough fot the guinea pig?
Jan 19, 2020, 06:22 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Quote:
On these old school Tower Pro "bicycle bell" type motors(Basically some of the earlist affordable brushless motors avilable to the Rc hobby): They are mechanically sound in themselves, but drawbacks are weight (typ. ~60-70g nearly regardless of the type) and the long 3mm threaded axle, that's usually a bit thricky to find a good prop solution for, as the thread starts a bit far out from the bell (often ends in bent axles), so you'd have to cut the axle and be lucky to find a prop adapter that fits the 3mm straight (Not 3.17mm!) axle stub.
I have a couple with a different winding for 840kV, one of which I have combined with 3S and a homebrewn "franken-propadapter" made from bits and pieces from a spinner set with a 11x6 folding prop in 1kg old school 2m glider. It will not go fast, but I can climb at 60-70 degrees from horisontal without issues. Works with the glider, but useless with faster planes.

Bottom line: I'd look for something a bit more current and closer to the motor spec'ed by FT, both for power and with respect to keeping CG under control, and especially to be able to fit a suitable prop without too much extra hassle.
Jan 20, 2020, 09:16 AM
Quote:
I have plenty of those Emax 2822 here at home, but not sure they will be strong enough fot the guinea pig?
I'm using these motors and she flies very well on 4S. And consider that I don't have the FT foam board, but same locally available foam, which is around 25-30% heavier. Thrust is around 900 gr./motor with 8x4,5 propeller @30A, which is OK for short periods of time and 1.980 gr AUW
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3275...27424c4dsuJZ0E
Jan 20, 2020, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Emax 2822 here at home, but not sure they will be strong enough for the guinea pig?
It all comes down to the plane's weight.
Two Emax 2822 drive this Bombardier Q400 no problem.
Name: Q400Complete.JPG
Views: 13
Size: 173.6 KB
Description:
60" span and weighs 32 oz.
Jan 20, 2020, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys.. might give the emax or the tower pro motirs that I already have here at home a try. The Emax 2822 were used on a wooden quad I built a few years ago and has been waiting to be rebuilt since a couple years now. But it was a complicated build with spacecraft type retracts, also self built. I don't think it's worth the hassle to rebuild that. So I will use the motors and ESCs

Joćo

Edit: And that is a great looking model.you have there
Jan 20, 2020, 12:56 PM
Here is a couple videos from the quad I mentioned above.. Sorry if it is off topic.

Joćo

Quad Update.. Nearly ready (1 min 1 sec)

Quad Update - Finally Flying (6 min 18 sec)
Mar 18, 2020, 05:11 PM
Flying Low
Thread OP
Here is a build or should I say design I’m working on. Started 2D AutoCAD drawings over a year ago and got busy with other stuff. Now I have access to 3D software so I’m getting it all into it now to better visualize it all. As I get more pieces drawn and assembled I will share them here. So far though here is the tail section and partial hatch for a balsa version of the FT Simple Scout. Lots of changes with it though. Scaled it up to 48” span to use a 3S 2200 setup on it. Removed dihedral. Will end up having 2 piece removable wings. The plan is if it all comes together nicely and flys well to offer the files up to FliteTest to see if they are interested in kitting it for others to enjoy who would like a balsa build.

Wiggling bits (0 min 11 sec)

Quick Reply