Jul 03, 2019, 01:25 PM
Here's my latest video on the FT Simple Cub. So far, this is my best flight to date even though it ended prematurely.

FT Simple Cub Flight (3 channel)...I think this plane is cursed! (6 min 17 sec)

To make a long story short, I had a few short nose down crashes that bent the motor shaft on my last motor. Despite many attempts, I couldn't get the old shaft out to replace it so I just switched to a different motor. I also changed the firewall from wood (last wood one broke) to plastic.

Others have mentioned using Loctite blue on my motor mount screws which so far I've never used it on my motor mounting screws. Never had any issues with them vibrating off either...so guess I've been lucky so far.

I think the flying characteristics are pretty good. It is kind of a clipped wing cub style and this is my first experience with this type. I do wonder how she'd fly with a longer wing.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2019, 04:21 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
Normally qe should balance our propellers to avoid vibrations. They can kill a model

Joćo

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk
Jul 20, 2019, 10:02 PM

Simple Soarer

It is probably right in front of me, but I cannot find the plans for the FT Simple Soarer. Yes, I have used the search function. Can anyone provide a link? Thanks in advance. G'day.
Jul 20, 2019, 10:35 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat20
It is probably right in front of me, but I cannot find the plans for the FT Simple Soarer. Yes, I have used the search function. Can anyone provide a link? Thanks in advance. G'day.
Scroll down past the video and 12 photos on this page :

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/f...e-soarer-build
Jul 20, 2019, 10:37 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Here you go:

Original article: FT Simple Soarer Build

Full size plans: Simple Soarer Full Size

Tiled plans: Simple Soarer Tiled

Jon
Jul 25, 2019, 08:41 PM
Msg Rcvd. Thanks immensely. I looked all over the FliteTest site and could not find it. Once again, probably right in front of me. I intend to modify the model slightly to make it look a little more like a Bird of Time.
Jul 26, 2019, 12:03 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
I looked all over the FliteTest site and could not find it.
The easiest and best way to find anything is with Google ↓
Sep 13, 2019, 10:10 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
On any of the search engines (Google, Bing, DDG, etc.) you can restrict a search to a set of websites by adding the "site:" qualifier.

For example, searching for:

Quote:
simple soarer site:flitetest.com
does the trick.
Sep 13, 2019, 10:15 PM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
Oh, and my FT P-40 was perfect. Now, I'm setting up to do my own build of the Farman Goliath.
Sep 14, 2019, 04:36 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80
Oh, and my FT P-40 was perfect. Now, I'm setting up to do my own build of the Farman Goliath.
Are you going to use Flite Test building techniques for the most part? Flite Test doesn't get a lot of respect, maybe because of their goofy antics and ridiculous builds. Once I had built a couple of their airplanes from plans I realized I could use that knowledge to easily build almost any airplane I wanted. That's one of the things I appreciate about them for bringing to the hobby. Very quickly I was reproducing balsa airplanes I built as a youth in dollar store foam board.
Sep 14, 2019, 09:43 AM
AMA 986339 FCC KB5LAM/4
I am planning to use their ideas, but the prototype will be hand drafted, with me creating templates for major parts. This will let me make up each panel separately and I'll use kraft paper tape to bridge the edges, where they plan their A/B/C folds.

I did discover that using a medium sanding block to knock the water-resistant shine off of the brown paper (along glue contact lines) allows CA to be used. The CA wicks through the paper to bond against the foam.

I'm planning to use the white Adams Rediboard for the prototype fuselage build. I have about 30 sheets in the shop. The wings may be of MPF, because of the length. I'm planning one piece wings.

You see the line on the fuselage where the constant-section middle transitions to the tapered-section tail? I'm planning a fuselage break there, with the tail removable. This will allow the wings and forward fuselage to fit in the car without disassembly with the tail next to it.

I'm also planning to have the nose forward of the wing be a removable (pull-forward) cover over a tray for battery and electronics.

Because the wing tips will be so close to the ground, I'm planning on using a Rx with a wing-leveling gyro. Recently, I tested the Lemon Rx successfully on a FMS Mitchell.

I'm planning on drawing up the fuselage in the next few days.

DavidT

Quick Reply