FliteTest Scratch Builds. (whose building them)? - Page 112 - RC Groups
Sep 13, 2017, 05:14 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzr11803
Looks like it flew pretty nice in the video! If you don't mind my asking where are you flying in Bucks County?
Thanks! I'm flying at Pegasus RC Club's Flying Site in Core Creek Park Langhorne Pa.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2017, 08:51 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
And I'm pretty sure I'm adding some LEDs to help me with orientation when I fly just before sundown.
Nice Cubby. Congratulations on the successful flights. I think the Simple Cub will be Flite Test's most popular model to date. I painted an airplane using dark colors like your Cub once. Even on bright days I had trouble with orientation because very often the airplane appeared as just a silhouette in the sky. I couldn't tell if it was coming or going. I use mostly lighter colors now with dark marking for top/bottom orientation. Your idea of adding LEDs will certainly help when flying in low light.
Sep 14, 2017, 10:13 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast
I've got big white and black checker boards on the bottoms of the wings and big white stripes on the top. I can see them easily. It's when it's viewed from the side where I get into trouble. I added a small black and white checker board to the side of the fuse. But it's not enough. It's a pita to change the color when you've used tape. So that's not an option (unless I rebuild). So this thing will get pimped out with some appropriately colored LEDS to help me.

My next plane (in construction right now) will feature a white body with red stripes. No more of that black tape unless it's used as an accent!
Sep 14, 2017, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Thanks! I'm flying at Pegasus RC Club's Flying Site in Core Creek Park Langhorne Pa.
How did you guys make that smooth takeoff area on your field? My club field doesn't have a good area for takeoff/landing for foamies.
Sep 14, 2017, 11:04 AM
Just came across some posts of those who used foamboard that s heavier than the FT foambnoard having balance issues....... Guess ill have to add weight to the nose. Ive got a 40 amp esc, if i could get that up front aswell. maybe
Sep 14, 2017, 12:36 PM
Multirotor Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rc
How did you guys make that smooth takeoff area on your field? My club field doesn't have a good area for takeoff/landing for foamies.
I think they cut the grass real short and then used a heavy roller. But honestly, it's still real tough to take off from. That's why I take off from that small section of landing mat. And as for a plane that has landing gear, ...I just try to land in the real high grass more often than not.
Sep 14, 2017, 01:08 PM
Our club owns our flying field. Back in the early 60s we got tired of getting booted out of everywhere we went to fly. 6 of us pooled our money and bought 35 acres out in the boonies. about 18 miles from Kingston. At first we had the local farmers come in and plow and level a landing strip about a 100 ft wide and 400 ft long. About 115 club members. This yr we had a 1/4 scale meet with 117 planes registered.

Gord.
Sep 14, 2017, 07:46 PM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Very nice field!
Sep 14, 2017, 09:23 PM
There is also an Ultralite flying field about a mile down the road. The owner is a former model flier. He tells his members not to fly under 400 ft over our field. When he first started up, him and a buddy had permission to land on our field. They stayed and watched us for a while before leaving. One had a BMW bike motor on it and only took about a 100 ft to lift off. We have good relationships. When he has a Fly in, we take a few models over for a demonstration.

Gord.
Sep 15, 2017, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
There is also an Ultralite flying field about a mile down the road. The owner is a former model flier. He tells his members not to fly under 400 ft over our field. When he first started up, him and a buddy had permission to land on our field. They stayed and watched us for a while before leaving. One had a BMW bike motor on it and only took about a 100 ft to lift off. We have good relationships. When he has a Fly in, we take a few models over for a demonstration.

Gord.
at my local flying club we have had helicopters come well under 400ft above our flying field, just a few months ago an ambulance heli came tearing it up over the field did a u turn and headed back the way it came.... just as well no o ne was flying
Sep 15, 2017, 02:18 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
at my local flying club we have had helicopters come well under 400ft above our flying field, just a few months ago an ambulance heli came tearing it up over the field did a u turn and headed back the way it came.... just as well no o ne was flying
That could come in handy .......

Helicopter Pilots Rescue RC Plane From Tree (4 min 53 sec)
Sep 15, 2017, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
That could come in handy .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K2I1bbrh2E
not when im flying my 600!!!
Sep 16, 2017, 03:33 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
I have an FT Power Pack C, and would like to buy an FT kit to put it in.

Can anyone suggest what is the best-flying FT kit for the Power Pack C?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2017, 06:55 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
For the 'C' pack it's a toss-up between the Simple Cub and the Simple Storch. Both are excellent fliers.
Sep 16, 2017, 09:23 PM
I flew my tlar ol fogey today and even though the ground level winds were low the thermals were booming. After gaining quite a bit of height I shut the motor off and nearly specked out. had a buzzard join me and when it came to come back down I was scared I would lose my model. Took full down elevator and rudder just to loose altitude. 45 minute flight off a 2s 500mah turnigy pack.