FliteTest Scratch Builds. (whose building them)? - Page 108 - RC Groups
Apr 10, 2017, 08:45 PM
Honorable Deplorable
I have the mini war birds coming to me soon, and am curious how you guys are painting the new foam board?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2017, 06:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woogie_man
I have the mini war birds coming to me soon, and am curious how you guys are painting the new foam board?
I rough up the waxy surface with a Magic Eraser, which acts like very, very fine sandpaper. Brush or blow off the dust and then use spray paint and it adheres great.
Apr 21, 2017, 05:43 AM
Before and after of the "tiny" pietenpol 3d printed engine. I made the intake out of model car tree plastic. The carb heater around the exhaust is prop adapters glued together to make a Quaker state can. A flexie straw for the hose going to a mock carb. Plug wires for detail. Not 110% scale but good enough.

Next is radiator detail.

Also extended the cowl for a finished look around the engine " currently drying" had to respray.
Apr 23, 2017, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashEMhard
Before and after of the "tiny" pietenpol 3d printed engine. I made the intake out of model car tree plastic. The carb heater around the exhaust is prop adapters glued together to make a Quaker state can. A flexie straw for the hose going to a mock carb. Plug wires for detail. Not 110% scale but good enough.

Next is radiator detail.

Also extended the cowl for a finished look around the engine " currently drying" had to respray.

Nicely done!
Apr 23, 2017, 01:16 PM
Wow, crashEMhard, that looks incredible!

I just found this thread and I've been building the FT planes since October of last year - I taught myself to fly airplanes by splitting 3 or 4 of the Mini Arrows in half... Lol!

Question: Anybody who's built the Mini Arrow, Using the "Elevon Setup Gage" to set your neutral position, does your plane dive mercilessly into the ground without significant elevator trim? All of my arrows have done this despite my balancing them "perfectly" on the provided CG marks. I've even tried shifting the CG back about 1/4" and that doesn't seem to affect anything... Is 600g AUW just too high for this wing? It flies great trimmed back, but I'd like to figure out how to reduce the drag by using less trim, if possible.

Here's pics, cuz everyone likes those:
(The mini arrow is set up with a 6x4.5 prop, 2208-1800kV, 1300mAh 4S, and a Runcam Owl/600mW Vtx currently)
Apr 23, 2017, 10:49 PM
When cows fly!
Gotta love the Storch! This is version 2. I am currently working on version 3. Hopefully will have maiden video soon.

First Flight of 2016 (5 min 50 sec)
Jun 16, 2017, 06:36 AM
Remote Controlled Crashes

Ripslinger

Flies again

FliteTest FT racer Ripslinger chase FPV flights (5 min 26 sec)
Jun 16, 2017, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcok
Flies again
Beautiful! That bird tracks as if on rails.

Jeff
Jul 03, 2017, 01:52 PM
Youtube channel: Wikiperkya
So far I've built the FT Simple Storch, FT Seaduck, and just now started the FT Super Bee. Seaduck is a kit, the rest are scratch builds. And my wife has done a scratch build of the Baby Blender.

I have flown both the Storch and Seaduck...only have videos of the Storch though. Gonna do a video on the Seaduck after it is painted. Here's my latest video on the Storch.

FT Simple Storch Memorial Day flight... (3 min 34 sec)
Jul 03, 2017, 11:05 PM
When cows fly!
basslord1124,
Glad you got some tape on that bird! Great flights and I knew that you would enjoy her So....ditch the tiny motor and 3s! Stuff in a Turnigy G15 and hang a 11X8.6 prop off the nose. You will have to beef her up a bit on the inside with some lite ply. Oh, and ditch the semi scale landing gear and put a cheap HK fiber glass/fake carbon fiber landing gear on it. Also toss on some 4 inch foamy tires! Two 2200 mah 2s run together will give you 4s and you will have soo much fun! I also took out the dihedreal a reinforced the wings and the tail feathers. I reloacted the rudder and elevator servos to the center with some tube push rods.

Its Gotta Be a Record! (7 min 37 sec)
Jul 05, 2017, 09:04 AM
Youtube channel: Wikiperkya
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146
basslord1124,
Glad you got some tape on that bird! Great flights and I knew that you would enjoy her So....ditch the tiny motor and 3s! Stuff in a Turnigy G15 and hang a 11X8.6 prop off the nose. You will have to beef her up a bit on the inside with some lite ply. Oh, and ditch the semi scale landing gear and put a cheap HK fiber glass/fake carbon fiber landing gear on it. Also toss on some 4 inch foamy tires! Two 2200 mah 2s run together will give you 4s and you will have soo much fun! I also took out the dihedreal a reinforced the wings and the tail feathers. I reloacted the rudder and elevator servos to the center with some tube push rods.

https://youtu.be/TLUXSdL3lNE
I watched some of your videos already and could've sworn I heard you mention in one of them about a 11" or 12" prop...I was like what?!?!

Honestly after fooling with it, I hate the tape lol. I'll keep it on there (well don't have much choice) but future builds I am gonna stick with paint. I'll tell you originally I had wondered about 4S on this thing, but just stuck with 3S for now. One thing I would like though is to beef up the ESC in it. Running a 30A and had to back down my prop size as not to potentially burn it up. FT keeps their specs a little close for comfort for me...did the recommended prop/battery/ESC and was pushing 32A (on a 30A ESC) with fully charged battery...ummm no thanks! I like headroom with my ESC.

I like the updates you have done, especially the new servo location. Looks nice! One thing I really like though and may end up doing is the screws you used on attaching the wing. I am still rubber banding mine. And yeah, not the biggest fan of the landing gear.
Jul 05, 2017, 09:49 PM
When cows fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by basslord1124
I watched some of your videos already and could've sworn I heard you mention in one of them about a 11" or 12" prop...I was like what?!?!

Honestly after fooling with it, I hate the tape lol. I'll keep it on there (well don't have much choice) but future builds I am gonna stick with paint. I'll tell you originally I had wondered about 4S on this thing, but just stuck with 3S for now. One thing I would like though is to beef up the ESC in it. Running a 30A and had to back down my prop size as not to potentially burn it up. FT keeps their specs a little close for comfort for me...did the recommended prop/battery/ESC and was pushing 32A (on a 30A ESC) with fully charged battery...ummm no thanks! I like headroom with my ESC.

I like the updates you have done, especially the new servo location. Looks nice! One thing I really like though and may end up doing is the screws you used on attaching the wing. I am still rubber banding mine. And yeah, not the biggest fan of the landing gear.
Yeah, the wing mounting was problematic for me once I started pushing the Speed Build Kit that I purchased from Flight Test. Don't Blender with rubber bands! The landing gear didn't hold up well here on the ranch! Since I don't have to transport, I bolt the wing on if I need to gain access, otherwise I glue the bugger in! Keep up the great work and flying! I enjoy the construction bits on this forum, but I really enjoy the flight videos! Especially the "Oh Crap" moments......video will be uploaded tomorrow as long as it is viewable
Jul 06, 2017, 06:08 AM
Can anyone reccomend me a plane?
Thinking about one of the war birds, such as FT racer/ spitfire/ sportser. Which one would you prefer, looking for a fast, manouverable tractor plane after flying the wings for a while!
Jul 07, 2017, 10:57 PM
If you want something fast with great flight characteristics then definitely look at one of my designs. My Chipmunk and P-39 would be great options.

http://www.nerdnic.com