Hitec Weekender eHawkEye - RC Groups
Feb 08, 2014, 06:14 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Discussion

Hitec Weekender eHawkEye

I picked the eHawkEye up from my LHS this past Monday or maybe Tuesday. Basically the eHawkEye is a chuck glider with an electric motor on it. A simple and easy bird to fly and convenient to keep in the car.

What follows are an honest opinion of the plane. I have not flown the plane, due to weather so the comments are based on having the plane on the build table. I hope to fly the plane tomorrow. I expect it to be a fun little bird to fly and to enjoy the simple fun of rudder / elevator only.

Upon first opening the box I was greeted with a horrid benezine/chemical smell. Took the plane and box to the garage and to let it 'air' out all this week. Not the kind of odor you notice from MPX or other high quality kits but the odor one finds in the less expensive offerings from Asian manufacturers. I suppose the aroma was from the paint but not really sure. Regardless, not something I want to be smelling. Those sensitive to these chemical odors should take note of this issue.

Over all I am not outstandingly impressed with the plane .. based on its $99 price. The build quality of the plane was good, no major issues with the build. However, the electronics are a base grade motor and ESC and for $99 I would have expected better. The motor is is a plastic/composit case motor but does work fine. ESC is no name and from what I have seen is not programmable. Prop and hub are not high quality but will do the job. No idea who makes the servos as they are installed and I really did not want to pull them out. All components work fine, they just are not from the upper range of quality. Just based on the components, I would not expect this plane to sell for more than $65.

Minor issues were the hinge line on the elevator and rudder. The rudder hingeline will eventually fail as it is already weak and 'holey'. Issue with elevator were two fold. The horn holes are about .00002 smaller than the pushrod wire so be sure to run the wire through the holes before mounting the elevator. Not a biggie but do not cut the horizontal stab/elevator sides until you have cleared the horn holes.

The elevator hinge line was very stiff. Not a bad thing necessarily but to be expected on a foam hinge that is painted, just know that you will need to work the hinge to free it up and make if flexable. On mine I needed to take a small phillips screw driver and work the hinge line to weaken it. Once that is done the elevator works great.

Magnets on the canopy are way too weak. I will remove the front magnet and add a slightly larger one.

Not much space in the cockpit for battery, ESC and receiver. It will fit but not much room. There is a foam plug on the inside of the canopy and removing it with a knife will give more room for the battery. For a receiver I used the Tactic 6 channel from Tactic. Managed to pick up the TX and 6 receivers for a song and figured why not. Anyway, due to cockpit space I removed the housing from the receiver and heat shrinked the receiver before sliding it to the rear of the cockpit and underneath the wing, more or less.

C/G is 25mm from the leading edge. On my plane that put it at the same place on the wing where there are two moulding injection marks. The 25mm seems a little conservative and looking at the wing I think it could be moved back to about 30mm. On my plane with the 450mAh, 2s Xpower from Dualsky the plane was tail heavy when using the recommend 25mm C/G. After adding a larger magnet for the canopy I found the new balance point to be about 28mm from the leading edge.

For the budget minded this may not be a plane for them. The same quality can be had for less money. The outstanding quality of the plane so far is the EPO foam and the nicely painted wing and horizontal stabiliser.

Not disappointed in the purchase at all but others should understand that this is not a plane with name brand components. The MSRP is an outlandish $159.99 and the mark down is $99.99. For that $100 I would have expected better components. Pictures posted below are in no necessary order, just pictures to show the plane.
Last edited by Lou; Sep 04, 2017 at 11:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2017, 10:02 PM
Hi,

I just picked up one of these on a Cyber Monday sale from the Hitec Weekender Warehouse for $25.00 plus tax, with free shipping. For that price, I think it will be a good buy. Of course, I spent another $25 for three 2S 500 mah packs from Value Hobbies so I really have $50.00 into it. I wanted something to take along in the RV so hopefully this will do the trick.
Nov 28, 2017, 08:57 PM
wow it's true, they are only $25 there no joke!
Nov 28, 2017, 10:34 PM
Less than $30 at Tower Hobbies.
Nov 29, 2017, 02:33 PM
Hi guys, no special sale price or coupon needed, $25 with free shipping at Weekender Warehouse anytime!

http://www.weekenderwarehouse.com/ehawkeye-p2go/

Nov 29, 2017, 04:18 PM
They must have a ton of these. They were offering one free if you bought a case of 12!

I'm hoping this will be one of those hidden gems that didn't sell well at the original price of $99, but becomes popular when people try them out at the current $25-30 price. I wish there were replacement parts, at least for the hatch and folding prop assembly.
Nov 30, 2017, 02:13 PM
Hi mickydee,

We have a large number still available which is why we are offering them in a case quantity discount (12 come in a case) where you purchase 11 and get one free. It seems to be an excellent and well liked airplane but as for replacement parts, it's less expensive for you to purchase a new airplane than it is to buy the replacement parts (better yet, buy 11 airplanes and get one for spare parts free!)
Nov 30, 2017, 06:53 PM
Hi,

You make a good point. As soon as mine arrives I'll get her in the air and see what I think. If it's a keeper I'll go ahead and buy a spare.
Dec 02, 2017, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi,

You make a good point. As soon as mine arrives I'll get her in the air and see what I think. If it's a keeper I'll go ahead and buy a spare.
So what do you think of the plane? For the price I'm considering one
Dec 02, 2017, 11:20 PM
Hasn't arrived yet, (or a porch pirate got it).

I got a shipping notice two days ago so it should be here Monday?
Dec 07, 2017, 08:03 PM
Ah what the heck. I sent the link to my youngest saying hint hint. maybe one will be under the tree lol
Dec 07, 2017, 09:53 PM
I got mine the other day. The quality appears to be pretty good. You're gonna need a small receiver to get everything in to fit under the hatch. I ordered a Lemon. It will be awhile before I get her in the air.
Dec 09, 2017, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
Hi guys, no special sale price or coupon needed, $25 with free shipping at Weekender Warehouse anytime!

http://www.weekenderwarehouse.com/ehawkeye-p2go/

Hi will a Spektrum AR610 fit or will I need something smaller? Thanks
Dec 09, 2017, 07:40 PM
I put a 610e in mine and it does fit. Plan on removing a bit of foam to get everything in. If you have something smaller, all the better. Also, the front magnet is weak. I will probably tape the front down.

Mine is ready to fly, hopefully next week.
Dec 09, 2017, 07:51 PM
Thanks. Keep us updated

Quick Reply