Feb 07, 2014, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

1984 TOC "The Year of Biplanes" - 30 years later

I was recently doing some major cleaning in my shop (we had a major flood) and found a huge pile of ancient negatives. I am attaching images I took at the TOC in 1984, most of these have not been seen since they were taken. Hope they bring back some good memories for anyone viewing. I sure wish I was that skinny again.

Chris

I have some more I'll upload when I get them scanned.
Last edited by Whiplash46; Feb 08, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2014, 07:10 PM
hi very nice thanks for posting...anyone have pics of toc 88?
Feb 07, 2014, 07:22 PM
Thread OP
Most of my '88 pictures worth looking at have been posted here;

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...988+toc&page=3
Feb 17, 2014, 11:06 AM
Great photos and a fascinating story. I wonder what became of all those great airplanes.

Rick H.
Feb 19, 2014, 12:51 PM
Thread OP

What happend to those Airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308jockey
Great photos and a fascinating story. I wonder what became of all those great airplanes.

Rick H.
The Bonnema/Rojecki Falcon is part of the AMA Museum collection.

As for the Stearman, that's a bit of a story. Shortly after the TOC, Steve S. and a friend were flying it at a local field in Maryland. Something caused it to go into an uncontrolled spin into the ground. It pancaked near a public road where a passing motorist saw it, stopped and was stuffing it into the back of their vehicle when Steve and the friend ran up.... The damage from the crash was minimal, the damage from the stuffing was considerable. Sometime later a local modeler built a new set of wings and and repaired the fuselage. The airplane was recovered in mostly white with some red sunbursts. Steve gave it to me, and a kept it for many years, but it was very heavy after the rebuild so I eventually traded it to our local Hobby Shop for some new merch. If somebody tracks it down, let me know. I am currently working on a 2nd Stearman, hope to have it finished later in the Spring.
Feb 19, 2014, 01:17 PM
Great pics Chris! Can't wait to see more! A friend of mine just came across Dean Kogers Skybolt at a swap meet and bought it. Cool piece of Histroy!
Feb 19, 2014, 01:23 PM
I sold my pink and white Laser to a friend a few years after that TOC. He wanted to refinish it so my only condition was that he strip the covering off the top of the wings and give it to me as I had every competitor and official autograph the wing (you can see it in the pic). Unfortunatley the Monokote was too old by then and shattered into pieces when he tried to strip it.
He later refinished it in a yellow and neon pink Bud Lite scheme and entered it in the beauty contest in Toledo in the early 90's.
Feb 19, 2014, 04:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville
I sold my pink and white Laser to a friend a few years after that TOC. He wanted to refinish it so my only condition was that he strip the covering off the top of the wings and give it to me as I had every competitor and official autograph the wing (you can see it in the pic). Unfortunatley the Monokote was too old by then and shattered into pieces when he tried to strip it.
He later refinished it in a yellow and neon pink Bud Lite scheme and entered it in the beauty contest in Toledo in the early 90's.
I saw that as I was scanning the negs. That was a "KEEPER" as Art P. likes to say! Those Lasers look Soo Small now don't they? I like your new "Avatar"
Last edited by Whiplash46; Feb 21, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Mar 12, 2014, 08:07 PM
cool pics - curious how you went from negatives to digital pics.

I have a TON of negs and slides from my growing up years that my father had taken

appreciate your suggestions
Mar 14, 2014, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W
cool pics - curious how you went from negatives to digital pics.

I have a TON of negs and slides from my growing up years that my father had taken

appreciate your suggestions
One of these, works fantastic!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ion-audi...&skuId=1806207
Mar 16, 2014, 02:57 AM
I remember when it was first built and flown at the first TOC I went to as a spectator. When you brought it to GPa to trade we hung it up front and it was recovered in a dark red. A local modeler bought it from us but I can't remember who. I am sure it's gone now for good, so it's good your building a new one!
Nov 30, 2018, 02:13 AM
Great pics! What was the advantage of flying a Biplane back then?
Nov 30, 2018, 05:17 PM
Thread OP
Nearly everyone flew a Laser 200 at the '82 TOC. Mr. Bennett decided to give a 10% bonus for biplanes. If you do the math, there was no way a monoplane was going to win with that in place. Ivan Kristensen was 3rd with a Laser 200. Had the bonus been only 5% he might have won.
Dec 01, 2018, 12:48 PM
Thread OP
Example TOC25% park flyer file. Reed Falcon TOC Winner 1984

Quick Reply