Mar 14, 2004, 08:08 PM
Thread OP

2.5 oz Extended Wing BUG

I finished my "even ultralighter" BUG. With span extended to 35", the wing area is 200 sq.in. With a AUW of 72g (2.6oz), the wingloading is 1.8 oz/sg. ft.

We'll see how she flies when the wind dies down.

A point of interest is that in order to get her to balance with the single Kokam 145 cell, I had to put the Rx, batery and both GWS pico BB servos forward of the foremost bulkhead. That leaves the entire compartment under the wing empty (except of course for the pushrods). As this compartment is right under the CG it'll make a perfect ballast box should I wish to fly at the more usual wingloads of 3-4 oz/sq. ft.

For the time being, I'm going to have fun seeing what a tip-launchable, extremely nimble glider can do at under 2oz/sq/ft.

Should be lots of fun
to remove ads between posts
Mar 14, 2004, 08:11 PM
lets seeit!!!!!
Mar 14, 2004, 08:14 PM
Thread OP

tomorrow

Definitely will post photos. Camera's at the office.

Details here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/message/356
Last edited by Zhack; Mar 14, 2004 at 09:19 PM.
Mar 22, 2004, 12:38 PM
Thread OP

Photos

nose has epp block and goop/toluene coating. fuse forward of LE has 1mil 3M tartan crystal clear tape (form seeker kit) 3m 77'd on and heatshrunk (STRONG and LIGHT)
Mar 22, 2004, 12:39 PM
Thread OP

scale shot

Here's proof
Mar 22, 2004, 12:40 PM
Thread OP

gear

gear

Kokam 145 lipo in white shrink wrap, GWS pico Rx, pico BB servos
Mar 22, 2004, 01:03 PM
Thread OP

servos

gws picobb's
Mar 22, 2004, 01:04 PM
Thread OP

thumbpad

L spar extended to tip with 1/8 oval of balsa to support covering and thumbpressure to grip for GENTLE SAL's
Mar 22, 2004, 01:06 PM
Thread OP

ballast box?

compartment under wing is empty as servos were moved forward of bulkhead. It's right under the CG so ballast could be added here.
Mar 22, 2004, 01:07 PM
Thread OP

light tail

1/8 c.f. boom and v tail (3g)
Mar 22, 2004, 01:07 PM
Thread OP

My BUG with my BUG

Ain't they CUTE
Mar 22, 2004, 01:09 PM
Thread OP

OOOPS

Missed the money shot! Here it is.....
Mar 22, 2004, 01:46 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
Very nice!!

How high can you throw it?
Mar 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Zhack,

What kind of covering material did you use?

Scott
Mar 22, 2004, 04:03 PM
Thread OP

Clearfilm

www.modelairtech.com
Apr 02, 2004, 07:23 PM
I built the bug from RCM plans and it flys good, but now I have alot of new light weight radio stuff and want to build a light weight version. I have more 1/8 cf tube from the original to use on the light version. I bought the 1/8 the RCM plan recomended. Did you use the same 1/8 for your boom that was used for the originals spar? It does not seem there would be enough room for the pushrods.
Apr 02, 2004, 08:42 PM
Thread OP

It Works

It works well if you use 0.020 pushrods. I run my Rx antennae through there as well and it all fits. If you want more room, you can replace the antenna with lighter gauge wire.
Apr 03, 2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks,Zhack
I will use the 020 and smaller antenna or loaded antenna.

Rob
Apr 07, 2004, 09:57 PM
Im almost done with my bug lite and I need to do my weight and balence . I want to use a 145 or 170 single cell . How do the R4P and H-50's work at those voltages?
Apr 08, 2004, 01:10 AM
Thread OP
No Problemo. There are just a little slow.
Apr 11, 2004, 06:12 PM
De-Brushed user
Any chance you have plans for the extended wing version? Or was it TLAR? Very cool
Jonathan
Apr 11, 2004, 08:16 PM
The info you want on the extended wing bug is here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BugHLG/

Your question has been asked often and is in the message archive.
And yes that red glider on the couch in my avatar is an extended wing bug.
Apr 15, 2004, 02:31 AM
I just got my 170 li-polys and was able to get a first flight on my bug lite today. I got just one flight but it was 45 min! The thing thermals like a peice of tissue paper in a dust devil. I had a hard time getting it down!I was worried about the battery, but it was fine.I built it to Zhack's advice, except I used 6 lb c-grain for the fuse. It still came out at 2.5 oz. I had a hard time not using heavier wood on the tail , the 4.5 lb wood just seemed too flimsy, but I resisted and because the way the tail is designed it still came out strong enough. It way out flys my first bug. Thanks for the fuse mods Zhack.
Last edited by robert harik; Apr 15, 2004 at 09:55 AM.
Apr 15, 2004, 02:39 AM
Thread OP
Glad to hear of your success! I heard a lot of original BUG builders complaining of poor thermal performance but they were flying a small wing at at least 3.5 oz. It's a whole new world at a lighter weight. Mine will climb in a gentle breeze with no forward movement. It's pretty funny watching your plane rise on the spot as if it were being puuled up on a fishing line.

How are you launching? Javelin? SAL? How high are your launches?
Apr 15, 2004, 03:28 AM
Both side arm and javelin. It just depends on how low I can catch lift. I would guess my launches are no higher than 35 ft. Not that high, but I really get 35 ft without stalling. I have seen alot of people getting 50+ but they stall out and end up no higher than me and really stress their stuff! I have seen a few people with bugs where I fly and one thing all the bad flying ones had in commen other than being over weight were incidence problems. My first bug thermaled really good. My first bug was 3.3 oz.
Last edited by robert harik; Apr 15, 2004 at 03:32 AM.
Apr 15, 2004, 11:55 AM
Congratulations Robert.
45+ minutes from a 170 li-poly. The only thing that makes me nervous about the Li-poly is the idea that if you run it down too much, it no longer takes a full charge. The next time you fly, the endurance could be cut in half.

John
Apr 15, 2004, 03:27 PM
I was worried about the battery, but I checked it when I landed and it was still above 3 volts. It was $5.00 and toward the end of the flight I was thinking would I pay $5.00 for for this or maybe loose the bug and the answer was YES! I even had a second 170 with a fresh charge with me.
Apr 20, 2004, 04:36 PM
I really like my new bug and Im building another , but I wont cover the new one with Nelson Litefilm. The Litefilm worked great on a rubber conversion I did , but is way too easy to punture if your flying area has any small bushes or sticks. My best hand launch areas are rough feilds. I will use Ultracote lite instead. Its heavier but, it worked good on my first bug (no pucntures).
Apr 20, 2004, 05:05 PM
Thread OP
I was thinking of using Solite (Nelson Litefilm) on a Mini Lil Bird with an astro 010 for power. From what you say, maybe I better stick with UC Lite as well. Whaddya Think?

http://www.skybench.com
Apr 20, 2004, 08:25 PM
Its a nice looking e-powerd glider. Is it a small version of the bird of time? I have always used monocote for power planes.Last year I tried UL for small stuff and was very happy with the strength, liteness(even though I think its about twice the weight of NLF) and how easy it was to cover with, it stretches good. Made it easy to cover the bugs wing tips without wrinkles. NLF is great for small stuff where weight is really criticle, but it puntures too easily. My new bug wing looks like swiss cheese and has lots of patches allready. My old bug with UL has one patch after hundreds of flights.
Last edited by robert harik; Apr 20, 2004 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply