This thread is privately moderated by CorvetteC5, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 18, 2016, 08:59 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougruss373
Hi...I have been trolling the boards for a little while now. I know this is an older thread but i need to ask a few questions as i just recently acquired the duet and am interested in this mod.
1-Where do you get the push rods and control horns from?
2-How did you cut the rudder without cutting through the other side?
3-How did you hook the motors up to the brick?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Just discovered your questions. Feel free to PM me anytime if I do not respond quickly.

1. The rudder pushrod is the OEM one from the elevator. The elevator's new pushrod is made from 0.020 or 0.025" diameter music wire that I buy from my LHS. Easy to bend to shape to fit the servo and control horns. I try to include a loop for mechanical adjustments. The control horn added to the rudder was saved from a dead Ember 2 airplane.

2. I did it the easy way and fully cut-off the rudder with a sharp blade and straight edge guide. Then beveled the hinged edge and taped back into place.

3. The two motors are soldered in parallel. The two leads were then soldered to a harness that was saved from a dead HH motor. The harness plugs into the brick normally.

FWIW. Having the two motors in parallel produces an audible wine when flying at less then full throttle. Reminds me of a poorly match brushless motor and ESC, only much quieter. So far the noise isn't hurting anything. But I do understand now why HH uses one ESC per motor in their micro B-17, Mosquito, etc.

- Curt
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Feb 18, 2016 at 09:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2016, 09:11 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie52
CorvetteC5 I love the idea of the flaps! I think I'll try it on my duet !
When you can, share how the flaps work out for you. Last week I tamed severe wing rocking from my Sky Buggy 100, by Stevens Aeromodel, with flaps. Images on my blog/thread for it.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Feb 23, 2016 at 04:56 PM.
Jun 03, 2017, 04:02 PM
I Hate Orange Props
You attached spoilers to the wing to correct pitching up under power? Why not mix down-elevator with throttle?
Jan 18, 2018, 08:16 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroPlane6
You attached spoilers to the wing to correct pitching up under power? Why not mix down-elevator with throttle?
I have been disappointed in mixing as you describe. As I have the plane perform loops, climbs, and dives the airspeed changes more then the mix is adjusted for. At times wanting more elevator, and other times wanting less, of course. So I still find myself forced to concentrate. If I were to only fly in a kevel and more repetitive style then the mix maybe helpful.

Good thought though!
Apr 22, 2019, 07:27 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP

Flight Video!

I finally have a camera to captures flights with

Notice the pseudo biplane wings now, from the addition of Ember 2 airplane wingtips on top of the main wing. Still has the fixed flaps underneath. Very slow flight! From April 21, 2019.

Hobby Zone Duet Mini-Vapor hybrid airplane (4 min 12 sec)
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Apr 22, 2019 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply