This thread is privately moderated by CorvetteC5, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 05, 2014, 10:25 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Discussion

Hobby Zone Duet Mini-Vapor hybrid

I received the thoughtful gift of a Duet twin aircraft by Hobby Zone for my birthday fall of 2013. I have flown thrust-vector steered airplanes before from Airhogs and Silverlit and had a good idea how to steer it during our indoor flying season that is underway. With fully proportional steering, throttle, and elevator control this is a huge step upwards in control and precision flying from the other brands. The gyro on the roll-control, used to level the plane, wasn't hurting either! However, my Duet would not hold an aileron trim setting. It would start a flight flying straight with the TX trim centered for the aileron. Then, during the flights the plane would consistently drift more and more to the left until the TX trim was at full right and the plane would still continue to pull left some. I figured either this Duet had a drifting gyro on the electronics board (Brick), or the two flight motors were not tracking each other well as they warmed up.

So I called Horizon Hobby and they supported this purchase with a replacement Duet. And this second Duet is perfect! The aileron drift is nearly completely absent and the plane is a joy to fly left and to the right!

On the defective Duet I replaced the stock Brick (which is from the Scout Helicopter by Blade and is version 4 ) with one from a Mini-Vapor. Conveniently I had purchased 2 of the MV Bricks off E-bay one month before, so had them handy. Attached are images of the installation showing the rerouting of the stock elevator pushrod to the new rudder, the addition of a pushrod for the stock elevator now controlled on the other side of the fuselage, and of both flight motors wired in parallel and controlled as one by the ESC.

During the maiden flight of this Duet MV (Mini-Vapor) I learned that the plane does indeed have one flight motor weaker then the other. Until either motor dies, I am compensating with about 20 degrees of right rudder offset.

One annoying characteristic of both Duet airplanes is how floaty they are. They like to climb allot with throttle. Much more so then the Ember 2 , Mini-Vapor, and numerous Flyzone micro planes that I can compare them too. So I have added spoilers above the wing, as shown, to push the nose of the plane down while air born. They are placed within the propeller wash and very effective. After some trial and error, my Duet MV now pitches very little with throttle input and level flying.

Curt
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Feb 05, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2014, 11:52 AM
Cool idea! I would love to fly my Duet using my DX* series Tx's and I'm tired of the thrust vectoring steering - I bought the thing to let my kids learn on in our indoor sessions; however, the steering isn't "normal" at all and it has proved to be more tricky for them.

Anyway... thanks!
J
Feb 05, 2014, 04:54 PM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Yea, thrust vectoring has its own behavior and learning curve for sure. My favorite quirk is the total loss of steering if flown too long on one Lipo and the ESC shuts off the motors!
Feb 05, 2014, 05:00 PM
LOL... haven't had that happen (yet), but I have noticed that yaw control really varies based on the amount of throttle applied. To turn tight one has to momentarily increase throttle while applying directional inputs.

I have no trouble flying it, but my girls are just learning and ... well, lets just say the nose of the plane now sports some CA and tape ;-).

Cheers,
J
Feb 05, 2014, 11:56 PM
wow , looks like a fun so tiny.
Jun 09, 2014, 12:03 AM
Corvette, if you're still monitoring this thread, can you take some close up pics of your spoilers so I can see the approx angle? What did you use for spoiler material?
Thanks, Jim
Jun 07, 2015, 08:37 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal
Corvette, if you're still monitoring this thread, can you take some close up pics of your spoilers so I can see the approx angle? What did you use for spoiler material?
Thanks, Jim
Wow! Have I been unresponsive and out of touch! Sorry about that. Spoilers are cut from thin foam from food trays, that I obtained at a restaurant. Thinner the foam the better, IMO. From trial and error, the angle ended up being about 25-30 degrees relative to the wing surface. If these had been flaps then the angle would have been about 40 degrees relative to the wing surface. Steep, yes, and deflects the slow moving air with authority.

FWIW. I have been most successful slowing a plane's air speed and/or adding slow-speed flight stability with flaps than with spoilers and leading-edge slats. I have flaps on about 1/3 of my indoor fliers now.
Jun 07, 2015, 03:39 PM
Whoa Corvette! Thought maybe you were lost in the wind. Thanks for the info. Any pic(s)?
Jun 08, 2015, 05:38 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Darn it no, not yet anyway. I'm on vacation and didn't bring any planes with fixed flaps with me. Checking the camera and extra memory cards I find no fresh images either. Going to have to owe you a rain check.
Aug 17, 2015, 05:44 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
NorCal,
I just rediscovered this discussion of my Duet. Here are two images taken this morning of the flaps I installed this past February. Aids greatly in slow speed stability for small gymnasium control.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Aug 17, 2015 at 06:05 AM.
Aug 17, 2015, 05:51 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
From years of experimentation and testing, I have learned to REALLY like the use of flaps in some airplanes to tame tip-stalling and/or promote slower-speed flying. Attached are images of my Nine Eagles Cessna 182 (Sky Eagle) from Sept 2013. This airplane liked to tip-stall if not flown very fast and well above scale speeds. The heavier wing loading and flat bottom airfoil do this, of course. Now with flaps installed, it still will fly fast on its 2-cell brushless motor, but at least it's predictable and worry free when slowed down during looping, rolling, and landings.
Last edited by CorvetteC5; Aug 17, 2015 at 06:06 AM.
Aug 17, 2015, 06:00 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Even my Mini Vapor benefited from flaps! Really. The deeply undercambered wing likes to tuck under (abrupt outside loop) when flown too fast, and the addition of an Ember 2 motor made this occur at a rather low 40% throttle position. Back in April 2014, adding the flaps lifts the nose of the plane, of course, and now it can fly up to 80-85% throttle before it tucks under.

Why stop at only 80-85% throttle? I could enlarge the flaps even more and totally eliminate the tuck under, but haven't felt the need yet since the MV will cruise nicely at 40 to 50% throttle leaving enough throttle range to play with.
Aug 17, 2015, 06:04 AM
Way to much free time!
Thread OP
Other examples of micro aircraft that I have added small flaps too to aid slow-speed stability including a Flyzone Super Cub and Playmate, and a Stevens Aeromodel Micro Max.

Curt
Dec 25, 2015, 11:15 PM
Hi...I have been trolling the boards for a little while now. I know this is an older thread but i need to ask a few questions as i just recently acquired the duet and am interested in this mod.
1-Where do you get the push rods and control horns from?
2-How did you cut the rudder without cutting through the other side?
3-How did you hook the motors up to the brick?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 15, 2016, 07:19 AM

Duet

CorvetteC5 I love the idea of the flaps! I think I'll try it on my duet !

Quick Reply