Potential New Member - RC Groups
Feb 05, 2014, 12:33 AM
Discussion

Potential New Member

Hi,

My name is Peter and I recently moved to the east bay. I am interested in learning about thermal soaring. I would like to get involved in the LSF and TD competition. What days do you guys fly and what sort of plane would I need to get involved? I've got a radian now but I'd like to get something I could fly off a winch.

Cheers,
Peter
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2014, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftPeter
Hi,

My name is Peter and I recently moved to the east bay. I am interested in learning about thermal soaring. I would like to get involved in the LSF and TD competition. What days do you guys fly and what sort of plane would I need to get involved? I've got a radian now but I'd like to get something I could fly off a winch.

Cheers,
Peter
Hello Peter and welcome to SVSS!

We usually fly Friday and Saturday mornings, year round, weather permitting. Our contest season runs from March through November. TD contests are on the second Saturday of the month and Altitude Limited Electric Soaring (ALES) is on the third Saturday (check our calendar to be sure).

The Radian is a great plane with which to learn soaring and they are very competitive with much more expensive molded ships in good weather conditions (especially in expert hands) in ALES competitions.

Other folks in the club will chime in on how to get into winch launching and TD. I did it by building a nostalgia woody (rudder, elevator, spoiler) and flew for a year) before popping for a molded plane. When you are ready to move up one can often find good used planes locally or on RCGroups at a competitive price. Usually, they are already assembled with servos as well. Some of our club members build their own bagged fiberglass planes as well if that interests you.

Best advice: come on out and watch what we do, introduce yourself, talk to folks. and bring your Radian.
Feb 05, 2014, 10:24 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Hi Peter,

I'll add a few things to Jonathan's excellent reply. If you can share how much R/C flying experience you have I might be able to make a few suggestions on TD planes. I know of a few possibilities if you are looking for a molded plane.

Next thing is getting help with your flying or setting up of your planes if you need it. Just post here if you want and we can set a day at our field in Davis to help.

Finally, since you're in the East Bay you may not be aware there is a good club in your backyard: South Bay Soaring (website). We have SBSS members regularly coming to our field to fly but they also have regular contests and fun fly days at various fields throughout the Bay Area. They also have an active RC Groups forum like ours.

Between SBSS and SVSS that ought to keep you busy. Just hope you don't have a job to slow your flying down

Chris B.
Feb 05, 2014, 01:22 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'll come out this Friday if anyones out at the Davis field. I've been flying my radian at the berkeley marina with the "soarheads" guys.

Cheers,
Peter
Feb 06, 2014, 09:43 AM
Good for what ALES you
Along with our excellent winch-launched TD activities at SVSS, we also fly ALES (Altitude Limited Electric Soaring) using a limiter the cuts off your motor at 30 seconds or 200 meters. We have many pilots that fly in both TD and ALES and Radians have proven to be both fun and competitive in the electric events. The field at SVSS is excellent and we have regular pilots from all over the central valley, Sierra foothills, and the Bay Area who travel there to fly.
Feb 07, 2014, 12:26 AM
Am I correct in analysis of the weather report that none will be out at the field tomorrow or saturday?

Thanks,
Peter
Feb 07, 2014, 01:24 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Hi Peter,

Yeah it's not looking too dry for Saturday considering the NWS' 100% rain forecast. You don't see that too often but I have to say I'm pretty glad to see it. Folsom Lake up here is more like Folsom Puddle right now...

Chris
Feb 15, 2014, 12:41 PM
Howdy,

Stopped by the field this morning, beautiful facility.

Cheers,
Peter
Mar 30, 2014, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftPeter
Howdy,

Stopped by the field this morning, beautiful facility.

Cheers,
Peter
Hi Peter,

I believe we met at the ALES Event? I was the guy with the Winnebago and the Radian Pro. I just joined and am new to the hobby. (I bought a pro, that should tell you something... lol)