This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 04, 2014, 02:36 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Thread OP
Discussion

Maiden Flight today.

Well I finally had to do it. The weather here in Northern Michigan turned a bit nice. Mid 20's, nil wind, no snow falling, so I just had to fly.

I got the battery, plane, transmitter, hat, coat, gloves and off I went.

I walked out onto the lake, almost knee deep snow with about an inch of water under the snow, on top of the ice, which is about 10 inches thick. So this old fat man won't fall through. I didn't walk out much beyond waist deep water anyway, you know, Murphy's Law.

So I got ready, my bride of 40 years, yes I know, why one woman would live with me for 40 years is hard to believe. Susan shot the photos. She is very good.

So I tossed my Calypso into the air, some up trim and away I went. There were NO thermals today. So I got her maidened.

some photos to enjoy look at.

Thanks for looking.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Last edited by Conehead; Feb 09, 2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: added a photo or two.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2014, 12:39 AM
looks like a fun time, how cold was it ?
Feb 05, 2014, 12:46 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogz85
looks like a fun time, how cold was it ?
I believe it was about 22 degrees, no wind. One of the nicest days we have had lately. Monday and Tuesday this week were the best.

Today it is 16 with 8 mph wind, wind chill about 5 or 6 degrees. Snow flurries right now. 12:41 PM/

We have lots of snow on the ground.

Out where I was flying the snow is about 7-8 inches high,on top of about 1/4 of water on top of the about 10 inches of ice.

There is always water on top of the ice when we have snow cover.

The fishermen were out there trying to catch walleye, which seem to be in good supply this winter. My neighbor has caught a number of them. I don't fish.

I didn't use much battery. I put 435 Mah back into a 1300 Mah pack. I had the motor running almost the whole time, about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. I did climb up to about 400 feet and let it glide down. I still need to do more trim and add some mixing in, rudder to aileron yet.

Thanks for asking.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred.

I forgot to post the temps and wind. There was no wind or just a light puff of wind now and then.
Jun 26, 2014, 04:48 PM
Do you know when the Columbus indoor event is this year?
Jun 26, 2014, 04:49 PM
Drop me an email. Lavendertravel@Hotmail.com if you know when the Columbus indoor event is taking place.

Quick Reply