Navy Cat Twin Boom Jet - RC Groups
Feb 03, 2014, 07:29 PM
Mini-Review

Navy Cat Twin Boom Jet

After seeing some posts on the Nitro Planes Falcon 120 thread by "bir6672" and "sonic liner" mentioning the availability of an upgraded version of the Nitro Planes Falcon 120 and some photos by MCSGUY of his new Navy Cat, I decided to purchase one.

It is important to note that there are two versions of this plane offered by the importer, RC Jets World. One has the carbon fiber reinforcements in the booms and wings and the other one does not. The one with carbon fiber in it is about $100 more expensive that the non carbon fiber upgraded plane. Since I already have a Nitro Planes Falcon 120 flying as an EDF and I plan on flying this plane with a turbine, I ordered the carbon fiber upgraded version. I also decided to pay the extra money for the combo package which includes retracts, oleo struts, wheels, tires and brakes.

There is no assembly manual with the plane so I am going to do a bit of an assembly thread for the plane. I have communicated with the importer, RC Jets World, regarding questions and he has provided very timely responses and I have been quite satisfied with the replies. I have e-mailed him with a couple of things I think should be addressed and he has advised that he has communicated these "issues" to the manufacturer. It is important to note that the things I have "discussed" with him are not "show stoppers' but merely things that I would like to see in the model. For example, when we discussed the need for an assembly manual, he advised that there is one in the works by the manufacturer but since these models are in the early series of the production run, the manuals are not available yet. Given that the model is very similar to the Nitro Planes Falcon 120 (same dimensions) and to the Modelbeau Tornado, I am using these manuals as a guide for the assembly process. The process is fairly simple and things like servo mounting, installation of control horns etc. are easily done. However, I like to see how others have done some of their installations and this is where an assembly manual helps.

When I am building a model or assembling an ARF (like this one) I have certain ways I like to do things and this may differ from the way the manufacturer or importer suggests. I understand this and in my posts I will tell you how they recommend doing something and how I did it and my reason for doing it the way I did. If I have an correspondence with the importer regarding concerns/issues, I will share those with you and the importers responses.

Here is a link to the upgraded model with carbon fiber:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=962903

Here is a link to the standard version WITHOUT the carbon fiber upgrade:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=962062

Ed
Last edited by A10pilot; Feb 04, 2014 at 07:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2014, 08:05 PM
I ordered the plane from RC Jet World on Tuesday morning and received it on Friday afternoon. Very quick shipping and I got a couple of e-mails from the company advising of the status of the shipping. The plane arrived in a double boxed cardboard container. The inner box contained the model and it was in a heavy duty outer container for protection. In between the inner and outer boxes was a light weight piece of plywood to protect the inner box from damage.

The interior box containing the model was well packed and all pieces were taped to the container to prevent movement in shipping. The only damage to the contents was the retract air tank and a few dents in it where the tank came in contact with one of the retracts. Damage is not bad and the tank is serviceable. I have sent photos to RC Jet World and they have advised the manufacturer of the damage and requested changes to the packaging. Other than the dent to the tank, no other damage was noted.

Along with the airframe you get all of the pushrods for the control surfaces, standard gage servo extensions (4 ea. 13"/330 mm long and 4 ea. 7.5"/185 mm long pieces), hardware bag with all of the bolts and washers for mounting the booms, tail and wings. The model comes with two carbon fiber wing tubes instead of the aluminum used in the Falcon 120. Nice touch and it saves a little weight. Also in the box was the nose wheel steering cables, and the wood package (for servo mounting, ply pieces for the component mounting in the interior of the fuse) and of course the retracts. The retracts items were in a separate box taped to the bottom of the box. The retract box contained the two main and nose retract units with functional oleo struts, wheels, tires and brakes assembled as a ready to use unit. It also contained the pneumatic lines, connecting "T's", retract and brake valves.

Even though I am going to mount a turbine in the plane I had thought of covering everything up to the install of the turbine here in this forum and then leave the install of the EDF stuff up to someone else. One thing I would like to ask is if you guys want this assembly thread here or would you like me to move it to the turbine section?

Ed
Feb 03, 2014, 08:12 PM
deltas are cool
this should be cool ,there are a few of these out there now. i just want to let the guys know the parts i make forthe Falcon 120 will fit this plane too .pm me if you need a EDF Nacelle,mount brackets or fuse stiffeners.
Leave it here or move it too the Falcon Thread ....but it seems to be a lot better kit than the flacon ,the hardwear up grades and extras the kit as makes this a great buy for the money. i say leave it hear ,and Joe or someone will post pics of the EDf conversion.there also a nother thread on a red and white one.
Feb 03, 2014, 08:38 PM
More photos of the plane and components parts. I forgot to mention that this plane comes with wheel well inserts, a pilot and for those going to install a turbine, an 84 ounce tank that fits into the aft section of the fuse.

Of note on the retracts is that they have a couple of nice features not normally seen on a set of retracts in this price range. the fit and finish is very good. The wheels have a small nipple on them and appear to be inflatable. I have not checked this yet but will. Also, it is nice to see that the wheels all have sealed ball bearings on them.

Ed
Feb 03, 2014, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
this should be cool ,there are a few of these out there now. i just want to let the guys know the parts i make forthe Falcon 120 will fit this plane too .pm me if you need a EDF Nacelle,mount brackets or fuse stiffeners.
Leave it here or move it too the Falcon Thread ....but it seems to be a lot better kit than the flacon ,the hardwear up grades and extras the kit as makes this a great buy for the money. i say leave it hear ,and Joe or someone will post pics of the EDf conversion.there also a nother thread on a red and white one.
Rodger:
Thanks for the suggestion of leaving it here. I appreciate it. In my third post you will see a photo of the aluminum motor mount. As I noted in the caption of the photo, The aluminum mount WILL NOT fit a 120mm fan so your stuff would work very well here.

Ed
Feb 03, 2014, 08:50 PM
How is the glass work on your fuse?
Feb 03, 2014, 08:51 PM

More Photos

We have only had a few days of sunlight sufficient to take good photos so the other day I took about 85 photos of the plane before I started to assemble things so the first group of posts will provide a photo documentation of the plane. I have finished hinging all of the control surfaces and am half way thru installing the servos so I will post those photos in the next few days. In the mean time I will post some photos of the "interior" of the plane to show the level of construction.

Ed
Feb 03, 2014, 08:59 PM
Ed

The glass work on yours looks good. I ordered one of the very first ones and the glass work was terrible.

Looking forward to watch you build
Feb 03, 2014, 09:14 PM
Here are some photos of the interior of some of the parts of the model.

Ed
Feb 03, 2014, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit
Ed

The glass work on yours looks good. I ordered one of the very first ones and the glass work was terrible.

Looking forward to watch you build
I agree. After seeing some of the photos of the early models, the glass work and craftsmanship in general are very good.

The model comes with the plastic hinges with pins (like the Durbro hinges). In the photos of the elevator and the rudder you will notice that the holes for the control horns go completely thru the control surface. This is not a big deal but I have communicated the concern to the vendor. Also, in the photo of the rudder hinge holes in the boom, you will notice that the holes are rather long and longer than they need to be. I have also provided info and photos of this holes to the importer, RC Jet World. In both instances, RC Jet World has acknowledged the problem and has said they have contacted the manufacturer to ask for changes.

Ok, I am out of photos so I will go back and take some of the progress on hinging and mounting servos to the hatches.

Ed
Feb 03, 2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.

Thank you for your time and efforts Ed.

Congratulations !

Pete
Feb 03, 2014, 10:49 PM
deltas are cool
Ed great pics ...the glass work looks really good to me .it's obvious that they have made big strids in trying to make a better bird to withstand a Turbine ...or high powered EDF
Feb 04, 2014, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
Ed great pics ...the glass work looks really good to me .it's obvious that they have made big strids in trying to make a better bird to withstand a Turbine ...or high powered EDF
Rodger, I would agree. Obviously I do not communicate with the manufacturer and can only make suggestions to the importer, it seems obvious that the manufacturer has listened to their importers.

I got some more work done last night so here are some photos. As I mentioned yesterday, I think we all have a process we like to follow or certain things we do when we build/assemble our planes and I am certainly no different. When assembling an ARF like this I like to do ALL of the control surface hinging first, then I install all of the servos, etc.

Attached are some photos with captions for some of the hinging I did. One of the things I have done for years is to use a little Vaseline or some light oil applied to the hinge point to protect the hinge while the epoxy dries.

Ed
Feb 04, 2014, 06:47 AM

Servo Mounting Details

Here are some info and details on my method for mounting my servos.

Here are some more progress photos but some of the photos should have a bit of an explanation. I am very particular when it comes to how I mount my servos to hatches and what materials I use. The model comes with servo mounting blocks and they appear to be suitable but I chose to make my own so here is how I do mine. I select a suitable piece of hard balsa and to that I glue a piece of 1/8" lite ply. The lite ply will serve as the anchor for the servo mounting screws. I cut all of the blocks to the size I think I will need, then glue the ply to all of the blocks. Once this is done I then start to tailor each block for the particular control surface. When installing the mini servos in the boom for the elevator and rudder, clearances are very tight so it is imperative that the mounting blocks be no taller than necessary. The depth of the cavity for the elevator servo is very tight and the servo and blocks can be no deeper than about 22mm so I trim the blocks to the height of the elevator servo.

Just a note on the servos. For the rudder servos I used the Spektrum A 5030 since they are an appropriate torque and will fit in the boom. For the elevator I used the Hitec HS 5245.

One thing I forgot to mention is the recommended servo torques for the plane. As I mentioned previously, there is no manual so I have used the recommended torques from the Tornado manual. The recommended torques are:

Rudder and elevator: 4 mini servos of 65 inch ounces or greater
Flaps and Ailerons: 4 servos of 120 inch ounces or greater.
Nose wheel steering servo: recommended is 120 inch ounce but I am going to use one of about 50 ounce.
Retract and brake servo can be a mini of about 20 inch ounces.

Ed
Feb 04, 2014, 07:18 PM
Continued the assembly. I have now gotten all of the servo mounts and hatches finished. The servos are mounted and tonight I will install the control horns. These control horns are heavy duty and are made of carbon fiber sheet. One thing I neglected to mention is that once I get all of the servo mounting blocks glued to the hatches, I then apply thin CA to the lite ply and the balsa wood to strengthen the assembly.

Another thing that I have been doing is to prepare the booms for the mounting of the horizontal stab. The booms and stab on this plane are just like the Falcon 120 (the later editions with the two bolts per side) in that the horizontal stab is held to the boom with two socket head cap screw bolts on either side. One of the things to note on these planes (as well as the Nitro Planes Falcon 120) is that when you tighten the bolts that hold the stab to the boom, you are tightening the bolt against the outer surface of the boom which is balsa. The booms have a ply inner skeleton but the bolts will compress the balsa when tightened. When I assembled my Falcon 120 EDF I was concerned about the compression of the balsa allowing the bolts to loosen up over time so I installed a 1/16" thick ply piece on the outside of the boom to distribute the load (see photo). In looking at other threads and the Tornado manual, they suggest that the stab be glued to the booms and use the bolts to hold the pieces in place while the glue dries. I did not really want to glue the booms and the stab together so I looked for a different way to secure the pieces. I decided to use the bolt system but in an attempt to keep from compressing the balsa I took a piece of brass tube, sharpened the tip and cut the covering and balsa away on the outside of the booms so that when I tighten the bolts, I am tightening against the plywood inner structure. The other thing I do is to apply some thin CA to the inside of the booms where the stabs will be inserted.

Please see the attached photos.

More updates tomorrow.

Ed