This thread is privately moderated by Red.Sneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 03, 2014, 03:43 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Thread OP
Build Log

2.4 Tx Wind Streamer ground school

Isn’t it always fun to land with the wind, Not! Wind can be constantly changing, especially at ground level on arrivals. How we miss those metal extension antennas we could hang something to know the direction of the ground wind on takeoff & arrivals. No more, the new radios have very short antennas. Here is a simple solution, a Tx Wind Streamer for the new 2.4 radios. Easy to build, easy to field install, breakdown & store in your Tx case.

click on picture to view larger
Name: Internal Design.jpg
Views: 302
Size: 113.7 KB
Description: Internal Design Name: Completed Painted Design.jpg
Views: 294
Size: 73.6 KB
Description: Completed Painted Design Name: Installed on Tx.jpg
Views: 296
Size: 82.9 KB
Description: Installed on Tx

Here is the list:
[...] Ply or hard wood
[...] Clear 3M SJ4580 Low Profile dual lock or Velcro
[...] Plastic Tubes (2)
[...] Dowel or Bamboo Skewers (2)
[...] Fishing Swivel
[...] Streamer of choice
[...] CA, Epoxy or other glue of choice
[...] Paint color of choice
[...] Sharpie Permanent marker (Red)
[...] Highlighter (Yellow)

I shall call him "Spartan Spear"
Name: Spartan Spear.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 30.7 KB
Description: Spartan Spear
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Dec 18, 2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2014, 06:28 AM
great idea
Feb 05, 2014, 09:05 AM
Damn Red. Your really got it together.

I didn't even realize that I was missing the 3 foot antenna until you posted that. I always looked at the streamer on my 72 mgh radios to get wind direction in the old days. even though the club had a wind sock. Now I'm flying at home and need wind direction. I've been throwing some grass up and watching which way it goes. That will be to days project.

I've been tell the wife that I need a wind sock on the fence to give me wind direction. She will be happy cause I don't think she was up for the wind sock.

Jack
Feb 05, 2014, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350
I've been tell the wife that I need a wind sock on the fence to give me wind direction. She will be happy cause I don't think she was up for the wind sock.

Don't worry, get your Spartan Spear ready. I will not fly without one. In a week or so, Iíll post your solution for the fence, the Warrior Flag ~ Portable Field Wind Streamer. I leave one out all winter to tell me when I can fly my ultra-micro planes & helos outdoors. Use it to set the direction of the snow blower. My wife does not mind it as it blends into the background. I take it to the local park to help me see wind direction and maybe a thermal passing by.
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Apr 06, 2014 at 11:21 AM. Reason: update
Feb 06, 2014, 09:13 AM
I don't have a snow blower anymore. Now I have a sand blower but the principle should be the same!

jack
Nov 28, 2014, 10:11 AM
Very NICE wind flag!!! Help me not run all over town looking for parts in all the wrong places.
Where did you find the plastic tubes? Length and diameter?
I assume the wooden dowels can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes but want to make sure they work with the plastic tubes diameter size.
Streamers at a craft store?
Thanks for your help and reply...
Again....NICE!!!!!
Nov 28, 2014, 12:04 PM
Thread OP
Ah, yes, running around town. What you see was the final version of 5 iterations. The first part to source are the wooden dowels so you can make sure they fit snug in the plastic tube. A little loose, just rub some water on it to expand, a little tight, dry it up or sand lightly. Source the wooden dowels from a LHS (local hobby shop) or craft store like Michaels or AC Moore. The plastic tubes are Evergreen Scale Models StripStyrene, size 7/32"; .218";5.5mm dia. Source can be LHS or Amazon.

The streamers are rip-stop nylon from a kite tail from the hobby shop. The owner brings me a few every Spring. The best form of attaching is the 3m product. I can only find it in large quantities now a days, originally sourced from eBay. At one time Radio Shack had a very similar product.

The dowel of the second piece is cut a little shorter so you can easily place it on the base dowel and it pushes the dowel out about an inch, just makes it easier to take out. The tip of the second dowel has a small piece of tubing to prevent the dowel from splitting from use or drilling the hole for the connector.

That is basically the story, I am sending you a PM that I would check before ordering anything.
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Nov 28, 2014 at 01:24 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply