Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 03, 2014, 03:15 PM
Ken Stuhr
Discussion

Chilliwack 2014

Hey, what's the deal with the annual event? Is it on or off? If yes, same weekend? Where this time? I haven't seen anything about it yet............
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2014, 02:06 PM

Chilliwack Sring Electric Fly-In

Thanks Ken for lauching the thread. Low tech Ivan here is not capable of starting such a thing, but has been watching for someone to take the plunge and break the ice. Talking about ice, our POND has had an unusual amount of use this winter with a steep increase in the number of locals taking an interest in float flying. But with this week's dep freeze, the pond is frozen over and more suitable for skis. All will be well by May, and yes, Al Gross was here last weekend and was suitably impressed to see that the three fat trees at one end of the runway have been removed. I was impressed by how much Al had learned of this development by checking the club web page at http://www.fvrcf.com/ Go to the video page, open page 6 and drop down to the last video which was taken on New Year's day. Take a ride in the quadcopter and view the remains of the 3 trees still smouldering. The club page of course mentions all the things the local club is doing this year to put out the welcome mat. Hal is off in Mexico now and plans to be back when the sailing season opens. He promises to be in port for May 23-26, so that's when it will happen.
Last edited by ivanp2; Feb 04, 2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Wrong word
Feb 04, 2014, 02:42 PM
Here's the video Ivan was talking about so you can see it right here. It does a good job of showing the field.

Fraser Valley RC Flyers New Years Day (3 min 30 sec)
Feb 04, 2014, 02:50 PM
Ken Stuhr
Field looks much improved, and the parking closer!! Hope that area keeps growing to hold more cars like might show for a bigger event.

Ken
Feb 04, 2014, 04:17 PM
Good to hear the event is a go! I am not sure that I can make it this year. It looks doubtful.
Feb 04, 2014, 05:58 PM
Team Tracon!
Hi Guys,

Beverly and I hope to be there, just need to confirm my time off request..

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Sam & Beverly
Feb 04, 2014, 07:33 PM

Chilliwack 2014

The FVRC site is looking good. Visited Ivan a little over a week ago on a bright sunny day and went to the FVRC club field. It is much improved from last year. The 3 large trees are gone, the runway is nice and smooth and the parking lot is filled in. Additionally, I am told that there are 10 attractive dry camping sites to the north of the runway on the property and next to the river.
Feb 05, 2014, 04:45 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
I'll be there this year, got the ticket, hire car, time off and looking forward to it all,

Mike
Feb 05, 2014, 12:40 PM
Ken Stuhr
Guys-

Is that tall skinny tree just North of the smoking debris in Luke's video still standing? I see the vid was 1/1/14. If yes, are there plans to cut?

Ken
Feb 05, 2014, 02:59 PM
Nice vid, great looking flying site, I love the line up of Strykers.

Ivan, I can see why a Southland boy would feel at home in Chilli.
Feb 05, 2014, 09:29 PM
Team Tracon!
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing are they going to take out the big tall one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyken
Guys-

Is that tall skinny tree just North of the smoking debris in Luke's video still standing? I see the vid was 1/1/14. If yes, are there plans to cut?

Ken
Feb 06, 2014, 03:47 AM
I don't know anything about the flying site personally, but here is an overhead photo from the FVRCF page taken on the same day as the video. The tall tree is clearly visible in the lower left. The website says it is 350 feet away from the field.

From the overhead, it doesn't appear this tall tree is quite in the line of approach or takeoff, relative to the direction of the airstrip. Of course in practice if may feel different... but from the picture it doesn't look to be any worse a menace than the Tall Tree at Ron's old place.

Feb 06, 2014, 05:43 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeZ
I don't know anything about the flying site personally, but here is an overhead photo from the FVRCF page taken on the same day as the video. The tall tree is clearly visible in the lower left. The website says it is 350 feet away from the field.

From the overhead, it doesn't appear this tall tree is quite in the line of approach or takeoff, relative to the direction of the airstrip. Of course in practice if may feel different... but from the picture it doesn't look to be any worse a menace than the Tall Tree at Ron's old place.

I still dream about that tree occasionally
Feb 06, 2014, 11:36 AM
Ken Stuhr
Hmmmm... my problem is my precision approach starts 360 feet out
Feb 06, 2014, 03:42 PM
low and slow
As a member of the "Ivan's plane in a tree club", I can confirm that the tree is perfectly placed on downwind..

Arvid

Quick Reply