This thread is privately moderated by Red.Sneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 01, 2014, 07:38 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Thread OP
Build Log

1s Volt Meter ground school

As good pilots, we would never take to the skies without knowing how much fuel we have in the tank

click on picture to view larger
New Model using JST connector

Name: New Model JST a.jpg
Views: 189
Size: 162.1 KB
Description: Name: New Model JST b.jpg
Views: 216
Size: 181.5 KB
Description:
Older Model using Servo connector
Name: 1S Volt Meter.jpg
Views: 378
Size: 111.7 KB
Description: Internal Design Name: Connector.jpg
Views: 298
Size: 51.1 KB
Description: Completed Design Name: Handle.jpg
Views: 278
Size: 112.3 KB
Description: Easy to handle
Original Prototype made in Germany
Name: 1S Volt Meter a.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 154.1 KB
Description: Name: 1S volt meter b.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 156.8 KB
Description:

A friend from Germany sent me a neat volt meter that can measure 1s batteries. Small & compact. Very nice. So we thought, how do we get it to read the small 1s batteries. It took only a few min to make (after acquiring the tools & parts). I use it all the time. Made one for the battery bag and one for the Tx case. Here is the list:

[...] PKZ3052 Battery Connector / Wire (you can use the wire that works for your 1 cell battery. This is for the likes of the Champ, mCX2 helo, Scout helo, mCX Tandem Rescue helo)

[...] Servo connector (find a friend that has the tools)

[...] Two color shrink to make it easier to find if dropped. 1/4 inch full length Black shrink with 1/4 inch Yellow over. Makes it nice & stiff. Easy to handle.

[...] 1s volt meter (the one I was sent was a Pollin #830 492 (Voltmeter für LiPo/LiIon/LiFe-Akkus AVM-1/6S) also look at eBay under 1S-6S RC Lipo Battery Voltage) or click here for an eBay link

I shall call him "Spartan c41s"
Name: Spartan c41s.jpg
Views: 396
Size: 28.9 KB
Description: Spartan c41s
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jan 25, 2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2014, 09:53 PM
Hey, watch this!
Two Great Ideas ! Thanks I will do them both.
Feb 07, 2014, 10:07 PM
Hey, watch this!
Oops
Feb 07, 2014, 11:09 PM
Thread OP

Glad you also enjoyed the 2.4 Radio Tx Wind Streamer - click here

If you start squeezing the ultra-micro connector to release the battery, that’s 3 ideas.
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; May 17, 2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: update
May 17, 2014, 04:05 PM
Ever sense I saw red sneakers 1S voltage meter I wanted to make one. I followed reds advice and went to EBay looking for a
'1s volt meter (the one I was sent was a Pollin #830 492 (Voltmeter für LiPo/LiIon/LiFe-Akkus AVM-1/6S) also look at eBay under 1S-6S RC Lipo Battery Voltage)'.

That's almost correct. I ordered one from EBay and the auction said 1S to 6S voltage meter. I ordered it. also ordered the battery connector & servo connector. Soldered them together and waited for the mailman to bring the meter. When it got here it didn't work? I checked my soldering with a volt OHM meter. all was good. checked the battery - it was good? Turns out not all the meters do one cell. I contacted the EBay seller and he said 'OOps'. It's a 2S through 6S. Does not do 1S. He went out to his auctions and corrected the description. He also offered a refund which I didn't do. So be careful. I found another EBay seller. asked if it for sure did one cell. He assured me it would. I ordered it. when it arrived and checked some batteries and sure enough - it works.

So the meter on the right does not do one cell. The meter on the left will do one cell.
May 17, 2014, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdog350
I followed reds advice and went to EBay looking for a '1s volt meter (the one I was sent was a Pollin #830 492 (Voltmeter für LiPo/LiIon/LiFe-Akkus AVM-1/6S) also look at eBay under 1S-6S RC Lipo Battery Voltage)'.

That's almost correct ... it didn't work? I checked my soldering with a volt OHM meter. all was good. checked the battery - it was good? Turns out not all the meters do one cell..
Glad you worked it out. I went back to check if I had miss-typed anything on the Pollin 830-492. Did not find any, picture below. So I am confused that the 'long' voltage meter you were sent has the 'Pollin #830 492 (Voltmeter für LiPo/LiIon/LiFe-Akkus AVM-1/6S' marking. Being it came from Germany, I would not expect any technical errors. If you get a chance, take a pic of the label that identifies it as such. Thanks.

P.S. I checked eBay under "Pollin 830 492" and various variations and got no hits. even more since this branding does not appear to be sold on eBay.

P.S.S. When I go to eBay and type in " 1S-6S RC Lipo Battery Voltage ", I get 20 hits and all are the correct 1s volt meter. So again with the comment "That's almost correct."
Last edited by Red.Sneakers; May 17, 2014 at 08:07 PM.
Jul 19, 2014, 09:16 PM

Do voltage testers give total voltage or just by cell ?

Hi All

Just about to order a '1S-6S RC Lipo Battery Voltage' meter and I was wondering does it also function as normal voltmeter (presumably across the outer pins) to give total voltage ?

I was wondering whether to order extra as I have another use in mind.

Mark D
Jul 19, 2014, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdawson
Hi All

Just about to order a '1S-6S RC Lipo Battery Voltage' meter and I was wondering does it also function as normal voltmeter (presumably across the outer pins) to give total voltage ?

I was wondering whether to order extra as I have another use in mind.

Mark D
This is a normal voltage meter. It has 7 pins & therefore can handle up to a 6 cell battery. A word on Lipo, not all lipos have the same distance between the pins, so this will work with typical lipo balancing plugs. As an example, it will not fit Thunder Power. If more than 1 cell, it will read off the total & each cell.

For the price, order 1 or 2 to see if it works for your need.

Hope this helps.
Jul 20, 2014, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
For the price, order 1 or 2 to see if it works for your need.
Thanks Red, that's where I was going but thought I'd ask in case I was missing the bleeding obvious.

Mark D
Jul 20, 2014, 05:55 AM
Thread OP
An additional word, they sell some just like the small voltage meter but with sound alarms.
Dec 11, 2014, 10:49 AM
Hi all! Red sent me a few links and I have been busy checking them out!
I had already ordered a 1s volt meter but realise i must not have read enough as its pretty much all I ordrered.. I assumed i could directly get a reading from the battery.

I understand I need to purchase a connector cable to the battery ( PKZ3052 Battery Connector for example ) . I have checked this out on the internet but it seems to be missing the little red connecter that plugs into the volt meter.. What part is this called? Is that everything needed to get the volt meter working? Thanks!
Dec 11, 2014, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
The "red" connector is a servo connector or a JST connector. Having the tools, parts & knowledge is the critical path. You either need them or need a friend with them.

zewill I sent you a PM.
Mar 17, 2015, 06:04 AM
Blue Skies

JST connector confusion

I believe most of the JST balance connectors we use in the hobby are JST-XH with 2.5mm spacing between pins. Post 14 in the thread linked below says the common red JST (BEC) connector has the same spacing as the JST-XH connector, as do most JR/Spektrum/Futaba servo connectors. jj604 does a great job of helping clear up connectors with his thread on it.
Link to jj604's thread "JST" connector confusion - the real story here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1493712

Don
Apr 03, 2015, 09:41 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
I just want to thank you guys for this thread. I was looking for this info to be able to build a way to check my 1S's just 2 days ago, and could not find this .... thankfully it was linked to in another thread I was reading. Will be building one .... or more as soon as I can get the parts. Now to find a seller for the female JST plug, I have some males here!
Apr 03, 2015, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
Glad you found it. If you ever get the batts with smaller / closer "thunder power" balance connectors, you can get the "CSRC0017 Losi & Thunderpower Battery Adapter for the Balancer Pro". Nitrohouse has them.

Quick Reply