Dream-Flight Libelle DLG - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jan 31, 2014, 11:17 PM
Slope-a-Dope
At first I thought it was French....for little beauty...but I guess my Dutch isn't so good either. Didn't know an Alula was a thumbwing til I looked it up.

Here's looking at you, Libelle. Guess that explains the wing pattern on le box.

Looking forward to seeing some dragonflies this summer!

Steve

Who is less smart than good looking but that's not saying much either.
Last edited by Steve 0; Feb 01, 2014 at 12:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2014, 12:07 AM
From my experience, the only time I had a problem with a DF kit was when I made mods not listed in the instructions. Totally my fault...and it shows that Michael knows much more about designing planes than 99% of the flyers out there.

When I built them stock they have all flown well and I've been completely happy. My original epp weasel is my go to plane and has more airtime than anything else in my fleet.

I'm looking forward to getting a Libelle and building it stock.

Cheers,

Steve
Feb 01, 2014, 04:40 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Those of you who have a Facebook account should add Dream-Flight if you haven't. It has a lot of these answers. The plane is due to be for sale late February. And I have already been out in the pre-order list! Oh yeah! Cannot wait! Email info@dream-flight.com and request to be added to pre-order. Sells for $120

I was in the market to buy a DLG, but did not want to spend $400-600 to get one. This is so perfect! And way better.
Feb 01, 2014, 08:03 AM
I'm kind of surprised that some of you completely misinterpreted my posts. Maybe reading them a second time after this post will make a difference. I hope so.

I've never posted anything negative about Michael or George or any of the Dreamflight products. Fact is I've praised both them and their airplanes endlessly and promoted them at every chance. Since Steve Lange first posted video of Michael's prototype, designed as an ultrabat, I've been anxiously awaiting this release.

When the Weasel was first released as a hand cut kit flyers immediately started making modifications, some good, most no big deal, some absolute failures. Same thing with the Alula. Same thing when he released 2nd generation versions and changed foam type. Throughout the course of their existance both had huge success because they were so well engineered and manufactured and flew so well and a huge number of very talented builders came up with all sorts of ideas that modified the original designs to make them work better for their own specific needs. Then they shared those ideas here and elsewhere and I'm certain Michael was cool with that.

There was, is and will be another very small group of people whom have and will continue to post whining hostile negative things about any plane on the planet. "My Alula won't fly......it's a piece of !" "The nose on my Weasel broke off when I flew it into the side of a Semi on the highway. The designer is an idiot!"

The fact is a very large percentage of slope flyers like to tinker. Most of the mods are relatively harmless, some are horrible and a few actually make things better. From close inspection of the photos in the pdf I made some guesses such as how the hinges are done, aileron taper etc. Michael made a very smart decision in deciding to produce this design focused as an affordable DLG with every aspect of the aircraft aimed at maximizing DLG performance. There is a much larger market for DLG than slope models and he already has a very dedicated DLG clientele with the Alula as a portable pocket flyer. His decisions on airfoil, control surface size etc. are all geared to maximize what the plane is meant to do, DLG at a much more affordable price, easier build etc. than what is currently out there. I think he has succeeded in a very big way.

That being said if any of you don't think flyers are going to immediately start trying to modify the design "to make it better", for better or worse, you're fooling yourselves. It's never happened before and it won't happen now nor would Michael want it to. He's a very talented innovator whom spent a lot of time and money coming up with a great design that could be manufactured in a cost effective way that resulted in a very affordable model. As to "$25 is cheap for a servo"......I've seen a whole lot of guys who put time and energy into a build then ask "Why can't I use these 3 dollar servos from HobbyQueen?" and whine when the servos fail. The Alula was designed to work with inexpensive Bluebird servos because they were adequate for the job. I put Hitecs into mine. There are going to be a lot of guys that won't be able to or willing to shell out $100 for servos. They'll install something cheaper and "results may vary". No surprises there, eh?

Tim; You know how much if think of your fabulous Gizmo, your talent and dedication and willingness to share with the community. I thought that by now you'd also figured out that I often "speak" tongue-in-cheek, as I was doing in my earlier posts.

I still stand by my statements that this is going to be a very long and enjoyable thread filled with the usual excitement, laughter, shared thoughts and innovations, flight stories etc etc including the occassional post from a whinging bugger whom blames Michael when he puts a 2,000 Mah Nicad up front and the plane won't balance out.

Best to all from the flat assphalt swamp that is Florida;

Ken
Feb 01, 2014, 01:49 PM
I'll take one
Joe
Feb 01, 2014, 02:00 PM
Price?
Feb 01, 2014, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebox
Price?
$120 US........sweet deal for such a complete and well done kit.......plus I betcha' lam film is not needed for the standard DLG build so faster to flight and less material expenses.

Ken
Feb 01, 2014, 02:59 PM
Old Prop Buster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Looks great - should be brilliant in slermal conditions. I'm sure Dawson and co will have a madstab on this very quickly!

http://www.dream-flight.com/files_download/Libelle.pdf
MattyB:
Maybe post this in the DLG forum? Too bad it looks like Dream-Flight is getting out of the slope plane business. Maybe their interests are changing as time goes on? The Alula has been discontinued according to their website leaving them with no planes till this DLG comes out. Their kits and planes are well thought out and I would bet this new DLG is no exception. Good luck!!!
Gary.
Feb 01, 2014, 03:51 PM
Gary, I don't see any indication that Dreamflight is "getting out of the slope plane business". They've said that both the Alula and Weasel will be back, "New and Improved", and I believe them.

This new bird will be an excellent crossover machine, light wind sloper/mini DLG. I personally wasn't expecting a DLG since the last we saw Michael was working on a small light pod & boom Ultrabat. Seems to me he may have thoughts about getting Libelle up and running and eventually come out with a sister version with a different airfoil and full flying tailfeathers. The guy oozes creative juice from every pore but he also spends a ton of time on development and only starts to market when he feels the product is ready.

I'm also pretty certain he doesn't get offended when somebody tries to modify one of his designs. He knows it's a human trait and I suspect he enjoys watching what we other monkeys get up to, both successes and failures.

Ken
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2092505

PS: Nothing but positives on the HLG board thus far.
Last edited by Snewk; Feb 01, 2014 at 03:57 PM.
Feb 01, 2014, 05:32 PM
I hope the next generation Wevo/Weasel is along soon, mine has been pounded from so many flying hours. It still flies well, but has a life expectancy the way we have fun with them. Its one of two go to gliders I have.

The new one looks cool, whether its flat field or slope.

Jim
Feb 01, 2014, 05:40 PM
Old Prop Buster
Thanks Ken, I looked for it over in the hand launch but must of missed it. I hope you are right about not getting out of the slope business. We have been hearing about a retooled Weasel for a long time now and if he has moved on so be it. Peoples interest can change and so can the business environment. The Weasel and Alula were both terrific planes and big hits and I hope the company sticks around and stays in the slope plane business.
Gary
Feb 01, 2014, 07:49 PM
I think that Michael is right on track with his new design. It looks well thought out, I can't wait to try one!
Feb 02, 2014, 10:46 AM
"Will Slope For Food"
Looks pretty fun. I am in.
Feb 02, 2014, 12:25 PM
Me too!
Feb 02, 2014, 01:03 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewk
Gary, I don't see any indication that Dreamflight is "getting out of the slope plane business". They've said that both the Alula and Weasel will be back, "New and Improved", and I believe them.

This new bird will be an excellent crossover machine, light wind sloper/mini DLG. I personally wasn't expecting a DLG since the last we saw Michael was working on a small light pod & boom Ultrabat.

Seems to me he may have thoughts about getting Libelle up and running and eventually come out with a sister version with a different airfoil and full flying tailfeathers.
Agreed - it's a smart move to start with a DLG, as there is probably an order of magnitude more people who'll buy one compared to an ultrabat version (I understand the injection moulds for these type of models can be very expensive). Besides, those wanting an ultrabat can always scratch up a symmetrical wing to make it an awesome dual purpose machine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snewk
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2092505

PS: Nothing but positives on the HLG board thus far.
Yep - one of them also noticed it has quite a wide chord, so despite being only 42" span it has a similar wing area (and therefore loading) to a composite 60" DLG. This is a really smart move; the difference between a 10 and 12 oz DLG is huge (especialy for beginners, which I most definitely am when it comes to twirl and hurl) on both launch and once thermalling. I suspect Michael has done this quite deliberately based on what happened with the Alula Evo, which was great off the slope but lost out to the Mk1 on the flat with a wing load ~25% higher.

It will lose out slightly to higher a/r ships on the launch and return from downwind, but that's more than acceptable trade off for preserving the float, climb performance and low price point . I suspect big launchers will ditch the foam vertical for a rudderless bagged version, but other than that i can't see anything that needs changing. Superb!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehachapi Jim
I hope the next generation Wevo/Weasel is along soon, mine has been pounded from so many flying hours. It still flies well, but has a life expectancy the way we have fun with them. Its one of two go to gliders I have.
That's the one disadvantage of the moulded Evo variants - they do tend to look dirt and look tatty quickly. My Mk1 Weasel is on it's second set of tape after >10 years, and will get some lamfilm next time round; still flies as good as new though!
Last edited by MattyB; Feb 07, 2014 at 05:11 AM.

Quick Reply