Aug 28, 2009, 10:33 AM
All great advice!. Actually I think LIPO makers should be obliged to include with each and every battery sold, an "owner's maual" of HOW to take care of Lipos and what to look or watch for. That way, we would not have to worry as much. Information dissipates fear. All information should be kept brief, concise and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonhouzen
Hell i freak charging nicd's its just the way i am but lipos if you play it safe and do it by the book then you wont have a problem but i have noticed that people are getting a little slack around them i treat them with kid gloves
to remove ads between posts
Aug 28, 2009, 11:35 AM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemario
Good and Safe advice!!. I'll do just that! Thanks!

Any ideas for a metal container?. Whar are you using?
For charging and in-house storage I use a tabletop BBQ with a locking lid. Haven't seen many of these around. It is round with a handle that fits over the top and holds it on tight. It's probably 18" round and inside I have a heavy ceramic dinner plate for the lipo's to sit on.

For transportation, I use a metal cash box I got at a thrift shop. I drilled a 1/4" hole in each corner of the lid for pressure release just in case.

The smoke would be a problem no matter what but I hope that secondary fires are not a problem with this setup.
Aug 28, 2009, 09:43 PM
MY GOD, sounds like the bomb squad!!! ;-)

Jokes apart, I think you're absolutely right, the BBQ and the cash box sound like THE right items!!. Thanks for the suggestions! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
For charging and in-house storage I use a tabletop BBQ with a locking lid. Haven't seen many of these around. It is round with a handle that fits over the top and holds it on tight. It's probably 18" round and inside I have a heavy ceramic dinner plate for the lipo's to sit on.

For transportation, I use a metal cash box I got at a thrift shop. I drilled a 1/4" hole in each corner of the lid for pressure release just in case.

The smoke would be a problem no matter what but I hope that secondary fires are not a problem with this setup.
Aug 29, 2009, 12:31 AM
Finish 1 B4 Starting Another
Well i just got a lipo sack from hobby city but i was charging and storing them in ammunition box's .And yes there is a sticker on the back for correct charge procedure but not for storage but a little more info wouldn't go astray .
Sep 01, 2009, 06:51 PM

Where to get LiPo tap (balancer) connectors

Does anyone know where to get spare tap (balancer) connectors?

I am running 11.1v 3 cell 2100maH batteries. Each manufacturer seems to have their favorite connector.

Not looking for adapters, looking for the actual connectors.

Thanks
Sep 01, 2009, 08:50 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
You can get TP connectors with wires here:
http://www.rctoys.com/Merchant2/merc...rtBy=price-asc

You can buy the HC style extensions here and just cut off the end you don't need:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...3&v=&sortlist=

Also some here:
https://www.tanicpacks.com/index.php...9fdd3aaf85861e

Pat MacKenzie
Sep 01, 2009, 09:20 PM
Pat

Excellent! Thank you very much for the links.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:04 PM
clint kevin
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Sep 04, 2009, 07:55 AM
Great info good post!
Old Sep 04, 2009, 08:58 PM
tsnany115
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam).
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:43 PM
prp123
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:36 AM
riane09
Sep 19, 2009, 05:35 AM
Gavin
I am sure this has been asked before, but is it OK to charge a Lipo just after it has been discharged, when it is still warm? For example, I fly my heli, drive back home and put the battery on charge after ten minutes or so. It is still warm to the touch.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
Sep 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
Is there any sort of General view on how batteries perform?
I am only new and am looking to set up with some more gear. I ended up with a cheap 3s 1200mah Lipo out of an ebay Hydrofoam. It powers around my little foamy with more than enough power and for about 18-20 minutes. But it is extremely heavy I feel.
What should I be looking for in a replacement? a 1200mah 2s? Or a smaller mah 3s?
What gives the weight as a rule, number of cells, or mah capacity?
What is power? eg volts or mah? What is flight time? volts or mah?

I know there will not be an easy anwer, but I really am enjoying the electric side of the sport (I'm an ex gasser.) But I really do not want to go and study for a degree to get a decent flying model.
I would ultimately like to buy a few batteries and motors and esc's all common to each other and build my planes around this size.
Thanks is advance!
Sep 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall
I am sure this has been asked before, but is it OK to charge a Lipo just after it has been discharged, when it is still warm? For example, I fly my heli, drive back home and put the battery on charge after ten minutes or so. It is still warm to the touch.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin
Why do you charge it as soon as you get home?
Do you fully charge it at that time?

Warm <100F is OK.
If you are not going to be using the pack for days, I'd recommend only charging it halfway or between 3.85-4V/cell. That will extend the cycle life of the pack. When you are ready to fly again, charge it up the rest of the way.

Quick Reply