Mar 08, 2007, 12:59 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
The Triton with a balancer should work just fine as long as it matches up to the balancing tap of your lipo packs.

According to the Tower hobbies site:

INCLUDES: Great Planes ElectriFly Equinox LiPo Balancer with 2S and 3S battery
adapters for ElectriFly, Venom, and ESky LiPos which are wired for
balancing

If you have lipos of these brands, it should work fine.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2007, 09:39 PM
My LHS is selling Li-Poly batteries from a company called ESquare Tech. The battery model number is E-Tech 11.1V 1250HP. It is supposedly rated at 20C. So obviously it is a 11.1 volt 1250 mah battery. My problem is that I have never heard of this brand and can't find out any information about them. I would appreciate it if somebody could tell me if this battery is any good or not. Thank you.

Wayne
Mar 10, 2007, 07:16 AM
Make 'n Break!!
I've used the e-tech 700 10c 7.4v and they work great
Mar 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
Roosevelt,

Thank you for the feedback.
Mar 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
hello everyone,
i am new to lipo stuff. i recently got me a 3 cell lipo and a charger from the the lhs, they informed me that it's safe. i chareged it successfully using their recommendation on the charger and follwing the instructions on the manual from the pack. the charger uses the car battery. after reading through the forum, i'm still lost. i have another charger from WATTAGE, it's a 3 in one charger i got from hobbytron. question is where do i put the led on? i know it goes onto the lipo/li-ion one but after reading the the instructions i'm still weary if i should use it. the charger can be used utiling a 12 v source or ac outlet. can i use the ac option to charge lipo or use the 12v one or it does not matter as long as i oversee the progress?
thank you.
Mar 25, 2007, 09:12 PM
Test Pilot, Stand Clear
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkn951
hello everyone,
i am new to lipo stuff. i recently got me a 3 cell lipo and a charger from the the lhs, they informed me that it's safe. i chareged it successfully using their recommendation on the charger and follwing the instructions on the manual from the pack. the charger uses the car battery. after reading through the forum, i'm still lost. i have another charger from WATTAGE, it's a 3 in one charger i got from hobbytron. question is where do i put the led on? i know it goes onto the lipo/li-ion one but after reading the the instructions i'm still weary if i should use it. the charger can be used utiling a 12 v source or ac outlet. can i use the ac option to charge lipo or use the 12v one or it does not matter as long as i oversee the progress?
thank you.
I'm not sure I understand the question, "where do I put the led on"? I'd say since I just read a lot of this thread and since you're not sure about charging a lipo, you better find out what to do from someone that knows. Like maybe the guy that sold you the charger.

Man I'm glad I found this thread.
Mar 26, 2007, 03:11 AM

LIPO charger as part of ARF kit

I have an Extra Fun XL that comes with a 3 cell LIPO battery. It also comes with a simple charger that has clips that connect to a car battery.

I would prefer a charger that uses normal mains power so i can keep an eye on it. Anyone have any suggestions for a simple charger?
Mar 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
would it be better to charge the lipo using the 12vdc on a car battery?
or would using the ac option on an ac/dc charger?
Mar 27, 2007, 10:08 AM
Free Falling
I've read through most of this thread.. but I have a few questions, as i am about to plunge into lipo land:

I'm looking to get either/both the easystar or twinstar planes.. probably doing the easy star conversion to lipo.. then using a 3s2100mah 15C 11.1 volt battery with the plane.

What is the best charger/balancer combo model that I could use with this battery pack.. What are most people using .. is anyone charging them in their house, while in the house (IE: Would I just get one of those AC/DC adapters and plug the field charger/balancer into that.. or are there wall units that could be bought.. I'm assuming even if attended in the house I should get some firesafe device to charge them in?)

Would I just buy a vented firesafe box and charge in the house.. and also use this same box at the field.. My idea was that I'd charge up 2 packs the night before then fly the next day..

When transporting in the car, should I be using another firesafe device to bring them home (and then store them there in the house/garage)?

Thanks for any info.
Apr 01, 2007, 01:31 PM
I was hoping to find the answer here, but did not find the specific answer to my question.

I have a Hyperion EOS 5i it increments only by 50 mAh for charging rate.

What do I do if the battery is rated at 1570 mAh?

Can I set the charge rate to 1600 mAh? Will this harm it?

BetterFly ~v~
Apr 01, 2007, 02:38 PM
Space Coast USA
1550, 1600 either one, it won't make any difference. I use about 80% of the battery capacity. In this case that would be 1300ma. Just my preference.
Apr 11, 2007, 06:28 AM
BetterFly,
Although the exact mAH charging rate is really not that critical, charging at 1C is probably not the way to go if you would like your batteries to last.
A common practice, and I believe recommended, is to charge at 1/2 C or in your case about 800 mAH
Apr 11, 2007, 07:16 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Cham,

I am not aware of any common practice of restricting lipo charge rates to 1/2 C. 1C has been common practice for as long as I can recall.

There are chargers now that claim 1.4-3C charge rates are possible without damage to the packs.

P2-Betterfly,

1C is certainly safe. Less than that is fine to, but over that only if your charger says it can do it and you feel comfortable.

Always charge in a fire resistat container/area and never leave them unattended.
Apr 11, 2007, 08:01 AM
opps
Last edited by cham; Apr 11, 2007 at 08:21 AM.
Apr 11, 2007, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr

I am not aware of any common practice of restricting lipo charge rates to 1/2 C. 1C has been common practice for as long as I can recall.

There are chargers now that claim 1.4-3C charge rates are possible without damage to the packs.
aeajr,
Isn't the batteries ability to receive a specific charge rate dependant on it's chemistry, not the chargers ability to provide a charge rate - generally ?
The nicer chargers with temperature monitoring accessories do make the higher charging rates feasible, but it I believe there are more RCrs not using those accessories. Very few of the people I fly with charge at 1C +
I use the Triton, and when I charge at 1C or more - the battery gets warm.
Any heat would seem to be detrimental.