Jul 11, 2014, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
Yea, 1000mah is probably about right, the 1200 feels slightly nose heavy.

I'm shocked at the spunk of this little thing, it will do rolls going straight up.
And large rolling loops till you're down to about the last 25% of the pack <G>
Latest blog entry: blog
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2014, 02:56 PM
O'L Weak Knees

Slow?

Would like to know how much the Kunai can be slowed down. Don't need a warmliner just something to get thru the winds (10-25mph) which in the past have been calm. Also is it something that will thermal to an extent or is it something that has to have power on all the time? Have had some boomers here lately even though the wind. Don't need to have something that stays up for hours.
Thanks
WF
Jul 11, 2014, 03:09 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
It definitely thermals, 1000 or 1100 pack that brings the cg towards the aft of the range and it will thermal nicely and it slows down to land with or without spoilerons.
Jul 11, 2014, 03:49 PM
O'L Weak Knees

Thanks

Thanks barracudahockey for the reply. Just what I wanted to know.
Off to Tower.....there goes the bank account again

WF
Jul 11, 2014, 03:52 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Sounds like 1300's are too big.
I have a bunch of 800s I hope that will keep her nice and for thermal-ing.
Jul 11, 2014, 04:03 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
They aren't too big, they put the CG towards the front of the range. It carries energy better through aerobatics that way but its a tad nose heavy that way for just thermaling.

I still caught lift and it bounced on lift in some areas very low to the ground so it doesn't take much for it to react with lift.

Its all about customizing the way you want to fly it.
Jul 11, 2014, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
Not a bad deal at all and Futaba servos installed so I purchased the PnF version for just $164.96 delivered when I applied the free shipping and the $22 July savings coupon. Finally, Tower 'gets it' and is competing head-to-head with the Chinese on-line sites. Good for you Tower! And I am a member of their discount club, so the starting price was $189.99 before the discount and free shipping.

Total Current Charges: $164.96 PayPal

P.s. great price, but this is why LHS that stock Great Planes products never make any money selling Great Planes products. Great Planes undercuts the mom and pop shops all the time. There is no way in hell, my Local Hobby Shop (LHS) could have sold me this plane at that price and still paid their rent, utilities, staff, insurance, and themselves ... and you wonder why we are losing LHS's across America.

Oh well who cares, I got a great plane at a fantastic price and that is [ALL] that matters!
Jul 11, 2014, 04:29 PM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatic Addict
How does this compare to the ST Models Blaze that tower sells. I got one a few weeks ago and have this on order as well. I know the Blaze is bigger, uses a 3s 1800 -2200, is foam and has a V-tail. Other than that how does this compare in vertical power, speed with prop folded , agility and aerobatic ability? ...
As soon as they fulfill my preorder, I'll let you know. *sigh* I'll be putting 1300mah in mine, which sounds like the right size for folks who like a bit of agility and speed. I'm not big on thermals, but love the agile glider category.

I've been flying a Dynamic-S for almost a year now... close cousin to the Blaze... with 2650mah. This battery is, similarly, on the heavy side for throttle-bending purposes.

I think I have a 10x8 prop on the D-S right now, zippier than it's stock 12x6.5. I'll be comparing to the stock Kunai prop at first, but will experiment with that later.
Jul 11, 2014, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabe
...Oh well who cares, I got a great plane at a fantastic price and that is [ALL] that matters!
It's a sad state of affairs with the truths you speak.

Your $25 saved is the LHS's $190 loss.
Plus I bet you didn't pay sales tax which is a further $6-$9 saved.
And then when you tack on transportation to and from the LHS, that's gas in the tank not used.
I really like my LHS. They sell all the major brands but I rarely see anything on sale.
Too bad it's 25 miles away.
Which is 2 gallon of gas in my Sonata or about $7.60 in gas.
I usually factor that in when I make a purchase I know my LHS has in stock.

Yes. The internet really does save you a ton of money.
Jul 11, 2014, 04:33 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan
As soon as they fulfill my preorder, I'll let you know. *sigh* I'll be putting 1300mah in mine, which sounds like the right size for folks who like a bit of agility and speed. I'm not big on thermals, but love the agile glider category.

I've been flying a Dynamic-S for almost a year now... close cousin to the Blaze... with 2650mah. This battery is, similarly, on the heavy side for throttle-bending purposes.

I think I have a 10x8 prop on the D-S right now, zippier than it's stock 12x6.5. I'll be comparing to the stock Kunai prop at first, but will experiment with that later.
Oldeman,

I fly in Surprise AZ ... we will have to get together and compare planes. You a CASL member?
Jul 11, 2014, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo
It's a sad state of affairs with the truths you speak.

Your $25 saved is the LHS's $190 loss.
Plus I bet you didn't pay sales tax which is a further $6-$9 saved.
And then when you tack on transportation to and from the LHS, that's gas in the tank not used.
I really like my LHS. They sell all the major brands but I rarely see anything on sale.
Too bad it's 25 miles away.
Which is 2 gallon of gas in my Sonata or about $7.60 in gas.
I usually factor that in when I make a purchase I know my LHS has in stock.

Yes. The internet really does save you a ton of money.
This is deviating a bit away from the central theme of this thread and this is the Kunai warmliner.

I will add that I do support my LHS when I can! Here in Arizona (Phoenix area) there is Lee Piester's Hobby Shops, Hobby Bench. Bobbie (Bob Piester of Hobbico, is Lee's son).

Lee founded Hobby Bench after selling his model rocket company, Centuri Engineering to Damon Scientific back in the early 70's.

Lee is a great guy and he treats his employees with respect and they in turn treat the customer with respect. I try to buy big ticket items from them like radios and 150 - 200 A ESC, but their mid-range stuff is really high. I primarily go there for simple things, like Japanese tissue, dopes, thinners, sanding sealer, stuff that shipping costs wouldn't justify.

And trust me, I used to own a LHS. Customers would pull up in their cars, with their tower catalogs in hand and then tell me that I was over charging and they could get the same item direct from tower ... I closed shop and became a consumer just like you once again...

OK, back to the Kunai
Jul 11, 2014, 05:21 PM
Yes, back to the Kunai.
It'll be here next week!
Yay!
Jul 11, 2014, 05:21 PM
Faster is Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabe
Oldeman,
I fly in Surprise AZ ... we will have to get together and compare planes. You a CASL member?
Nope -- not a CASL member I'm afraid -- I'm not really into "soaring". (I think "zooming" would describe my flying preferences better. )

Let me know if you'll be flying out near Gilbert anytime soon. I suspect the Kunai is going to be an interesting hybrid between soaring and zooming -- looking forward to it.
Jul 11, 2014, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeMan
As soon as they fulfill my preorder, I'll let you know. *sigh* I'll be putting 1300mah in mine, which sounds like the right size for folks who like a bit of agility and speed..
Maybe I will let you know. Mine is hopefully on its way soon. I only have 10 flights in the Blaze but it seems popular since it has a big thread. I think the quality of the Kunai will be better though. Not that i should complain for the price both are great deals. I flew the Blaze in 23 mph wind today. Hopefully the Kunai can do the same.
Jul 11, 2014, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Hopefully better....
Yes the Blaze has its issues but for under $100 shipped I cant' complain. I only have 10 flights on it. That's 10 more more flights than I got on my HobbyKing funfighter reno racer for under $100.

I think the Kunai will be much better quality and I'm happy to pay double for a plane that does not need a ton of trim. The Kunai looks really cool as well. It caught my eye the first time I saw a video of it.

Quick Reply