Jul 10, 2014, 03:23 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I guess I can fess up that I have one then

I should have some flight shots tomorrow, its storming pretty good right now.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2014, 03:39 PM
Any video of the flight would be great.
Jul 10, 2014, 03:49 PM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I can probably shoot some video, I need to get the article done and turned in first though.
Jul 10, 2014, 08:51 PM
I just ordered mine today! I saw it about a week or two ago, and it was still in pre-order status, but it looks they started sending them out - I for one, can't wait. Now all I have to do is buy some batteries! One thing I couldn't tell from the pics, and wondered if anyone can fill me in, but is there any dihedral build into the wing?
Jul 10, 2014, 09:44 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
Subbed.
Ordered the ARF today. Should be here next week.
Happy Happy
Joy Joy
Jul 10, 2014, 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash
....but is there any dihedral build into the wing?
After viewing the promo vid, it definitely looks like there's a couple of degrees of dihedral as is most evident in the inverted flying.
Jul 10, 2014, 11:01 PM
Sea2Sky2See

Receiver Options for Tactic, Hitec, and Spektrum?

As a versatile "warmliner" this might be an exciting, eventual next step for me -- have a UMX Radian currently -- and as a long-time r/c sailor, who's still a novice r/c flyer, I have some basic questions about rx options for the Kunai RXR version.

One general question I have is whether the RXR servos require micro-servro connections on the RX side, and if so, whether it's just a matter of getting an adapter to connect to a rx with standard connections, and whether there's sufficient room fo such adapters?

Have Tactic TTX650 and Spektrum DX6 and DX6i, eventually considering a Hitec Aurora 9x (in part due to Tactic SLT compatibility). So, noting the front-connect (avoid top-connect) advice , and looking at the dimensions of the recommended Futaba FASST and FHSS receivers, it seems that the options for my TX650, DX6/6i, and Aurora 9x might include the following:

Tactic (TTX650/Aurora 9X via SLT) -- just one rx option?...

TR424 (SLT) --small, light, front connections, micro servo connectors (if needed?)
... perhaps the only Tactic option if the 624 won't fit...
... but 4 channel = y adapter = no spoilerons?
... as a receiver designed for micro planes/park flyers does it have appropriate range?
http://manuals.hobbico.com/tac/tacl0424-manual.pdf

Hitec (Aurora 9X via AFHSS) -- 2 rx options, any others?...

Hitec Minima 6L (AFHSS) -- front connections, standard servo connectors.
... Connector type compatibility with RXR micro servos
http://hitecrcd.com/products/aircraf...ima-6l/product

FrSky Delta 8 -- as a multi-protocol unit somewhat unconventional, support for Hitec AFHSS (and Futaba S-FHSS/FHSS)...
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ompatible.html

Spektrum (DX6/6i) -- one option close but too long, other options?...

AR6260 -- designed for CF fuse, front connections, standard servo connectors.
… but may be too long (1.9" vs. 1.69 for the recommended Futaba S-FHSS)?
… is CF fuse feature relevant to fiberglass pod/CF boom?
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMAR6260

AR636 -- 'Sport Receiver' with AS3X, front connections, smartphone programmable, standard servo connectors
… is AS3X potentially of value for Kunai?
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR636

OrangeRx R400, R615, R615X, R620 -- also appear to be several HK OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX compatible receivers, with front connections, standard servo connectors, that are the right size.

Futaba Recommended RX Dimensions
For reference, the dimensions of recommended (on the TH Kunai web page) Futaba rx's:
Futuba FASST R6106HFC -- 1.53"x0.85"x0.48" 7.1g
Futaba S-FHSS R2008SB -- 1.69"x0.98"x0.55" 9.5g

Curious as to what folks think of the options -- which of the above are most appropriate / any of them ruled out, and whether there are additional, size-appropriate (with front connections) rx alternatives for Tactic, Hitec and Spektrum?
Last edited by Dparture; Jul 10, 2014 at 11:30 PM.
Jul 11, 2014, 05:34 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash
I just ordered mine today! I saw it about a week or two ago, and it was still in pre-order status, but it looks they started sending them out - I for one, can't wait. Now all I have to do is buy some batteries! One thing I couldn't tell from the pics, and wondered if anyone can fill me in, but is there any dihedral build into the wing?
A bit yes.

Standard servo connections
Jul 11, 2014, 08:13 AM
Just a little dihedral. When I want to soar around up high in thermal mode (flip a switch to change elevator trim for slower flight) I can just steer it around with the left stick and there's just enough dihedral for the rudder to give a touch of roll control to do that but not so much as to screw up the higher speed "fun mode" <G>.
As a side note, i'm just using some cheapie 20C 3S/1000mah packs. You can fit slightly larger packs but I really don't see the need. With the current the motor draws it's about 3~3.5 minutes motor run time and since it has so much power I use it in little bursts and 8~10 minute flights are the norm, with several times that if gliding a bit.
Latest blog entry: blog
Jul 11, 2014, 08:47 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Yea, 1000mah is probably about right, the 1200 feels slightly nose heavy.

I'm shocked at the spunk of this little thing, it will do rolls going straight up.
Jul 11, 2014, 09:35 AM
1000mah 3s sounds perfect. That is what alot of people use on 14-16 oz EPP foamies.
Jul 11, 2014, 09:41 AM
How does this compare to the ST Models Blaze that tower sells. I got one a few weeks ago and have this on order as well. I know the Blaze is bigger, uses a 3s 1800 -2200, is foam and has a V-tail. Other than that how does this compare in vertical power, speed with prop folded , agility and aerobatic ability? This one looks like it can be flown in a smaller area as well vs the Blaze using up more area.
Jul 11, 2014, 09:56 AM
I have a whole mess of 1300s and 800s.
How do you think they will fare?
Jul 11, 2014, 10:13 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Sorry I haven't flown a blaze to compare. With the CG forward (1200 Electri-Fly Lipo) it does aerobatics extremely well. It will thermal but not like a real light glider, but i suspect thats the CG. It moves along pretty good under power but pitch x RPM is your limit with the motor on, it definitely goes faster in a dive with the prop folded.

It has a great whistle, and full straight down dives dont seem to phase it.

The thing that impressed me the most is the climb with what i thought might be a small motor.

Anyways, read about it in the next Fly RC
Jul 11, 2014, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatic Addict
How does this compare to the ST Models Blaze that tower sells. I got one a few weeks ago and have this on order as well. I know the Blaze is bigger, uses a 3s 1800 -2200, is foam and has a V-tail. Other than that how does this compare in vertical power, speed with prop folded , agility and aerobatic ability? This one looks like it can be flown in a smaller area as well vs the Blaze using up more area.
Hopefully better....

Quick Reply