HobbyKing/Turnigy Micro-X Quadcopter (100mm/DSM2/FTDI/Multi-Wii) - RC Groups
Jan 29, 2014, 10:46 PM
Discussion

HobbyKing/Turnigy Micro-X Quadcopter (100mm/DSM2/FTDI/Multi-Wii)

HobbyKing Daily - Multi Wii Mini Quad (4 min 37 sec)

NOTE : THE HK VIDEO SHOWS INCORRECT WIRE INSTALLATION FOR ROTATION, FOLLOW THE NOTES AND PICTURES BELOW FOR PROPER INSTALLATION.

Update 10/25/2014
HK HAS BEEN SELLING 'BAD BATCHES' OF THIS SPECIFIC QUAD LATELY.
TO IDENTIFY, THEY COME WITH YELLOW PROPS INSTEAD OF ORANGE.
ON THE DEFECTIVE MODELS, WHEN YOU PLUG THE BATTERY IN THE MOTORS WILL AUTOMATICALLY RUN, THIS INDICATES DEFECTIVE FETS. THIS PROBLEM CAN INTRODUCE OTHER RELATED ISSUES AND SHOULD BE EITHER RETURNED TO HK AND OR REPAIRED FOLLOWING TUTORIALS FOUND IN THE THREAD.

Built in multiwii, brushed motors and DSM2 compatible. Looks similar to the pocket quad format. Should be available soon. The short demo shows pretty good stability.

** Edit 03/05/14 **
Thanks to Goebish and T1sugar we can confirm the wiring for the correct rotation on the motors follows the traditional colors of most micros :
Red and Blue wiring identifies the CW rotation necessary for front left and right rear motors.
Black and white wiring identifies CCW rotation necessary for front right and rear left motors.

This does not follow the HK wiring convention shown in the product pictures and or video. Note that it will fly wired as such yet the motors will likely fail sooner as the brushes inside the individual motors are made for a specific rotation.

If you have wired following HK's convention, don't change as this will likely accelerate failure on your motors and simply fly it as is and replace when then time comes, have fun!

For those of you that experienced possible boot loader issues, Goebish has provided an updated firmware specific for this microquad which can be located in this thread. Updates for firmware and loading instructions will be added to this post shortly and as updated build information becomes available.

Thanks!

Edit *** 03/09/14** Muliwii 2.3 custom code from Goebish - See Goebish's blog for files.

Multiwii 2.3 for HobbyKing Micro H quad (Turnigy Micro-X) Posted by goebish | Mar 02, 2014 @ 05:32 AM | 1,276 Views
This is Multiwii 2.3 tweaked for the Hobbyking Micro X.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=50460

- 32 KHz PWM output for brushed motors.
- Head Free and Heading Hold without compass
- Removed #ONLYARMWHENFLAT
- Removed useless gyro averaging

Instruction:
Download Arduino IDE 1.0.5:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

- Extract it somewhere on your computer
- Extract my zip archive, keep the folders structure, that's important.
- Plug your board (USB->ftdi->board)
- Open Arduino.exe
- go to tools / board then select Arduino Duemilanove with ATmega 328
- go to tools / serial port and select COM3 (or whatever your ftdi COM port is)
- go to file / open , browse to the firmware folder then open MultiWii_2_3_miniX.ino
- go to file / upload

Please use the included GUI.
Files from Goebish:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=302980

Discussion thread: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2090915

Edit ****
Thanks to Disaster999 this shows the correct convention with positive / negative wiring for the motors.

Edit : 08/13/2014 please refer to the following video for flashing the controller:
Best how to.. Turnigy Micro-X Quadcopter (23 min 43 sec)
Last edited by Waterbound; Oct 26, 2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Update thread
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2014, 06:36 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Hopefully its cheap as Chips
Jan 30, 2014, 09:21 AM
Team Warpsquad!!!
Definately going to be getting one of these
Jan 30, 2014, 09:23 AM
The New DaVinci
It worries me that the circuit board is also the body, how will it protect itself when it crash's?
Jan 30, 2014, 09:27 AM
I Void Warranties
Subscribed.
Jan 30, 2014, 09:34 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
+1
If a Hubsan X4 with Tx can sell for ~$35 shipped, then this NQARTF should only be ~$25-30. The similar HK Pocket Ultra Micro Quad aka PUMQ is a great micro multicopter performer only because of the efforts of the Gents and Coders in that thread. It is over 2x the price it should be at the HK price of $52 plus shipping.
(NQARTF=Not Quite Almost Ready To Fly)...
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29
Hopefully its cheap as Chips
Jan 30, 2014, 09:40 AM
Hi M,
Not a big worry. I've flown several of the similar V1 PUMQ for almost a year now with some really nasty "hard-landings" with no damage to the board or arms. I use open cell foam to protect the top of the flight controller. There do appear to be more skinny pcb places to break on this micro H frame, but that could also contribute to shock absorbing flexibility for crash survivability. The jury is still out
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo76
It worries me that the circuit board is also the body, how will it protect itself when it crash's?
Last edited by jesolins; Jan 30, 2014 at 09:47 AM.
Jan 30, 2014, 10:22 AM
Team Warpsquad!!!
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1391098944706.jpg
Views: 1032
Size: 48.5 KB
Description:
Jan 30, 2014, 10:24 AM
I Void Warranties
Grrr too much blur, we want an HD scan of this board

I still have to break an arm on one of my 2 HK PUMQ (v1.1), and I fly them almost on a daily basis with lots of indoor crashes.
... but a few gents managed to do it.
Jan 30, 2014, 10:39 AM
I Void Warranties
Is it me or are they running their motors in the wrong direction ?

On the picture it looks like front left / back right motors are CCW motors, (black & white wires) but they are using CW props.

Or maybe the wires are not the same colors we're used to see for those 7mm motors ?
Jan 30, 2014, 11:04 AM
Good eyes g
"If" the motors follow the standard we have seen with the 0720 Hubsan/Walkera and Chaoli motors, then the CCW should be Black/White wires and the CW should be Blue/Red wires.

If HK used standard motors and wired them that way, they won't be lasting very long...but they will sell more replacement motors...
Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish

On the picture it looks like front left / back right motors are CCW motors, (black & white wires) but they are using CW props.

Or maybe the wires are not the same colors we're used to see for those 7mm motors ?
Jan 30, 2014, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish

I compared the wires/motors and props to those on my Nano QX, and they seem to match, but, they do not match those on my Hubsan X4.
Jan 30, 2014, 11:38 AM
I was thinking for added durability without increasing weight too much, it would be easy to use little carbon fiber strips with some CA. I have a few broken micro arms that I keep for that purpose, works well! Throw some Infra-x motors on there and oh yeah!
Latest blog entry: Hubsan H107D Custom FPV Setup
Jan 30, 2014, 11:48 AM
Team Warpsquad!!!
It looks like this one comes with at least a little bit of a landing gear. And there looks to be enough pcb around the motors to be able to drill them out to fit 8mm motors.
Jan 30, 2014, 11:57 AM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Yes the larger brushed motors would be nice