Apr 21, 2017, 09:40 PM
Vintage Heli Flyer.
That animated Gif really shows how easy the retracts can be done, the main part would be a standard retract unit, the rest would be fabrication from tube etc.

It can easily be done if you sit down and work it all out, you can probably 3d print some of the more complex looking parts to fit on over the main wheel bogeys to complete the effect.

I did a fully sprung working oleo set for my Apache based model back in 1985 using nothing more than brass tube, piano wire, 4 springs and some wheel collets and a little soldering. They still work now.

Mark
Last edited by MDSCUSTOMS; Apr 21, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2017, 02:13 AM
Nearly lost her today.ESC shutdown
BAE-146 @ CCF Funfly June 2016 ESC shutoff (1 min 50 sec)
Jun 25, 2017, 03:44 AM
Wow that could have been a bummer good save
Last edited by Sluf7; Jun 25, 2017 at 10:12 PM.
Jun 25, 2017, 08:30 PM
Official Boat Bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnchelicopter
Nearly lost her today.ESC shutdown
cnchelicopter, how how was it outside, when you were flying?

I did not fly my BAe-146 much past 90 degrees when it was powered with a "brushed" system, as it would be too hot for the motors. I never had an ESC shut down though. With my brushless setup now, everything seems to run pretty cool. The highest temperatures ESC's are exposed to in flight tend to be partial throttle when the ESC is "switching" the most to modulate power to the motors. One reason you may have had problems with the eSC is potentially a motor going out and drawing excess amperage... You might be able to tell in a static power test with an amp reading as well as listen to the motors and look at the fans (and also the motors in the slots where you can see the commutators) to see if one is dodgy and sparking.

Glad you were able to land her in one piece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffT
Hi Mark,
I want to fly this plane this season!
Jeff
Jeff T, how's the build going? Just checking! I know builds can often take their time. I've had that happen many times too!
Jun 25, 2017, 11:18 PM
It was pretty hot 95 and humid... I only fly her in winter time..but my club has a Funfly event so I pushed her
Jun 26, 2017, 12:43 PM
Official Boat Bum
Yeah when I was flying brushed motors all my individual engine failures were in the ambient 90 degree plus range! I tended to fly in the early mornings in the summer when brushed power was installed. Hopefully no more of that with brushless! PS if you blew a motor comm or brush and that caused an over amp or temp in the ESC, it will do it again on the next flight, so best to give a good look over before the next flight even if it's done on a cool morning.
Jun 27, 2017, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Jeff T, how's the build going? Just checking! I know builds can often take their time. I've had that happen many times too!
The plane is mostly ready. Nose gear with gear doors installed and working, there are a few touches of paint to correct on the fuselage and complete the gear sequencer and receiver installation inside the fuse.
For the maiden I am going to use a temporary fixed gear and will work on something more "scale" after the maiden
Wind has been blowing hard with a lot of rain during the past weeks. I am hoping for quiet and sunny days during the summer break to maiden the big bird... My hands are already shaking

Jeff
Jun 27, 2017, 11:48 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffT
The plane is mostly ready. Nose gear with gear doors installed and working, there are a few touches of paint to correct on the fuselage and complete the gear sequencer and receiver installation inside the fuse.
For the maiden I am going to use a temporary fixed gear and will work on something more "scale" after the maiden
Wind has been blowing hard with a lot of rain during the past weeks. I am hoping for quiet and sunny days during the summer break to maiden the big bird... My hands are already shaking

Jeff
Best news I've heard all week Jeff, hey don't start getting the "Maiden jitters" now buddy! Wait till maiden flight day! Lol
Jun 28, 2017, 10:46 AM
Official Boat Bum
All right Jeff, best of luck on the maiden, looking forward to hearing about it (no rush of course!)
Jun 30, 2017, 08:28 AM
Hi Eddie ,
I have got a brand new Robbe BAE 146 in the box . I would love to have someone build it for me with all modern equipment. That would be awesome!
Dan
Jun 30, 2017, 02:24 PM
Official Boat Bum
Dan post your questions on my BAe-146 renovation and sound system thread or my BAe-146 blog thread. You should definitely build it (or get it built), it flies so dang nice and even better with the modern power setups. Would be more than happy to give you some pointers there!
Jul 15, 2017, 11:16 PM
Hi Jeff, I am really sorry I didn't check back to see if you had replied to my post last year... I just saw it. I don't check in very often. Do you still want some pictures of the landing gear? I will be flying the RJ85 on Tuesday. I can take some snaps this week for you. The landing gear is a very distinctive part of this plane. Hopefully you can still get some use out of pictures. I'm sorry to have missed your post for over a year!
Jul 17, 2017, 02:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Shergold
Hi Jeff, I am really sorry I didn't check back to see if you had replied to my post last year... I just saw it. I don't check in very often. Do you still want some pictures of the landing gear? I will be flying the RJ85 on Tuesday. I can take some snaps this week for you. The landing gear is a very distinctive part of this plane. Hopefully you can still get some use out of pictures. I'm sorry to have missed your post for over a year!
Hi Keith,
No problem with the late answer This project is progressing so slowly that your pictures of the gear are still needed and would be very welcome! I didn't have much time to work on the plane due to a lot of job and other occupations. But I will hopefully maiden her during the summer and, if everything goes well, I will then try to build a kind of stand off scale main gear later.
Cheers
Jeff
Jul 08, 2018, 12:37 PM
Thread OP

Then came the day!

I know... Again I havent posted any update on this thread for very long. Unfortunately last year was filled with work and other things that didn't leave me much time for flying rc planes and even less time for working on the Avro project.
But I finally freed some time to put the Avro in flying condition. Still, the main gear is a temporary fixed one. I have worked on a design for a scale gear, but if I wait for this to be ready... Another year will pass before this plane can eventually fly.
On this Sunday morning the weather was perfect, with clear sky and almost no wind. At 6.30am I painfully found a way to load the 2m long fuselage and its 80cm wide stabilizer in my car(I now have a good excuse to buy a big van ) , wings went on the side of the fuse, transmitter case and field box on the passenger seat and no space was left for my wife who had to take her car to follow me to the field, as she didn't want to miss the event and would also be in charge of filming.

Half an hour later the plane was assembled and ready for the maiden.
Hands a bit shaky on the sticks, I check once again that everything is moving in the right direction and now it's time to push the throttle stick!
The four fans deliver their full power, she accelerates, bounces a bit on the uneven grass field and there she is up in the air! I can't believe it! She's flying, and it's such a beauty in the air.
No need to trim anything, CG is right on spot and she flies on rails.
My plan was to take off, fly around the field and land. I'm tempted to fly a bit longer, but I don't know how the landing will go and prefer to spare enough battery time for a go around if things go wrong. So I stick to my "flight plan", make a wide turn for a long and shallow approach and there she comes, smooth and easy. She slow downs a lot, I fear a stall and add a bit of throttle, but the bird shows no bad tendency even at slow speed. The touch down is very smooth, and voila "maiden completed"

I was jumping like a kid that everything went so well. This project is now successfully completed and I can think about the next one... or just enjoy flying this bird for the moment

Here is a link to the maiden video:

Large scale radio controlled Avro RJ85 BAE100 rc maiden flight (2 min 53 sec)

and a few photos of the completed plane.

Have fun

Jeff
Last edited by JeffT; Jul 08, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
Jul 08, 2018, 02:35 PM
Airliner Builder
Looks and sounds great well done

Quick Reply