Jan 30, 2014, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60

Thank you Adam! It was heart breaking crashing it on the eighth flight after the remaiden, I didn't touch it for eight months but it's rebuilt and flying again!

Robin
Man I'll bet it was...That's a lot of work. Glad you got her goin" again.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2014, 09:33 PM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Paul!

Still flying two Beaver's or do you have a third now? Are you considering possibly working your magic on one of these when they come out?

Robin
Jan 30, 2014, 09:45 PM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang
I get flying scale planes scale and love to do that myself, but I don't know why this plane would be less appealing to anyone because its overpowered. Just because it has it...doesn't mean you have to use it. It can be flown scale just as easily as any scale plane can be flown poorly and end up looking like a toy zipping around the sky.

There seems to be a very marketable trend lately...and the fun cub may have started it...planes like the Carbon z cub, the 3DHS Bigfoot, etc. High wing sport/scale bush plane type stuff that can do a little bit of everything and that appeal to a broader spectrum of pilots...which makes them sell better. I think this area is where Multiplex is aiming with this plane.

Yes...its way overpowered, and a lot of guys will use it doing knife edges and hovers and such, but nobody's going to hold a gun to my head and make me do it...I will fly mine scale. You can too.
Yeah, I hear that a lot. Everybody does it so it's just "the thing" to do. Meh. Not my style I guess. I do understand the business aspect of it though. If it makes 'em money, more power to 'em.

I have a pair of HobbyKing PC-6's. One I built as a test bed and ended up unintentionally overpowering it based on HK recommendations. It was sorta like putting a big block 427 into a VW Beetle and "driving around at 25% throttle" ya know. Sure, it could hover. But why? Then I went through a harangue in order to get it tamed down. Finally got that done last week and tamed the top speed from 70mph down to 45mph at WOT (even less at part throttle...LOL), then I put the test bed plane up for sale on craigslist.

Am converting the 2nd plane into an AU-23 Peacemaker. With the data gleaned from the PC-6 I'll have a solid plan on motor/ESC/prop combo to give that plane more scale like flying characteristics. Much of it is done but I'm waiting on a new radio purchase before completing that plane.
Jan 30, 2014, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron357
Yeah, I hear that a lot. Everybody does it so it's just "the thing" to do. Meh. Not my style I guess. I do understand the business aspect of it though. If it makes 'em money, more power to 'em.

I have a pair of HobbyKing PC-6's. One I built as a test bed and ended up unintentionally overpowering it based on HK recommendations. It was sorta like putting a big block 427 into a VW Beetle and "driving around at 25% throttle" ya know. Sure, it could hover. But why? Then I went through a harangue in order to get it tamed down. Finally got that done last week and tamed the top speed from 70mph down to 45mph at WOT (even less at part throttle...LOL), then I put the test bed plane up for sale on craigslist.

Am converting the 2nd plane into an AU-23 Peacemaker. With the data gleaned from the PC-6 I'll have a solid plan on motor/ESC/prop combo to give that plane more scale like flying characteristics. Much of it is done but I'm waiting on a new radio purchase before completing that plane.
Your projects sound cool...love to see some pictures!

Yeah..."the thing" to do has always been and will always be whatever sells best. That's the thing about this hobby...to each his own...you may think "why hover?" while another might think "why putt - putt around the sky?", but if you sell airplanes...you gotta make something for everyone. I don't mind sharing a plane with folks that may not like exactly what I like...which if I'm honest...varies...I may fly 3 packs and make it look just like the real thing and then from out of nowhere...ZOOM...low knife edge just because I can and the folks watching don't expect it! (one of the cool things about this class of plane...it can actually do both well), and I don't mind 25% throttle...that's one of the reasons I have a left stick. I'm just thankful companies like Multiplex sell enough airplanes to somebody to keep coming out with cool stuff for me to buy. Besides...what better way to teach some of these hot dogs the beauty of throttling back and flying scale that to show them how?

I have flown scale for a while and I have rarely ever seen nor do I own a scale plane that at full throttle won't greatly out perform it's full size counterpart...at least on initial climb, and that's with some of them being powered by motors on the lowest end of recommendation.

This is my opinion, but I believe that the most important part of making a scale plane have scale like characteristics has never been it's motor...by far and away...it's the pilot.

BTW...If I could get a 427 in a beetle...I would so do it! I mean admit it...it would be useless...but sooooo cool!!

Adam
Jan 31, 2014, 01:36 AM
serial scratchbuilder
The Bug From Hell 427 Big Block Chevy (1 min 26 sec)
Jan 31, 2014, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
Now that's just cool man!!
Jan 31, 2014, 04:05 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60
Paul!

Still flying two Beaver's or do you have a third now? Are you considering possibly working your magic on one of these when they come out?

Robin
Still two Beavers but I was looking for a cessna 185 still but since I like the Pilatus too well yes I will work my magic too I guess
Jan 31, 2014, 04:54 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Here is a nice site to get good ideas

http://www.pc-6.com/

also
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/br.../pilatus_pc-6/
Jan 31, 2014, 09:09 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granted
When I was a kid my buddy had a blown 350 in a Vega. The frame would twist when he'd punch it. Scary car.

I remember the cops pulling us over one time... not to hassle him, but to ask him about it
Jan 31, 2014, 10:52 AM
Wada ya mean, over engineered?
Paul-RC,

I think I'll 'wait and see' on this one, I'd really like to hear about other modelers flight impressions before I get too excited. If they're good, I see plenty of opportunity for 'scale enhancement' provided it's not already at the upper end of it's weight envelope!

Robin
Jan 31, 2014, 11:26 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49
When I was a kid my buddy had a blown 350 in a Vega. The frame would twist when he'd punch it. Scary car.

I remember the cops pulling us over one time... not to hassle him, but to ask him about it
Guy I used to work with had a 396 in a Nissan p/u, cost him a windshield every time he punched it.
Jan 31, 2014, 01:05 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Since this model will not come with a battery it's easy to make it fly scale... just use a 2 Cell battery instead of a 3 cell.

Mike.
Jan 31, 2014, 06:16 PM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Stang
Your projects sound cool...love to see some pictures!

Yeah..."the thing" to do has always been and will always be whatever sells best. That's the thing about this hobby...to each his own...you may think "why hover?" while another might think "why putt - putt around the sky?", but if you sell airplanes...you gotta make something for everyone. I don't mind sharing a plane with folks that may not like exactly what I like...which if I'm honest...varies...I may fly 3 packs and make it look just like the real thing and then from out of nowhere...ZOOM...low knife edge just because I can and the folks watching don't expect it! (one of the cool things about this class of plane...it can actually do both well), and I don't mind 25% throttle...that's one of the reasons I have a left stick. I'm just thankful companies like Multiplex sell enough airplanes to somebody to keep coming out with cool stuff for me to buy. Besides...what better way to teach some of these hot dogs the beauty of throttling back and flying scale that to show them how?

I have flown scale for a while and I have rarely ever seen nor do I own a scale plane that at full throttle won't greatly out perform it's full size counterpart...at least on initial climb, and that's with some of them being powered by motors on the lowest end of recommendation.

This is my opinion, but I believe that the most important part of making a scale plane have scale like characteristics has never been it's motor...by far and away...it's the pilot.

BTW...If I could get a 427 in a beetle...I would so do it! I mean admit it...it would be useless...but sooooo cool!!

Adam
In my case I meant why hover a Porter instead of a sport plane. Not that pilots shouldn't hover any plane. It just doesn't look right with a STOL cargo plane like the Porter.

That 427 bug video was interesting. Plenty more out there in the world I guess. I drove a 427 powered trike... ONCE.

I generally fly alone and have no interest in impressing others, pilots or not. I just fly to enjoy the experience whether it's slow flying or hot dogging. And yeah, back in the 70s I flew 150mph pylon racers too. I'm not anti-speed.

This is my HK Porter prop testing from last week. The plane went from a tiger to a pussycat. At 70mph with the "big" prop, it was at nearly 50% of the full sized plane's top speed.

Click image to view video

When I originally saw this thread I though the Mpx Porter was going to be more like this one:
R/C Pilatus Porter PC 6 (3 min 41 sec)

Or maybe this one:
Superlight Pilatus PC 6 Turbo Porter (2 min 27 sec)

And this is a short video of the retractable landing lights I've installed in the AU-23. Auto-shutoff on retraction.

Click to view video

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry
Since this model will not come with a battery it's easy to make it fly scale... just use a 2 Cell battery instead of a 3 cell.

Mike.
Hmmm... interesting idea.
Jan 31, 2014, 07:52 PM
Very cool slow flying but it certainly is not scale.
Jan 31, 2014, 10:14 PM
25+ years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2
Very cool slow flying but it certainly is not scale.
Pretty close though...

SAPS Pilatus PC-6 Porter Aerial Display (6 min 29 sec)

Quick Reply