Mar 04, 2017, 11:25 PM
Have fun
No the deadband in agility ruins trying to fly precisely. Stability and camera mode works fine and certainly flies fantastic in agility. FWIW if you have a Taranis you can set the end point to minimize the deadband. Would've switched receivers but the inverted flying is so much fun. It sounds like you want something casual you can use your MPL4DSM to with. It will work with anything dsmx but with fast heavy brushless quads you really want large gimbals and expo adjust. The DXe with programming cable is a great beginner radio and will do just fine for all but hardcore projects.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2017, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76
i am thinking about this quad as a next from a nano QX. Not into vids or racing yet. I am more looking for a simple back yard flier i can get more experience with and learn more acro. The price fits my wallet, would you suggest it?
I went down the same path and couldnt be happier with my decision. I was lucky enough to find a like new DX6 gen 2 for just over a hundred bucks on ebay, then found a 200qx on craigslist with the rakon heli frame parts included for about the same price of a new 200qx. It flies fantastic. The DX9 Stagility mode file i found here made it easy to transition into aerobatics as well. I will likely mount a camera on it this summer, but it wasnt my primary goal initially either. The range on this setup is incredible, and ive been lucky a couple of times getting it so far out i could barely see it but still luckily able to navigate it back. No brainer transition in my opinion.
Mar 05, 2017, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbigd
I went down the same path and couldnt be happier with my decision. I was lucky enough to find a like new DX6 gen 2 for just over a hundred bucks on ebay, then found a 200qx on craigslist with the rakon heli frame parts included for about the same price of a new 200qx. It flies fantastic. The DX9 Stagility mode file i found here made it easy to transition into aerobatics as well. I will likely mount a camera on it this summer, but it wasnt my primary goal initially either. The range on this setup is incredible, and ive been lucky a couple of times getting it so far out i could barely see it but still luckily able to navigate it back. No brainer transition in my opinion.
Thanks for the input. I've looked at other BL quad, one is a 250 size about the same price when I would be done buying all the parts. I like the idea of the 200q for local support.
Now to decide quad or plane LOL
Mar 05, 2017, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
No the deadband in agility ruins trying to fly precisely. Stability and camera mode works fine and certainly flies fantastic in agility.
It is interesting to note that the 200QX and my venerable MQX both have an identical amount of cyclic deadband (+/-3%). I never EVER noticed it on the MQX until I carefully tested it. It is very noticeable on the 200QX. The reason is that the MQX requires significantly more elevator / aileron channel travel compared to the 200QX for the same airframe reaction. That makes the same amount of deadband more noticeable on the 200QX, and especially so if you reduce the throws or add a lot of expo in the transmitter.

If the throw could be reduced IN THE 200QX instead of in the transmitter, the deadband would probably fade to undetectable levels like it is on the MQX. I keep my transmitter throws at 100% and use little to no expo and have gotten used to the deadband.

More annoying is the very poor / sloppy yaw stopping power on the 200QX. If you start a pirouette and then center the rudder stick, the controller applies an opposite yaw force to stop the rotation. However, A) it is not very aggressive and B) it stops the rotation and holds position wherever it eventually stops, NOT where you centered the stick. For example, start a piriouette and let it rotate as fast as it can. Then center the rudder stick and note where it was pointing when you centered the stick. My 200QX will end up coasting and stopping anywhere between 90 degrees and 180 degrees from the position where I centered the stick. My first attempt at a stall turn was NOT pretty...... it made quite a thud when it hit

One last quirk to be aware of is that the system that senses level can be seriously affected by aerobatics. Do three or four successive flips in acro mode and then quickly switch to self leveling. It will tilt away from the direction of the flips and if you are not ready for it can fly away from you. Take about 15 seconds for it to restore correct level. Those 15 seconds can be a bit.... exciting Sounds like nitpicking, but think of what could happen if you rely on self leveling mode as a "bailout" after aerobatics. There were a bunch of flyaway reports in the early days and I am pretty sure this was the cause.

All that said, I still love my 200QX. And it is (was?) even more of a bargain at the discounted $149 price. Hands down the best flying ~200 sized ready to fly quad you can get for the money.

Paul
Mar 05, 2017, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades9323
I'll check that out. Any idea how to use the file?

So I downloaded this file and flashed it onto my Taranis. I Still can't get it to arm. I try the official way to arm and sometimes it just beeps at me. Saw another post that says I need to change the endpoints to 1100 an 1900 so I did that manually and no dice. Im at a loss here.
Last edited by shades9323; Mar 05, 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Mar 06, 2017, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muck76
i am thinking about this quad as a next from a nano QX. Not into vids or racing yet. I am more looking for a simple back yard flier i can get more experience with and learn more acro. The price fits my wallet, would you suggest it?
For what you're describing, it's a great bird. 3 modes, too, which make it easy right at first, and more agile/challenging as the skillsets evolve. Mine can even carry a tiny camera, though something bigger (the weight of a GoPro) makes it struggle. Hope this is helpful.

Others here can speak to updating something inside the bird and swapping props to where you can do flips, etc. Way over my head...
Mar 06, 2017, 10:41 PM
Have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoelz

Paul
Never noticed the deadband in the MQX, wow! I never really noticed the deadband until I started messing with the inverted flying and found it almost impossible to hover precisely. Can't wait to get a taranis q x7 to remove that deadband.
Mar 11, 2017, 06:18 PM
I could use some help. I have decided to try out the eflite 721 camera, but i have no idea how to program my dx6 to control stills and video. I have the stagility .spm file i got here on post 4407 p. 294.
Tia
BigD
Mar 11, 2017, 06:50 PM
Have fun
the 721 manual has all the info you need
Mar 11, 2017, 07:03 PM
Lol, should have figured. I guess ill wait till it shows up, thanks
Mar 11, 2017, 10:03 PM
This appears to be well thought of drone, very popular, I am thinking of great one.

Ken
Mar 28, 2017, 12:37 PM
What goes up must come down
Once you do the firmware up grade can you still bind to the old flight modes as well as the new flight modes (stick to left) if you wanted, sense the throttle stick movement let you choose ?
Mar 28, 2017, 12:54 PM
a.k.a. FPVisnotacrime
It's all in the manual:
Mar 28, 2017, 03:06 PM
What goes up must come down
Thank you I do not have a manual and did not think that this update was even in it ,,
I will down load one
Apr 02, 2017, 07:54 AM
When cows fly!
I have been having a great time with my 200QX. Downloaded the setup file to my Spektrum 9x.

200QX Fun In The Snow! (2 min 47 sec)

Quick Reply