Feb 19, 2018, 06:39 PM
From Earth to the Moon!

DO NOT CHANGE SAFE settings!

I posted in another forum an answer to my problem for all interested. In a nutshell: DO NOT CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN A SAFE AS3X RX with phone or PC!

Check my reply in another thread with details:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post39205218
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2018, 08:35 PM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!

AR636H in an old 2004 nikko heli

The SkyWatcher is a 2-channel Heli released by Nikko in 2004. With no gyro, no rudder control and no pitch control, Nikko took a stab at the RC heli market and it was really popular because of the low price point (99Eur) at that time. And not many people understood the mechanics of a hobby-grade Heli at that time so they bought it, only to be disappointed that it would smash into the wall at home immediately after take-off. Today, we have affordable quad-copter flight-control board which has 6-axis stabilization so I picked up one of these vintage choppers at a Garage sale to give it a new lease of life with an AR636H (stock settings)
Turning Vintage Toy Heli into Hobby-Grade! IT FLIES!!! (17 min 50 sec)
Feb 21, 2018, 10:01 PM
in my experience with these 8" windows atom based tabs, and I've had a bunch over the years from Microcenter, Best Buy and finally the Neuvision sold on Microsofts own store, if you have a full size USB on it, you're golden out of the box for the programming cable... if you have a micro USB that's also the charge port, you may need a $5 OTG to micro to full size adapter.
Feb 22, 2018, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tware
in my experience with these 8" windows atom based tabs, and I've had a bunch over the years from Microcenter, Best Buy and finally the Neuvision sold on Microsofts own store, if you have a full size USB on it, you're golden out of the box for the programming cable... if you have a micro USB that's also the charge port, you may need a $5 OTG to micro to full size adapter.
Very good. That's just what I ordered yesterday. Thank you for that information.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Feb 22, 2018, 04:41 PM
Wandering IT geek
So, I tried the iOS app with the BT dongle connected properly to an AR7350 receiver running the latest firmware and powered by a 2Cell Lipo.

When I touch the bluetooth icon in the app the light on the dongle stops blinking and goes solid. The iPad sees the BT BLE device in it's list of connected devices but when I click the arrows in a circle to commit the setting changes I get an error that the receiver isn't connected.

I rebooted the iPad and force quit the Spektrum app several times without success. Any hints on how to get this working?
Feb 22, 2018, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
So, I tried the iOS app with the BT dongle connected properly to an AR7350 receiver running the latest firmware and powered by a 2Cell Lipo.

When I touch the bluetooth icon in the app the light on the dongle stops blinking and goes solid. The iPad sees the BT BLE device in it's list of connected devices but when I click the arrows in a circle to commit the setting changes I get an error that the receiver isn't connected.

I rebooted the iPad and force quit the Spektrum app several times without success. Any hints on how to get this working?
This is my method:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7#post39014488
Feb 22, 2018, 05:07 PM
sounds like you're doing the way its supposed to be done.
Last edited by tware; Feb 22, 2018 at 05:25 PM.
Feb 22, 2018, 05:24 PM
Quote:

I just tested it with an iPad Air 2 and the Bluetooth connected and transferred what was in the receiver to the iPad. Iím using an AR9350.
Feb 23, 2018, 06:19 AM
Blue Skies
My phone, camera and PC are supposed to be able to transfer pictures via BT. But something always fails to connect so I end up taking out the SD card from the camera and moving it to my PC. For my phone I end up sending my pics via email to myself. Reading about the problems getting an AS3X Rx programmed here sounds like science fiction so far. It can be done if you're either very lucky or have a Masters in Programming or Information Science. Should I go iOS or Android? I'm still hurting after choosing Betamax! And now there's Betaflight. I won't be fooled again on that one. But I do know the difference between Bluetooth and BlueRay.
Don
Feb 23, 2018, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
Should I go iOS or Android?
If you already have an IOS device and an Android device, try both. The apps are free. The IOS is more likely to work for you. Many people report the Android app doesn't work on their phones. After recently trying the PC version of the app, I would recommend that over either IOS or Android as long as you have the Spektrum cable and have access to the receiver. It has more features and seemed bullet proof to me.
Feb 23, 2018, 02:48 PM
Wandering IT geek
More bluetooth fun...

I brought the receiver and a battery pack into work so I could test with my iPad, a stack of newer iPadAir 2's I'm configuring for a project and an older HTC One which is still running Android 6.x.

The iPad Air 2 connects and can make config changes pretty reliably.

The iPad Air that I own says it connects but refuses to read settings from the receiver most of the time.

The HTC One running Android 6.x can make config changes but it seems to be far less reliable than the iPad Air 2.

So, from my unscientific observations it looks like I'll need to go get an iPad Air 2 or better if I want to be able to reliably make configuration changes via Bluetooth to the receiver...
Feb 23, 2018, 03:58 PM
Quote:
More bluetooth fun...

I brought the receiver and a battery pack into work so I could test with my iPad, a stack of newer iPadAir 2's I'm configuring for a project and an older HTC One which is still running Android 6.x.

The iPad Air 2 connects and can make config changes pretty reliably.

The iPad Air that I own says it connects but refuses to read settings from the receiver most of the time.

The HTC One running Android 6.x can make config changes but it seems to be far less reliable than the iPad Air 2.

So, from my unscientific observations it looks like I'll need to go get an iPad Air 2 or better if I want to be able to reliably make configuration changes via Bluetooth to the receiver...
That's sounds awfully expensive. If you're determined to go IOS, maybe get a used iPhone on eBay. I can't say it would work for everyone, but I had no trouble using an iPhone 4,5 and 6S.
Feb 25, 2018, 11:06 AM

My two cents worth

My Samsung S6 worked great with the BT dongle, my new S8 does not. Supposedly the droid S8 software is being worked on, not holding my breath. My fall back was and is my laptop running WIN 10 which works great.
Feb 26, 2018, 12:56 PM
Wandering IT geek
The laptop works great via the USB cable but I'm not able to connect it via bluetooth. Andy stated that the Dev is waiting on Win 10 Libraries... What I'm trying to avoid is having to pull the wing to get at the receiver or cut a hole in the side of an airplane to allow the USB adapter to connect to the receiver.
Feb 26, 2018, 01:47 PM
Put an extension on the port, poke three small holes 0.1" apart in the side, glue the plug inside the fuse - like what guys do for being able to monitor RX battery pack voltage, etc.

Take the outer shell off the connector on the external cable, plug the three pins through the small holes into the plane.

I'd probably put a black dot around the ground pin hole, or always put it in the rear-most position (black is back..)

Quick Reply