Aug 29, 2017, 09:02 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Wondering if there would be any incompatibility. Have a friend who has a DX6 and wants to use it with a 30cc gasser. Plane takes more than 6 channels to operate with dual ailerons and dual elevators. Since these receivers set up the servos end points, servo assignment, etc. I'm thinking this would work. Has anyone tried it or had personal experience? I figure it only takes four inputs for the flight control leaving two channels for engine kill and gyro gain?

thanks,

Jay
Not sure. I assume you want flight mode + rate gain as well as Ignition cut.

However it may be possible to dispense with rate gain once you have done initial setup .. preferably with a DX7+ or with no one around.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 30, 2017, 06:34 AM
It will work. I use a DX9 w/ many 7350/9350s loaded w servos and often only have 5-6 channels used from the tx. It's a real advantage w/ those receivers.
Aug 30, 2017, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdub
It will work. I use a DX9 w/ many 7350/9350s loaded w servos and often only have 5-6 channels used from the tx. It's a real advantage w/ those receivers.
Cool thanks!

Jay
Aug 30, 2017, 08:46 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Wondering if there would be any incompatibility. Have a friend who has a DX6 and wants to use it with a 30cc gasser. Plane takes more than 6 channels to operate with dual ailerons and dual elevators. Since these receivers set up the servos end points, servo assignment, etc. I'm thinking this would work. Has anyone tried it or had personal experience? I figure it only takes four inputs for the flight control leaving two channels for engine kill and gyro gain?

thanks,

Jay
The 7350 and 9350 can do all the wing/tail mixing you need at the receiver, so you can run it off 4ch for the basic flight controls. That leaves you with 2 more channels for engine kill and your gyro gain/flight modes.
Aug 30, 2017, 05:49 PM
Vietnam Veteran, Army

AR636 AS3X Receiver

I'm planning to install some retracts in my E-Flite FJ-2 Fury, replacing the fixed gear.
The Fury came factory equipped with an AR636. I performed the usual channel
assignment gear to gear, plus assigned the input switch A. I can see channel 5
move on the monitor when I use the switch. Unfortunately, the retracts refuse
to function when plugged into port 5 on the receiver. If I plug them into channel 6
(an aileron mix from the factory), the retracts operate if I move the aileron stick
full left and full right.

For what it's worth, I set up the Gear channel, travel and Gear switch exactly as I
have configured for my Mini Avanti S that is using an AR9350 AS3X receiver. That
airplane works perfectly, retracts and all.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Aug 30, 2017, 06:17 PM
Unterwerfen Sie sich der Gewal
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerChaos
I'm planning to install some retracts in my E-Flite FJ-2 Fury, replacing the fixed gear.
The Fury came factory equipped with an AR636. I performed the usual channel
assignment gear to gear, plus assigned the input switch A. I can see channel 5
move on the monitor when I use the switch. Unfortunately, the retracts refuse
to function when plugged into port 5 on the receiver. If I plug them into channel 6
(an aileron mix from the factory), the retracts operate if I move the aileron stick
full left and full right.

For what it's worth, I set up the Gear channel, travel and Gear switch exactly as I
have configured for my Mini Avanti S that is using an AR9350 AS3X receiver. That
airplane works perfectly, retracts and all.

Any thoughts appreciated.
What channel is the flight mode set to in the 636 or is it disabled?
Aug 30, 2017, 06:42 PM
Vietnam Veteran, Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy_fo
What channel is the flight mode set to in the 636 or is it disabled?
I use Switch B for Flight Modes, but it's not assigned to anything at the moment.
Aug 30, 2017, 07:21 PM
Unterwerfen Sie sich der Gewal
Do you have a way of connecting to your receiver (desktop or mobile app) and checking the settings there?

Without checking for myself to verify I can only guess but perhaps the gear channel is used to set the flight modes in the receiver since retracts didn't come with the plane. My e-flite p-51 which came with a 636 assigns flight modes to the flap channel so I know in that case the channel still works in tandem with changing the flight (stability) modes. Don't know if that works differently for the gear channel but worth checking if you can.
Aug 30, 2017, 08:45 PM
Vietnam Veteran, Army
I got it working. First, I reset everything in my iPhone then reconfigured all the settings. Next, I connected
to the receiver, resulting in the mismatch message. Hit the transfer settings to receiver and all is well. I think
I may have got that step reversed last time.

Yes, I had to make some mods to the factory settings, but everything is working now. Thanks!
Sep 02, 2017, 10:52 AM
Vietnam Veteran, Army

Retract mod

A little more about the project...

The FJ-2 Fury BNF arrives from the factory with the elevator servos plugged into port 2 and port 5.
As I'm sure most folks know, port 5 is traditionally used as the GEAR (retract) channel.

Using a simply "Y" connector out of port 2 does not solve the problem because the left elevator will
operate in reverse. I tried an electronic reversing "Y" connector for a few moments and it did work.
However, I recall reading somewhere else on this forum that Spektrum advises not using electronic
reversing "Y" cables with AS3X receivers. So, what to do.

Well, I popped out the left elevator servo, removed the bottom of the case, then reversed the wires
to the motor and feed-back pot.

Next, went back to the Spektrum programmer utility app and assigned channel 2 to both elevators
(in other words, unselected channel 5 on the left elevator). Viola, it now works with a simple, non-
electronic "Y" connector.

So now port 5 can be configured back to its proper GEAR channel, which I did. Tested the retracts
and they work. Way cool!

Next: some foam surgery in the wing, followed by installation of a plywood mounting pad for the
main gear retracts.
Last edited by KillerChaos; Sep 02, 2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
Sep 04, 2017, 03:06 PM
OK, I did a dumb thing the other day. Thought I had it figured outbut not sure yet. Maybe someone can give some insight.

Plane is a flat foam XF5U, twin motor. Using an AR636 rx and DX18g2 tx. I added the 636 to it just a couple of weeks ago, and had several good flights on it. The gyro really made it fly nice. But I wanted to mix in differential throttle like I had before with my non-gyro rx.

The ESC's used the THR and AUX1 channels. there was of course already a straight THR>AUX1 mix. I added RUD>THR and RUD>AUX1 for the differential, and put limits on the THR and AUX1 to prevent them form going below -100 or above +100. Had the mixes on a switch so I could enable/disable as desired.

While testing on the table to make sure it worked right, the left motor started chattering then quit responding. Then the right motor started chattering. I powered off the plane at this point. Cycled power on the tx and turned off the gyro (In one mode I had no gains programmed) and the RUD mixes, powered the plane back up, worked fine. Turned on the mix, worked fine. So of course, stupid me, I took off. Turned the gyro on, did a really cool double stall turn, then on the downwind she started rolling. Not being 3 mistakes high, by the time I got my senses and switched off the gyro and RUD mixes, it was too late. My flying pancake did an inverted, sideways-sliding pancake on to the runway...

Picking up the pieces, realizing how stupid I was, I wondered what could I have done differently. My first thought is, I should have no gyro gains or anything programmed on the rudder in any mode the RUD mixes are enabled. But now I'm wondering. To the best of my knowledge, the AR636 isn't doing any gyro magic to the THR channel, at least, and I didn't, to the best of my knowledge, program it to do anything with the AUX1 channel. I'm thinking the RUD mixes are going on in the tx, so the only thing the rx 'knows' are what the tx is telling the rx to do with the THR and AUX1 channels? So I guess I'm not fully aware of what's going on in the rx. Anyone have more insight on this? I haven't put the plane back together enough to test any theories out.

Name: xf5u.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 918.8 KB
Description:
Sep 05, 2017, 02:17 AM
BMFA 190658
Check in the app. to see if AUX1 is used for Flight Modes.

Are you able to put the second motor on another channel?
It doesn't look to have retracts. Try the GEAR channel
Sep 05, 2017, 07:38 PM
Good ideas, SilentPilot. I'll check those out. Thanks.
Sep 05, 2017, 09:12 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Second outing with Ultra Stick 40 test bird for 7350. On the first I established 70 % for rate on 3 axis with no flutter. Today was for heading hold. Roll is fine at 70. So I confidently loaded both elevator and rudder on mode 3. After turning downwind I flicked to mode 3. Fine. Next turn the plane wanted to climb out of the bank. Out of interest I let it do its' thing. Instead of completing the turn it ended up vertical wheels towards me. No problem with such a big wing I flipped to mode 2(rate mode) & all was fine. Priority was set at 125% across the board and dual rates were set at full.
I had hopes that Heading hold would be useful for knife edge and landing in gusty wind. Not sure how this is going to work.
Sep 06, 2017, 05:49 AM

ar636 as3x for p2 promethius

I am trying to programm an ar636 for my p2 with the programmer 3.1.
The Expo and dualrate shoud have been set in the reciever, i tried this - but on the
Expo and dualrate page are flight mode 0,1,2 windows - and on the Gain and priority
flight mode 1,2,3 windows. The dashboard shows that the settings are not right ?
How can I solve this ?

Quick Reply