Nov 11, 2016, 11:46 AM
No bounce, No play.
Oh yeah, and what gains to start with on this small plane.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2016, 11:53 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Why not remotely adjust them while flying?

Set gains for one surface to 100% REL and then enable AS3X telemetry on your transmitter and adjust them remotely.

Once in the air adjust until surface oscillates then back down a little. I usually adjust at full throttle.

Then take note of the value and lock it in the receive by changing back from 100% REL to 53% ABS for example.

Then repeat for the other surfaces and voila.

What I do is set aileron on one FM, Elevator on another and Rudder on the 3rd flight mode.

Each set to 100%Rel and during flying I switch flight modes and adjust each control surface taking note of the value the control surface starts to oscillate then back down.

Then once on the ground I lock in the value.
Nov 11, 2016, 12:31 PM
No bounce, No play.
May have to start again or something. Tried to set up for adjusting gains and now whatever I had for FM3 it put the same values on the rest of the FModes. I don't see it changing the values when I use the trimmer.

Ya gotta watch when I hit FMode selection on the AS3X screen it re-assigned channels. GER, AX3,4,5 changed to FMode on Channel Input Config. I had them INIH and GER on SW5.
Nov 11, 2016, 12:45 PM
OK I for my Spitfire with some flap/elevator mix and it works perfectly.

On another note I have enjoyed my AR 636 so much I bought a AR 7350 for my Phoenix models Stuka. I know the major programming difference between the two are that you set up the dual rates and expo in the RX for the 636 and in the TX for the 7350. Is there any other things that are different?
Nov 11, 2016, 12:57 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdub
Ahh. That may be my limit testing w/ the 7350 instead of my 9350. When I change the wing type to "2 aileron 2 flaps" I see the TX will need to transmit 2 flap channels (aux 1 &2). That will use up 2 tx channels so I will have to see if I still have enough (DX8G2.) Was hoping w/ the 9350 to get "2 aileron 2 flap" and "dual elevator". In the model I'm looking at, both one of the flaps and elevator need a servo reverser. I can do that in the electronically w/ the extra 9350 output ports.

So would have to setup the DX8G2 TX to transmit (in no particular order):
1) throttle
2) aileron
3) elevator
4) rudder
5) gear
6) flight mode
7) flaps 1
8) flaps 2

The AR9350 RX will have on its output ports (again, no particular order):
1) throttle
2) aileron L
3) aileron R
4) elevator 1
5) elevator 2
6) rudder
7) gear
8) flaps 1
9) flaps 2

So still looks doable in my case.

Though now that I look at the programming options closer, I don't see how one could do a 'crow' setup w/ 2 aileron/2 flaps w/ an AS3X receiver. You would need a "2 spoileron/1(or 2)flap" selection.
I think of "Flight Mode" as just a basket of transmitter adaptions grouped on one switch; no channel required.
Nov 11, 2016, 01:06 PM
No bounce, No play.
I made it this far. Switching the FModes. I don't see any change when using the trimmer. I tried all the options under Channel.
Nov 11, 2016, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
I think of "Flight Mode" as just a basket of transmitter adaptions grouped on one switch; no channel required.
If you want the AS3X to change between its three banks of settings you need to send something like flight mode over on a channel. If you were out of channels you could slave it to something like gear instead. You'd have one AS3X gain setting when the gear was down and another when it was up.
Nov 11, 2016, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
If you want the AS3X to change between its three banks of settings you need to send something like flight mode over on a channel.
Yup, and this is one of the first steps when setting up a new unit. Unfortunately, Horizon skipped that step in the multiple videos they have for setting up the AR636. He talks about doing it in a later video and even references the flight mode setup being in a previous video. Nope, you skipped it, dude. I went back and re-watched all of the videos up to that point because I had a question on it myself. I just kept clicking around on my own until I finally got it right.
Nov 11, 2016, 02:40 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
If you want the AS3X to change between its three banks of settings...
I seem to have got that part, but no adjustment with the trimmer.
Nov 11, 2016, 03:08 PM
I can't help w/ that part davidmc36. I've never used the trimmer/pot to do it on the fly. One of the guys who suggested it (like freechip) will have to chime in how its done.

Watching this video, looks like you dont have a channel set?
Spektrum AS3X Step 15: Relative Gain Settings (Final Model Setup) (8 min 43 sec)
Nov 11, 2016, 03:12 PM
You set an axis to REL mode instead of ABS mode.

Then you follow the instructions in the changelog PDF for setting it up. If you do it first, it will configure your flight modes properly.

That's about all I remember from working on it.

Andy
Nov 11, 2016, 03:29 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
If you want the AS3X to change between its three banks of settings you need to send something like flight mode over on a channel. If you were out of channels you could slave it to something like gear instead. You'd have one AS3X gain setting when the gear was down and another when it was up.
My understanding is that in the 7&9 channel it is handled in the Tx & he is using a 9ch.
636 is rumoured to doing the same eventually following updates.
Nov 11, 2016, 03:45 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Watching this video, looks like you dont have a channel set?
In the screen shots I was just showing I have the FModes working. I tried all the choices for Channel and nothing moves the gains.
Nov 11, 2016, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
My understanding is that in the 7&9 channel it is handled in the Tx & he is using a 9ch.
636 is rumoured to doing the same eventually following updates.
No. You now put the D/R and Expo in the transmitter w/ the 7 & 9 ch RXs. You still must still send something to the rx to get it to change which AS3X gain mode its in.
Nov 11, 2016, 04:02 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
..follow the instructions in the changelog..
This one:???

New Features & Improvements
• Added AS3X Gain monitor functions for use with AR636, AR6335, and similar
AS3X receivers. When you enable telemetry option AS3X, you are able to see
gain status in real time, and adjust it with a trimmer. Note that this function
performs the following re-configurations in your radio:
o The F-Mode switch has its outputs set to the proper values for AS3X
operation. If you are using it for other purposes, you will need to
reconfigure those features to allow AS3X to use them.
o Mix 16 (DX10t and higher) is used to control AS3X gain.
o The selected channel is reconfigured for proper control. If you change the
channel, you will need to manually re-assign the old channel to its desired
purpose.
o Enables a screen “AS3X Gains” on the Function List to configure
parameters.
o Enables the AS3X telemetry gain monitor on the telemetry screens.
o If you are using a DX6, you can tweak the gains using the roller while on
the AS3X Gains configuration screen. If you are using a higher radio, you
can adjust at any time using the desired trimmer.

Quick Reply