Jul 07, 2016, 08:23 PM
FlyGuy

Can an AR9350 AS3X cause unexpected elevator position change?

While I'm waiting for a response from Horizon Tech Support, I thought I'd ask you guys.

Yesterday I had a perfect maiden flight with a 35cc Edge airplane. All the AR9350 Rx gyro gains were set to zero and the dual rates and exposes were all set to around 50%. I was using my 18DX gen2. I put 3 flights on a foamy with the 18DXgen2 before the incident described below and 3 more flights on the foamy after the incident; so, I'm thinking the Tx is fine.

During takeoff for the second flight I gave a little up elevator and suddenly the plane shot straight up. I managed to land safely with lots of down stick to finish out the flight. Upon examining the airplane there was about 25 degrees of up elevator, as though it was set that way via a trim function. There wasn't enough trim from the Tx to put the elevator back to neutral. The elevator Tx stick still did a smooth job of controlling the elevator.

By the time I got the airplane home and into my basement all worked fine. I checked all the Tx settings and AR 9350 settings and they were fine.

I've ordered a new elevator servo while waiting to hear from Horizon Tech Support. The 9350 is new out of the box for this airplane. The servo has been in a couple electric airplanes before this gasser.

Comments?
Has anybody had an AS3X Rx do anything like this?
My thoughts are that it's either the Rx or the servo.

Thanks for your help.

to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2016, 03:10 AM
BMFA 190658
I've had issues like that with an AR6335. Not installed my 9350 yet though so can't speak for that one...

The 6335 was in my Adagio glider. The problem I had in flight was when I used Tx trim and didn't let go of the sticks for a couple of seconds. You need to let go so the Rx sees the new 'centre' point, not letting go results in the trim being added multiple times, with bad results!

No problems now though. It really locks in on turbulent slopes, the Heading Hold is amazing!!

Like I say though I'm not sure if this applies to 7350/9350 versions...

Tony
Jul 08, 2016, 06:42 AM
The auto trim feature,may be the culprit.
Fwiw, it is an idea which should be accompanied by aloud klaxon horn.
The dx10 had this feature and I thought it was good crash insurance.
That is, it was bound to crash the unwary flier.
I seem to recall an observation about being careful when adding features.
Just because it is possible, it does not follow it is a Good idea.
Somewhere along the line, this warning was dropped ,
The idea of auto braking on new cars is another idea that will prove to bite the designers in the butt
Last edited by richard hanson; Jul 08, 2016 at 06:48 AM.
Jul 08, 2016, 07:06 AM
FlyGuy
Thanks for your replies Guys.
I probably made a couple minor trim adjustments during the maiden; but, I didn't make any trim adjustments for my second flight (the one with the issue).

What's the auto trim feature? I haven't heard of that.
Jul 08, 2016, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
The idea of auto braking on new cars is another idea that will prove to bite the designers in the butt
But first it will decapitate a few drivers. Just ask Tesla.

Andy
Jul 08, 2016, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhflyguy
What's the auto trim feature? I haven't heard of that.
In the DX10t/DX18t, it's a way to transfer the trim settings from the trims to the subtrim. Bad idea IMHO, but demanded by certain markets.

In the receivers it is the way that the receiver learns "center" behavior.

Andy
Jul 09, 2016, 04:57 PM
nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhflyguy
Thanks for your replies Guys.
I probably made a couple minor trim adjustments during the maiden; but, I didn't make any trim adjustments for my second flight (the one with the issue).
Inflight triming is a known problem only with AR636/6335 and when having expo configured in the Rx. With AR7350/9350 this is not a problem.

Known problem since long. There is a solution, as can be seen in 9350/7350, but no updates for 636/6335 as yet. Why is this not fixed yet? Over a year now....
/A
Jul 10, 2016, 02:34 AM
BMFA 190658
It seems those of us that bought the open stock AR636 have been treated as Beta testers.

The newer 636's seem to be sorted (some even having SAFE select) and 7350/9350's again seem to be better.

Why no firmware/airware update for the open stock 636?

I bought a 636 & 6335 in good faith, if there has been found to be problems then I would expect a solution to come my way...
Jul 10, 2016, 08:56 AM

DX6 w/AS3X and T-28 Question for Andy Kunz(Spectrum)

Hi Andy - I have a DX6 operating an E-Flite T-28 (1.2m) with AS3X. Flys great. Since the plane has flaps and gear, all channels are used, per the manual. Using the Spectrum AS3X app on my PC(with proper cable), is there any way to reprogram the receiver to perform like a non AS3X and set up 3 different flight modes - FM1 non AS3X, FM2 AS3X as is and FM3 with more zip? Sorry for the long-winded question. Thanks. P.
Jul 10, 2016, 11:57 AM
nerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
It seems those of us that bought the open stock AR636 have been treated as Beta testers.
No, beta testers are treated much better. Their input is highly valued and taken into actual product improvements.
/A
Jul 10, 2016, 04:04 PM
Do these receivers send telemetry for the RX voltage as standard?
I.e. With no extra sensors

Thanks
Jul 10, 2016, 04:41 PM
Yes.
Jul 11, 2016, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Yes.
The AR636 and AR6335 as well?
I am looking for one to fit a DLG
Jul 11, 2016, 02:35 AM
BMFA 190658