Jan 04, 2020, 02:13 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Thanks for the very nice compliment!

Joel
You bet, and likewise thanks for all the great UMXR advice over the years!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 04, 2020, 09:45 AM
First flight of the New Year 2020. Danato

FIRST FLIGHT 2020 1 (2 min 22 sec)
Last edited by mcledan; Jan 06, 2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: no interest.
Jan 04, 2020, 08:24 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Here is question for electronics guys. The rudder servo has a very small motor running it. That little motor has a very small gear on the front of it. On mine if the little gear moves forward , like on a landing or hand catch, just even 1mm it will cut off that servo. If I push it back it works fine. That little gear just barley moves back and forth, but its enough to shut off the motor. Any ideas what could cause this? If I need to change that motor does that whole unit have to come out? I have a few parts planes. TIA
Jan 05, 2020, 01:34 AM
Slow is the go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon 2
Here is question for electronics guys. The rudder servo has a very small motor running it. That little motor has a very small gear on the front of it. On mine if the little gear moves forward , like on a landing or hand catch, just even 1mm it will cut off that servo. If I push it back it works fine. That little gear just barley moves back and forth, but its enough to shut off the motor. Any ideas what could cause this? If I need to change that motor does that whole unit have to come out? I have a few parts planes. TIA
Check for grit/dirt in the teeth of the gears and clean the servo
with a product like deoxit, see link below. I'm sure you could buy
this closer to home, musicians use it for cleaning the pick ups on
their electric instruments. Perfect for cleaning little liner servos.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/2703440800...BoCTx4QAvD_BwE
Jan 05, 2020, 08:56 AM
Ethan RC
Quote:
You can also try putting a drop sowing machine oil. Don't use any other type of oil. You must use sowing machine oil.
Jan 05, 2020, 05:18 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
This plane is like new . No dirt. I can just flick the nose cone with my finger and it moves the gear forward and it shuts off. If I just touch the gear it moves it back and it work fine again. So basically . It flies fine till it lands. That is all it takes to make that gear slide forward. I mean like 1/2 a millimeter. I took another parts plane apart and there are screws under the whole brick, that can be removed to replace the little motor. I hate to have to tear the plane apart like that as it requires very fine soldering to replace the motor. I will try the sowing machine oil before I go any further. I also tried mechanically adjusting the rudder by squeezing the control rod near the rudder till it was out of line, and then sub trim it back in line . That didn't help either.
Last edited by Dragon 2; Jan 05, 2020 at 05:31 PM.
Jan 06, 2020, 02:23 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Dragon 2; Jan 09, 2020 at 11:51 PM.
Jan 14, 2020, 01:39 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
New problem on different plane. When I plug in the battery the motor comes on full .Doesn't matter if rx is on or not. I have looked at all the wires and see no shorts.
Jan 18, 2020, 11:41 PM
Has anyone done a scratch build with the UM Radian electronics?
Jan 29, 2020, 08:57 PM
San Diego Wingmasters
Flew the maiden flight with the new to me UMRadian. 3 minute motor run, 16 minutes flight time. Flew two more flights this morning, 4 minute motor run, 25 minute flight & 3 minute motor run, 18 minute flight. Have been flying 2 meter Radians for the past couple of years, but haven't flown in about six months. Fun little bird to fly while on vacation.
Jan 30, 2020, 10:57 AM
Crazy Canuck
Jan 30, 2020, 11:19 AM
Crazy Canuck
Quote:
New problem on different plane. When I plug in the battery the motor comes on full .Doesn't matter if rx is on or not. I have looked at all the wires and see no shorts.
Maybe the plug from the motor to the Rx is plugged in wrong? Was the prop turning the right way, just a idea there
Jan 30, 2020, 03:43 PM
KnowWhatIMean
When there is a micro board on these, for example the champ or sports cub the three pins, white/black of the two correct ones hte motor will come on full, or reverse. so correctly plug it in and if you need a magnifyer, use one, never know. what a simple mistake can do?
Mar 09, 2020, 12:21 AM

UMX Radian wing mod

We have been modifying the UMX Radian for gym flying. Fixed flaps allow slower speeds and decreased turning radius. Landing gear skids allow taxi and touch and go operations. A two panel wing mod is being tested for increased strength and durability. See blog fore details
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...51&postcount=1
Mar 21, 2020, 10:27 AM
aka: Dances with Buzzards

NIB Disappointment - Thanks for the Help

Just picked up a UMX Radian yesterday. Having been a competitive sailplane pilot in the past(15+ years ago) I had high hopes for this plane. The first flight (in marginal conditions) left me very unsatisfied performance wise. I've been beating up this thread looking for solutions and figured out my decalage was WAY off - guessing on the order of 5 degrees positive. Guess I got spoiled by the flying stabs on my 2M & Open class ships.

So far, I've changed that by simply bending the foam fuse. I'm not real happy with that solution but it doesn't appear the stab can really be adjusted by itself. There's an alignment ridge on the fuse that won't allow any change. If anyone has a picture of what they did to alter the decalage I'd appreciate it. The second flight (again, marginal conditions) seemed to improve the power-off flight characteristics. Hoping to get things set up like I see others have with respect to power on/off trimming and gliding.

I would hate to think what a totally new pilot would encounter - especially if they didn't have access to this resource of information on RC Groups. I've missed thermaling and I look forward to getting back into it on a smaller basis.

Quick Reply