Apr 10, 2014, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Yup. Nearly all modern full-featured transmitters have that ability. Many allow you to set up custom timers that can be slaved to any switch or stick position (even my 'vintage' mid-90s Futaba 8UAF backup rig has two fully programmable count-up/count-down flight-timers & an aggregate count-up timer for each plane, along with a count-up timer that monitors total time on the tx).

Did you see my last post? I described the dual-timer setup that I use on my powered sailplanes.Joel
Doh! I saw it, but reading and comprehending are two distinct items! Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2014, 11:48 AM
FastEddie123
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Eddie,

I've only flown this bird twice so far (the maiden in a really stiff breeze, and then a 1-2 minute flight at dusk to check the CG), so I have no idea what settings I'll end up using for the two timers. The maiden was pretty much all-motor, but mostly at just 20-35% throttle, with a few WOT climbs. Need some calmer conditions to figure that stuff out.

Joel
ok thanks - pretty windy today... I crashed my 60" Eli2 2 days ago, was messing around with different cg's, wing incidence , etc.. now needs a new spinner and prop was too windy and cg to far back - pulled an unintentional loop 10 ft off the ground .. I'll try to hold off on the little guy till things calm down - lesson learned.. I plan to keep it close and when I sense motor loosing power get down asap.. ( and check my battery for ma charge )- maybe a bench test tonight till motor pulses , and then how long till servos start to fade .. if I can't fly. -- if I puff a batt no big deal there cheap. e
Apr 10, 2014, 12:12 PM

power

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
Question on this one - in that first cycle, did you use any throttle after you got to the top of the run and the time you reapplied throttle near the ground? Just trying to get a feel for glide time in that vid.
Don't recall adding power after the top run but did when I got lower. Wind was coming up quite a bit and was getting bucked around but still very controllable.

Stringfly <>++++
Apr 10, 2014, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1
I don't understand the complaints about the screws. If you use a magnetic screwdriver it takes less than 30 seconds to assemble/disassemble. You might spend more time making the mods than you'll ever spend just doing it the way it was designed.
Yep, rubbed my little screwdriver vigorously against a strong magnet and it picks those little screws right up and puts them in the hole, no problem. It helps to align the screw holes if you hold it up to a strong light, after that, piece of cake.
Apr 10, 2014, 12:49 PM
Almost lost the baby Radian when it nearly blended in with the cloud background, scared me a little bit, enough to dress her in Navy blue.
Solved that problem. Using a Krylon spray can of Navy blue I swept back and forth with it keeping at least a foot away from the wing. Two or three passes than let it dry for about 15 minutes, then back again with another 2 or 3 passes until the color looked even across the wing span. I did this to my big Radian about 2 yrs ago and it really helps to maintain a good visual right down to almost a speck. I was concerned about sliding the wing back in the fuse as it might scrape some paint off when it gets fairly tight near the midsection. So I cut a piece of wax paper with the same profile as the wing center section and laid it on the wing and slid it right on through with no problems. I'm thinking it might have been OK without the wax paper but didn't want to chance screwing up the paint job. You can see in the picture how I store my batteries and chargers.
Apr 10, 2014, 12:52 PM
Would like to try magnets in the body and on the wing but for now I just carved out a place for a screwdriver in the foam that covers the wing.
Apr 10, 2014, 01:27 PM
Reading the manual the other day and noticed on page 9 they say to fully charge the battery before storing. This seems a little odd to me on lipo storage.
Apr 10, 2014, 01:37 PM
Foam flogger
Why not just tape the wing in place? Not like it's going to come free. Would weigh a lot less than magnets.
Apr 10, 2014, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belem
Why not just tape the wing in place? Not like it's going to come free. Would weigh a lot less than magnets.
Going to look for really small magnets I don't think they will weigh much. I should be able to use the box and get into the air faster without worrying about the screws
Apr 10, 2014, 02:51 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom
LVC will cut power to the motor and still allow you to control your plane. I have been flying mine for over 20 minutes with no problems. I run the motor for less than 30 seconds bursts then glide. When I find thermals I can ride them for several minutes.

I notice that the climb out power from the motor is noticeably less as the battery runs down. I haven't hit LVC yet nor have I had any pulsing.

I Dont have my regular charger with me this week so I don't know how much I am putting back in on recharge. The supplied USB charger is taking about 22 minutes to recharge. I don't know if you can calculate from that info.
I think the supplied charger is a 300mah charger. So, a 150mah battery would take 30 minutes to charge fully (assuming you were putting 150mah back in).

If it only takes 22 minutes to fully charge, 22/30 = about 73%. So, you're putting 73% of 150mah back in, or about 110 mah. That's probably about perfect.
Apr 10, 2014, 03:11 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom
........I Dont have my regular charger with me this week so I don't know how much I am putting back in on recharge. The supplied USB charger is taking about 22 minutes to recharge. I don't know if you can calculate from that info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewC
I think the supplied charger is a 300mah charger. So, a 150mah battery would take 30 minutes to charge fully (assuming you were putting 150mah back in).

If it only takes 22 minutes to fully charge, 22/30 = about 73%. So, you're putting 73% of 150mah back in, or about 110 mah. That's probably about perfect.
That doesn't work because all LiPo chargers use both constant-current & constant-voltage charge algorithms. They all start out in CC mode. When voltage reaches 4.20V/cell, they switch to CV mode & float the current to maintain 4.20V/cell. When charge current diminishes to approximately 5-20% of the initial CC value, the charge is terminated. But there is no set algorithm for the CV portion of the charge cycle. It varies considerably between manufacturers, and sometimes even between models. (Some chargers charge LiPos more fully than others, and the very last part of the CV phase takes the longest of all.) Plus, the battery's internal resistance (and therefore health) is the sole factor that determines how quickly the voltage reaches 4.20V/cell at a given constant charge current, and also how much current is needed to maintain 4.20V/cell during the CV phase. Additionally, the CV portion often takes the longest, and it also has the most variables. Therefore, it is not possible to accurately calculate discharge-depth from initial charge current & charge-time alone. If you have recently characterized the particular battery & charger in question (using actual charge data & charge time) you may be able to get a rough idea (on a good day), but that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyme4me
Reading the manual the other day and noticed on page 9 they say to fully charge the battery before storing. This seems a little odd to me on lipo storage.
That's just for those who don't have a hobby-grade charger. To maximize the cycle-life of any LiPo that will be stored for weeks or months, use the storage-charge function on your hobby-grade charger to automatically charge or discharge them to the optimum storage voltage for LiPos, which is ~3.8V/cell.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 10, 2014 at 03:55 PM.
Apr 10, 2014, 03:32 PM
Looking at the canopy magnets on my ASK21 I don't think 8 of them are going to hurt the performance of this little plane. They can't weigh much.
Apr 10, 2014, 04:20 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Sorry to add another flight report.... Skip if you are tired of them by now.

But this is coming from a "non-believer". I fly mostly larger models (see my Blog Link at bottom of this post). All in the last 2 months, I bought a Stevens Aero Sweet Dream as an intro to Micro models, then I bought a Micro Telemaster on a whim at a swap meet,.... Then I saw the UMX Radian. It was just too cute to ignore. I was not expecting anything wonderful. I maidened it on a slightly breezy afternoon,... it was nice. I liked it. But this morning I took it out in zero wind. It was wonderful on both powered flight and glide,... steady as a rock, no thermals however. I waited for the sun to start heating things up and this little bird showed what it is capable of . OMG, it shows every little puff of lift equal to , or better than a HLG. I found several plane sucking thermals. It went up fast. It shows, and takes advantage of very small puffs of lift that I would normally fly right through and not even know were there. I really like this little model. Heck, I'm liking these small models more than I expected. More, more, more fun micros please!

The only thing I found with mine is that the prop folds fine, but every several,..... no, I'll say numerous times, the prop will not "unfold" when power is added. Repeated stabs at the throttle will unfold it eventually. The blades swing very easily. It's almost like it gets hung up on the fuselage sides. That will give me something to think and work on. Oh, if I get some spare time. I think I'll go to th trouble of inserting magnets to hold the wing. I think that's a great idea.
I'm really liking these micros. They are loads of fun. And The Micro Radian is way more than I expected.
Apr 10, 2014, 04:26 PM
RCG Admin
I flew mine in the LMR at SEFF Today. Flew a 12:03 with spot landing. 3 seconds over trying to get the landing. Had no trouble staying up, just a bit hard to see. This thing thermals very well.
Apr 10, 2014, 04:30 PM
I do use storage on all mine and some are 2 years old now. Treat all lipos right and you will get good service. I was also looking at some of my magnets which are 5.40mmx4.50mm grade 50, and 4 of them weigh 3 grams. Someone will probably come up with a way to do it but I prefer not to open mine up for now.

Quick Reply