Jan 30, 2014, 02:08 AM
I was just starting a build of a slightly bigger glider (AS3X powered, 1m balsa with 2S pylon motor), but will pick one of these up too just for kicks.

Reminds me a lot of this pic from the scratchbuilt forum:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2037464
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2014, 02:51 AM
Need less hobbies, more toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1
Early May

Where did you get that info? Thanks
Jan 30, 2014, 06:13 AM
I'd like to know when the prop/spinner will be available, and will it be for a 1 MM prop shaft or larger. For scratch-building.

Jim R.
Jan 30, 2014, 07:36 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigas
Where did you get that info? Thanks
When you want to see the release date, you go to the E-flite website instead of Horizon Hobby. They are getting good with release date, so this one look awesome for this coming summer!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFLU2980
Jan 30, 2014, 08:02 AM
Plastic Buddha
I too wish they had done this in brushless.

Is it made of the ''Z'' foam? I've read all posts but have missed if this was mentioned.

Looks great in any case!
Jan 30, 2014, 08:14 AM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
I'm sure the brushless version will come out eventually.

I'm hoping it'll be something like the Allusive, but for 2s BL. Bit Larger than the UMX Radian, more acrobatic, yet in the glider family.

Edit: UMX Radian Pro, maybe? The family would be complete!
Last edited by KC; Jan 30, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
Jan 30, 2014, 08:18 AM

E-Flite Ultra Micro Radian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
When you want to see the release date, you go to the E-flite website instead of Horizon Hobby. They are getting good with release date, so this one look awesome for this coming summer!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodId=EFLU2980

Thanks for the info. That release date is terrible 😒 as it totally misses the indoor flying season. Why wait almost half a year to release it?

Another bummer I just noticed it won't fit in the box without disassembly. Horizon/UMX micros are supposed to be able to use the box as a travel case. Looks like they may be abandoning that to save a buck or two.

EDIT: I just noticed in the product video (at the end during the credits) the wing is a single piece and slips in so assembly might not be that bad. Still have to deal with screws though which I am not thrilled about.
Last edited by DaddyBigas; Feb 01, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
Jan 30, 2014, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich
Does it go back in a travel box like the other micro planes?
Maybe not the standard briefcase box but it has something. This is from the HH page.

Removable Wing

With the removal of just two screws the fuselage and wing can be separated for easy transport and storage within the custom packaging provided.
Jan 30, 2014, 09:05 AM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Thanks for the info. That release date is terrible 😒 as it totally misses the indoor flying season. Why wait almost half a year to release it?

Another bummer I just noticed it won't fit in the box without disassembly. Horizon/UMX micros are supposed to be able to use the box as a travel case. Looks like they may be abandoning that to save a buck or two. Not a good sign new owners!

May cancel my preorder. I don't want to have to disassemble.
Did you watch the vid? It takes about 30 seconds a 2 screws to attach the wing. It will be a smaller box that is easier to travel with.

Half a year? It's almost February and this comes out in May. That's about 3-4 months. As for indoor flying, it's a glider. It will be a lot more fun sloping and thermal hunting outdoors motor off instead of motoring around a gym avoiding midairs and basketball goals.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Jan 30, 2014, 09:15 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
I've just seen this on Horizon Hobby's website.

Looks good! It's what we've been asking for on the UMX ASK-21 thread
UMX Radian

Tony
Thomas B on here has a UMX ASK-21, he kitted it out with two outboard motors I think from the champ and it really brings the ASK to life.
Jan 30, 2014, 09:16 AM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
I talked to a Horizon distributor yesterday and he says he will have them on Apr 24.
Jan 30, 2014, 09:18 AM
AIRBORNE
Quote:

Another bummer I just noticed it won't fit in the box without disassembly. Horizon/UMX micros are supposed to be able to use the box as a travel case.

I agree with that, it's a perk to be able to use the box as a travel case. Beats hangar rash! It does look like it only takes a second to put the wing on but that's a slight inconvenience. If the performance is great, that won't matter in the end.
Jan 30, 2014, 09:23 AM
I think they may have just hit the mark on this one. Sure a 2s brushless would be nice, but would probably put it in the $150 price range. For the street price, AUW, and given the reasonable reliability of the brushed offerings from Parkzone/Eflite this should be a great backyard small field flyer.
Jan 30, 2014, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
Did you watch the vid? It takes about 30 seconds a 2 screws to attach the wing. It will be a smaller box that is easier to travel with.

Half a year? It's almost February and this comes out in May. That's about 3-4 months. As for indoor flying, it's a glider. It will be a lot more fun sloping and thermal hunting outdoors motor off instead of motoring around a gym avoiding midairs and basketball goals.
Ah heck, I am just sore because I want it NOW! This little guy is something I have wanted for a while now. I am not too confident in HH deadlines. Most of what I try to buy lately is out of stock. Just yesterday when I was preordering the UMX Radian I tried to add another plane to get to free shipping level. All 3 planes I tried to add were out of stock (their inventory is a sea of out of stock!). And some of the parts I wanted were out of stock. I hope the new owners address the inventory issues. They are losing sales, and the local hobby shops are pi$$ed...and hurting.

Seriously though, taking the wings off is a bummer. When you take 10 micros with you somewhere it sucks to have assemble and disassemble. And my experience is delicate micros don't do too well with lots of assemble/disassembly. Things get stripped and loose. Perhaps this will be an exception. I guess we will find out when it arrives. I will, of course, not really cancel my preorder...LOL. But I do hope HH notices that their dedicated micro fans really REALLY rely on using the boxes as cases. Don't save a buck on the boxes, just change a few bucks more and keep the boxes. They are an important part of the ultra micro experience.
Jan 30, 2014, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreet
...given the reasonable reliability of the brushed offerings from Parkzone/Eflite this should be a great backyard small field flyer.
I think they hit the mark too, I was probably one of the first people to preorder. But I can tell you not all of their brushed offerings are reliable. The Nano QX, which I LOVE and have purchased several, goes through motors like candy. And the AS3Xtra is the only HH micro purchase I have ever truly regretted.

That said, I don't think this one needs brushless since the motor is just to get to altitude for gliding. But I am starting to limit my purchases of other micros if they are brushed. I usually buy them but I do think twice before doing so. I don't hesitate with brushless.

Quick Reply