Jan 29, 2014, 01:39 PM
From a Different Planet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Sweet!!

One thing I've noticed:
What's with the way the prop is mounted to the spinner? They don't seem to be directly opposite each other...
Most folding props for sailplanes are not directly opposite, has something to do with being more efficient.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2014, 01:47 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Sweet!!

One thing I've noticed:
What's with the way the prop is mounted to the spinner? They don't seem to be directly opposite each other...
Perhaps to get the blades to fold tighter against the nose?
Jan 29, 2014, 01:58 PM
BMFA 190658
Hmm...
Possibly.

My Cularis, Easyglider Electric and Radian Pro all had 'normal' opposed spinners.

Tony
Jan 29, 2014, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
Perhaps to get the blades to fold tighter against the nose?
That is exactly why the hub is angled the way it is. If you look at the propeller blade from a parkflyer Radian/Radian Pro, you will notice the root of the blade has a "hook" on it. By offsetting the hub the blades can fold against the fuselage better without having the hook on the root.

You can see the difference in the shots of the replacement blades for the parkflyer Radian against the UMX Radian.

Matt Andren
E-Flite/Parkzone/Hobbyzone
Horizon Hobby
Jan 29, 2014, 02:24 PM
Wishing I was at Torrey Pines
Matt, I hope you'll have one of these at SEFF! I'll have to try it out, ya know?
Jan 29, 2014, 02:31 PM
Matt,

Can you tell us how it thermals? Because of its smaller size, I don't expect it to be as good as its larger brother, but what might we expect its capabilities to be?

Will it only thermal well in places like Arizona with strong lift all the time, or can it catch the medium or light lift thermals that many of us have to work most of the time?

Tom
Jan 29, 2014, 03:35 PM
I'd rather be flying!
I'm also very curious about its ability to catch light lift. Minnesota isn't known for its great slope sites. The few halfway decent (for flat country) spots near here are an hour or more away, and they're privately owned. I thermal the RP at our club field, but it's too big for my yard, and it's too big to take along on trips or bring to work. I'd love something small enough to fly in the yard or toss in the back seat that can stay aloft in light-to-moderate lift. Of course, I don't expect anything this small to stay aloft on the farts of field-mice, but the ability to stay up in something less than an Arizona hat-sucker would be nice. We don't get many of those around here. When they do happen, it's usually during work hours.

Joel
Latest blog entry: RealFlight 9
Jan 29, 2014, 03:44 PM
BMFA 190658
This thing is lighter than the ASK-21 and also has a lot more wing area.
I'm pretty sure it'll go up like a paper bag
Jan 29, 2014, 03:45 PM
Well according to this guy it thermals well, will see. The thing is I have to own this one, to go with my other 2 Radians, plus it is small enough for a nice display model.

Nuremberg 2014 Product Preview - E-flite UMX™ Radian® BNF (4 min 8 sec)
Jan 29, 2014, 03:51 PM
BMFA 190658
I want one too. Exactly the same reasons!!
Jan 29, 2014, 04:14 PM
AIRBORNE
Display model?! That's exactly why I bought the UMX Ask on clearance :P
Jan 29, 2014, 04:23 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
I used to thermal my micro champ all the time, so this UMX radian with its larger wing and less drag should thermal REALLY well. I want one BAD!! Looks like a hoot!!
How bout MICRO ALES comps with this ?? 15sec motor run 5min task 2m landing circle??
Could be done almost anywhere

Jerry in Chico

I'm preordering today ;-)
Jan 29, 2014, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck
Well according to this guy it thermals well, will see. The thing is I have to own this one, to go with my other 2 Radians, plus it is small enough for a nice display model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc6xmRQ2NQA
That guy is me!

I have a feeling many of you will be pleasantly surprised at its glide ratio and ability to thermal and work lift. I have flown the plane on light lift thermal days and it indicates lift well and goes up nice. The truth is I would be more worried about the thermal being too strong! Especially in Arizona where you can thermal a brick (i'm originally from New Mexico so I know about those killer southwest thermals). I have even worked very light slope lift off the building here at Horizon.

I know many have thermaled the Champ and this has a better glide ratio and more wing area.

Hope that helps.

Matt Andren
E-Flite/Parkzone/Hobbyzone
Horizon Hobby
Last edited by Mattfly; Jan 29, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Jan 29, 2014, 04:57 PM
BMFA 190658
I've had many a thermal flight with my UM mosquito!
I've yet to take my UMX Yak to the park but I bet that thermals better than the ASK-21

I'm deffo preordering one of these, I'm damn sure it will be going up like a homesick angel!!

Tony
Jan 29, 2014, 05:01 PM
BMFA 190658
@Matt

I'm still thinking of removing the prop and having a "clean" spinner for slope work, but I'd also like to send this up the ASK-21s Hi-Start. Any chance of indicating a good spot to put a hook?

Tony

Quick Reply