Jan 29, 2014, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKGT
After watching that video again, it sure seems like a little bit of a challenge to fly. I guess that's to be expected with any UMX plane... would have liked to see ailerons on this little guy.
You might be surprised on this one. It is actually very easy to fly. I would say as easy as a Champ. It has alot of wing area and can fly very slow. It feels just like the large parkflyer Radian, just more responsive.

The AS3X system on the UMX Radian works in both roll and yaw. In dead calm conditions the only difference I noticed during development with the system on or off is the plane would level out faster in roll with the system on and tended to fly a straighter line.

Outdoors is where the system shines. As you can see in the video the plane will still get bounced by gusts, but not as much as it would have with the system off. The plane will still indicate thermals by lifting the wing if you fly through the edge or lift the tail if you fly into the center of a thermal.

This plane is very versatile in that you can cruise around under power, do mild aerobatics (it will fly inverted surprisingly well) or soar around.

I am really happy with the way this plane turned out and is a plane I plan on having with me where ever I go since there is so much you can do with it.

Matt Andren
E-Flite/Parkzone/Hobbyzone
Horizon Hobby
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2014, 12:25 PM
Sounds perfect!
Jan 29, 2014, 12:39 PM
Soar high, huck low
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly
You might be surprised on this one. It is actually very easy to fly. I would say as easy as a Champ. It has alot of wing area and can fly very slow. It feels just like the large parkflyer Radian, just more responsive.

The AS3X system on the UMX Radian works in both roll and yaw. In dead calm conditions the only difference I noticed during development with the system on or off is the plane would level out faster in roll with the system on and tended to fly a straighter line.

Outdoors is where the system shines. As you can see in the video the plane will still get bounced by gusts, but not as much as it would have with the system off. The plane will still indicate thermals by lifting the wing if you fly through the edge or lift the tail if you fly into the center of a thermal.

This plane is very versatile in that you can cruise around under power, do mild aerobatics (it will fly inverted surprisingly well) or soar around.

I am really happy with the way this plane turned out and is a plane I plan on having with me where ever I go since there is so much you can do with it.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Thank you for listening to your customers! We have wanted this for a long time. I am preordering today!
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Jan 29, 2014, 12:51 PM

Looking forward to it.

I've been looking for something like this for a while now and I"m looking forward to read some reviews from members on their findings.
Jan 29, 2014, 12:54 PM
This one goes on the list! So much cool stuff coming!
Jan 29, 2014, 01:09 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
This thing is too cute! HH is going to sell a boat load of these.

I hope there are aileron/brushless versions in the works.

Here is the manual.
Jan 29, 2014, 01:12 PM
Quote:

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
How is the soaring performance? I hope it is better than the ASK-21 as the scale wings on that made it sink faster than the cub that tows it
Jan 29, 2014, 01:14 PM
AIRBORNE
Quote:

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
That's great to hear! I'm a huge fan of the A3SX and have it in several of my planes. Because of it, the Carbon Z cub and Carbon Cub SS fly amazing. I appreciate the feedback
Jan 29, 2014, 01:23 PM
I review RC Products
This is on my list provided there are not reports of manufacturing failures like many of the other recent releases.

GB
Jan 29, 2014, 01:24 PM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4racer
How is the soaring performance? I hope it is better than the ASK-21 as the scale wings on that made it sink faster than the cub that tows it
I bet it's pretty good!
It has more wing area and less weight than the 21

Anyone know the price () the only sites I've seen it on so far have not mentioned a price...
Jan 29, 2014, 01:30 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Could make a nice slow fpv ship
Jan 29, 2014, 01:32 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Tony,

I'm not sure what $89.99 USD works out to be for you guys.

This looks interesting. If it thermals well, I'll probably pick one up for the backyard. I was a bit disappointed to see that it's powered by the same old pager motor that's been used for years in the other 1s UMs. With the E-flite UMX designation, I was hoping to see a cute little outrunner up front. However.....if it thermals well, the motor shouldn't see much use or abuse.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 29, 2014 at 01:41 PM.
Jan 29, 2014, 01:34 PM
Awesome - a must have for sure....
Jan 29, 2014, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
Awesome - a must have for sure....
agreed for sure
Jan 29, 2014, 01:36 PM
BMFA 190658
Sweet!!

One thing I've noticed:
What's with the way the prop is mounted to the spinner? They don't seem to be directly opposite each other...

Quick Reply