Jul 09, 2015, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulluptoga View Post
If there's a plane out there in this category that flies better I'd like to know about it.
If you find one this size, that even flies as good, right out of the box, with no mods necc, let us know.
IMO, better ain't gonna happen.

I have 56 flyable RC planes right now (everything form micros to a 110 inch Cub) & have probably flown around 80 different RC planes over the last 4 years.
I have been flying the Artizan over 10 months now, with hundreds of flights on it & it's still my favorite flyer (I never buy spares, but i do have a spare Artizan )
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2015, 09:03 AM
Mine has been out of commission now for over a month and it's killing me not to be able to take it to the field! I nosed it in, relatively gently in late May. The foam was easy enough to glue together - just a few cracks here and there. But then I noticed that the spinner was off balance. I thought maybe it was just a spinner issue, but after running up the motor without the spinner, it looked like the prop shaft might be ever-so-slightly bent. I didn't want to chance it, but also didn't want to spend $45 to replace the stock motor with another stock motor.
Well, after a lot of research I thought I had found a pretty good replacement. A little more power in roughly the same size factor. I tried mounting it last night though.
Problems:
A) it's just a bit too short and I don't have proper length screws to use the stand offs I bought in anticipation of that.
B) the new motor needs a 45amp ESC which is much too big for the space where the stock 30 amp ESC goes. Tried a couple of alternative locations, but nothing worked out.

So now I'm faced with paying more than I would like for a fairly low quality (stock) motor so I can get this wonderful plane flying again. *sigh*
As a side gripe, this is the second plane on which I've tried to replace the stock motor only to find that the combination of elements that one must account for seems to make it nearly impossible to do with an "after-market" motor. Between length, diameter, mounting screw spacing (2 sets, 1 for motor-to-mounting plate and 1 for plate-to-airplane), ESC requirement, etc...I can't win!
This might also be the first situation where I can understand why anyone would by a spare airplane. I just don't have that kind of cash, but this plane is good enough that it's a serious consideration, especially since PZ has already discontinued it. Given what an amazing flier this is, it seems a shame that it would only be on the market for a year before they dropped it for other things.
Jul 10, 2015, 12:01 PM
HOBBY ZONE has plane instock.........
Jul 10, 2015, 12:23 PM

Shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardo View Post
Mine has been out of commission now for over a month and it's killing me not to be able to take it to the field! I nosed it in, relatively gently in late May. The foam was easy enough to glue together - just a few cracks here and there. But then I noticed that the spinner was off balance. I thought maybe it was just a spinner issue, but after running up the motor without the spinner, it looked like the prop shaft might be ever-so-slightly bent. I didn't want to chance it, but also didn't want to spend $45 to replace the stock motor with another stock motor.
Well, after a lot of research I thought I had found a pretty good replacement. A little more power in roughly the same size factor. I tried mounting it last night though.
Problems:
A) it's just a bit too short and I don't have proper length screws to use the stand offs I bought in anticipation of that.
B) the new motor needs a 45amp ESC which is much too big for the space where the stock 30 amp ESC goes. Tried a couple of alternative locations, but nothing worked out.

So now I'm faced with paying more than I would like for a fairly low quality (stock) motor so I can get this wonderful plane flying again. *sigh*
As a side gripe, this is the second plane on which I've tried to replace the stock motor only to find that the combination of elements that one must account for seems to make it nearly impossible to do with an "after-market" motor. Between length, diameter, mounting screw spacing (2 sets, 1 for motor-to-mounting plate and 1 for plate-to-airplane), ESC requirement, etc...I can't win!
This might also be the first situation where I can understand why anyone would by a spare airplane. I just don't have that kind of cash, but this plane is good enough that it's a serious consideration, especially since PZ has already discontinued it. Given what an amazing flier this is, it seems a shame that it would only be on the market for a year before they dropped it for other things.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/replacem...7215-eflm72151

They have the shaft 7.00

Also pt # pkz4418
Last edited by cmwhite; Jul 10, 2015 at 01:02 PM.
Jul 11, 2015, 09:34 AM

Receiver mounting

Can someone please tell me what is used to secure the 635 receiver to the mounting spot on the RTF version? Silicon perhaps?
Jul 11, 2015, 09:43 AM
Look at page 8

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...-Manual_EN.pdf
Jul 11, 2015, 01:13 PM
Counting Cubs
Looks like I got my ArtiZan just in time !

It's still available where I bought it but the price was raised, and it seems it's no longer eligible for free shipping. I was lucky

Anyway - field day tomorrow and the Sport Cub will tag along.
Jul 11, 2015, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoOhki1701 View Post
Looks like I got my ArtiZan just in time !

It's still available where I bought it but the price was raised, and it seems it's no longer eligible for free shipping. I was lucky

Anyway - field day tomorrow and the Sport Cub will tag along.

Flying those 2 planes on the same day = A great day of flying.
Jul 12, 2015, 06:51 AM
Counting Cubs
Great morning of flying indeed (had to be home at noon) I had the field to myself at first then other regulars arrived and we initiated a fun STOL landing contest - though the contender was the better suited Sport Cub and not the ArtiZan. The Cub lost... Even with the best STOL platform you can't quite compete with belly landers !

Of particular interest - I tried the ArtiZan with a 3S 1400mAh LiPo installed as far as I could in the nose. it felt a little squirrely in flight, obviously a bit tail heavy compared to my regular 2200mAh, but pretty much manageable, and much lighter obviously. I landed after about six minutes of mixed throttle use and the battery was still at 3,8V/cell.
Jul 15, 2015, 06:30 PM

New Maiden

I am so happy right now. I had an ArtiZan PNP which I installed a 636 receiver into. The ArtiZan was suggested to me by a LHS here based on my heli and Cub abilities. It soon became apparent that the ArtiZan was beyond my fixed wing skill level. Between my son and myself we crashed multiple times. I did have a handful of successful flights. We went through two fuselages and were ready to give up. Based on the ArtiZan owners general love for the plane I bought another PNP on sale at a great price. I then installed a safe receiver from an Apprentice on my Artizan.

Last night I maidened the new “safe ArtiZan” in beginner mode. I was stunned how easy it was to fly but resisted the temptation to immediately jump to intermediate or advanced. I did multiple take offs and landings and did everything I could to get the plane out of shape. There was a 10mph wind but it was no issue. I really don’t see how anyone could crash this in beginner mode. I’m confident that I will soon move to intermediate then advanced with little or no damage. I could have saved plenty of aggravation if I would have started with this receiver.

Best of all I still have peace of mind that when I do switch to advanced (safe off and full flight envelope) there is still a panic button which will level the aircraft should I screw up.
Jul 15, 2015, 09:42 PM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Congrats! I think the ArtiZan is a lot of fun with the SAFE receiver installed!
Jul 16, 2015, 06:40 PM
Oh man. Hit a light pole, again, at a height of about 20 metres. This time it was at full throttle, going for it downwind! Ha. It exploded with a loud clanging noise and the wreckage fluttered down into the top of a small tree. I had to laugh at my stupidity, again. Too bad no video!

Anyway, it was in three pieces - nose, wings and tail. Esc, prop destroyed but I think all else salvageable, for parts anyway. Battery still strapped and velcroed into battery holder (which was gorilla glued in place) so looks like that was a success anyway! I didn't need to be so wary of negative G moves it seems.

Already have a new BNF on the way. PNP was only 10 bucks less, so the BNF seems like the better deal to me. I considered ordering something else, but for the money the ArtiZan seemed like the best deal, and I reckon it's got a lot left to teach me. I feel like I got my money's worth as I flew it a lot and progressed my flying skills a lot too.

Great plane, mediocre pilot!
Jul 17, 2015, 12:21 AM
Counting Cubs
The ArtiZan doesn't fear negative G's. I've been pulling climbing or diving inverted loops with it since the maiden flight... Performs them with ease. Also my battery is just holding in place with the stock strap, I didn't even add velcro to the tray. It seems to be a perfect fit, no need to shoehorn it in and doesn't want to move at all.

I think you've made the right choice in replacing the ArtiZan too!
Jul 17, 2015, 11:03 AM
I do random gravity checks
Flew it on Wednesday in 15-25 mph winds, definitely made the AS3X show its true ability to keep this plane locked in. Knife edges were fun to watch the ailerons and elevator making constant corrections due to the wind. Such a good plane, still hard to described how good it is. I also have the Carbon Z Yak none AS3X version which is capable of more and has a better wow factor, but when I want a fun flight with no stress I go for the Artizan.

If you're thinking of getting one, do it now before they're gone. Being more of a 3D guy this is a great acrobatic trainer or warm up plane.
Jul 20, 2015, 04:31 PM
a random dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by energeezer View Post
I am so happy right now. I had an ArtiZan PNP which I installed a 636 receiver into. The ArtiZan was suggested to me by a LHS here based on my heli and Cub abilities. It soon became apparent that the ArtiZan was beyond my fixed wing skill level. Between my son and myself we crashed multiple times. I did have a handful of successful flights. We went through two fuselages and were ready to give up. Based on the ArtiZan owners general love for the plane I bought another PNP on sale at a great price. I then installed a safe receiver from an Apprentice on my Artizan.

Last night I maidened the new “safe ArtiZan” in beginner mode. I was stunned how easy it was to fly but resisted the temptation to immediately jump to intermediate or advanced. I did multiple take offs and landings and did everything I could to get the plane out of shape. There was a 10mph wind but it was no issue. I really don’t see how anyone could crash this in beginner mode. I’m confident that I will soon move to intermediate then advanced with little or no damage. I could have saved plenty of aggravation if I would have started with this receiver.

Best of all I still have peace of mind that when I do switch to advanced (safe off and full flight envelope) there is still a panic button which will level the aircraft should I screw up.
energeezer, I too was using my Artizan w/ a safe receiver. It's a great way to go. I never used beginner or intermediate modes too much, but wanted it for the panic button and AS3X. Here's my advice to you. Before each flight look at the plane not the tx, and push the panic button. If you have voice alerts, you'll hear it. When you start in expert mode, if you're like me, you'll be very cautious and you won't need the panic button. PUSH IT ANYWAY. 1) you need to test that it works and 2) you need to reinforce in your muscle memory where it is and 3) reinforce in your brain that it is there. You'll get better and better, the ArtiZan taught me so much. You'll be able to 'save' the plane without it alot of the time. But there's nothing worse than having the panic and not using it because you forget and try to save the plane w/o it or your finger doesn't know where it is on the tx because it's been so long since you pushed it! Maybe this will never happen to you!

Have fun! It's a blast of a plane to fly!
sconnie

Quick Reply