This thread is privately moderated by Svede, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 29, 2014, 01:16 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Nessie

This is the latest of my efforts to create a high performance/ versatile FPV aircraft. For a long time I was flying a Windrider Queen Bee, I got side tracked with life and in the meantime decided I wanted a smaller, more transportable and easier launching replacement. This is what I came up with though not an exact replacement as it caries a GoPro 3 on a head tracking gimbal rather than having a fixed Rx100.

Having only done the LOS maiden without an OSD I don't have any hard performance data yet but will update numbers as I get them for anyone interested. AUW is 6.3lbs with one 5000mah 6s Zippy Compact battery with a wing area of approximately 5 sq/ft. There is obviously room for a LOT more battery. With nearly full span ailerons it is surprisingly aerobatic. While fast and agile it only has a 500 watt motor and a high pitch prop, so climbing performance is not unlimited and you really need to give it a hard throw on full power for launch.

I wanted to try a few ideas I haven't seen implemented yet with FPV aircraft (doesn't mean they haven't been done, I just hadn't come across them). The head tracking unit on the front of the aircraft is faired by the body of the plane and hopefully will achieve an overall reduction in drag as well as creating less aerodynamic stress on the gimbal and allow higher speeds without being problematic for the gimbal (jitter, trouble centering etc. on relatively small 9gm servos). Something else I wanted to implement was internal antennae. The UHF is embedded in the V-tail (while still allowing the V-tail to be taken off) and a 1.3ghz circular antenna such as a SPW can be carried internally. Secondary benefits to containing the Vtx antenna in the body include less drag, a reduction in weight as no counterbalance in the opposing wing is needed and simpler breakdown. There is very little force along the spar axis of the wing and tail, they are held on with a 5 inch piece of packing tape and this makes for extremely fast setup and breakdown.

It is made out of EPP with carbon wing spars and fiberglass tail spars (to minimize impact on the UHF). I can't remember what forum I found this gimbal on, but here is it's Shapeways page: http://www.shapeways.com/model/85125...s&materialId=6 .

That's all for the moment.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2014, 09:30 AM
wow, this is a design i haven't seen befor can we get some closeups of the prop and motor mount. also the cam mechanisms.
Jan 29, 2014, 11:14 AM
Looks gooood Svede!
Jan 29, 2014, 05:15 PM
Sweet looking plane dude.
Latest blog entry: 3D Printing Services
Jan 29, 2014, 11:49 PM
Thread OP
The outer spine of the gimbal is embedded in a slot in the nose and a hole drilled to pass the servo and camera wires through to the electronics inside. The GoPro 1 is there simply to help with balance during testing and laying out of components, the housing will be modified to accept the Hero3. As a means to keep the rear end as small as possible, the motor has been secured to a piece of plywood only barely larger than the diameter of the motor and the plywood then glued on to the tail with Goop. The bond is extremely strong, I hope I won't ever need to remove the motor during the service life of the plane.
Feb 03, 2014, 01:36 PM
2nd Looks gooood Svede!
Feb 03, 2014, 01:58 PM
Looks cools. In what field do you work?
Feb 06, 2014, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill
Looks cools. In what field do you work?
Nothing related to aircraft.
Feb 06, 2014, 01:15 PM
Drone X Labs Team Pilot
can you post pics of the inside
Feb 07, 2014, 01:55 AM
Thread OP
The inside...
Feb 07, 2014, 11:21 AM
Drone X Labs Team Pilot
nice
Nov 02, 2015, 08:08 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Svede,
how come no updates on that smooth fast plane?
Great video!
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!

Quick Reply