This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 28, 2014, 07:46 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

The scratchbuilt quad is a success!

Well, almost.

I soldered up the JST receptacle for the voltage monitoring - after having to remove the bottom plate to get to some solder pads - and I started in with zip ties on the ESCs.

Although I hadn't finished tying everything down, curiosity got the best of me.

APC now makes multirotor props, but the 10x4.5 units I bought came without the customary APC prop adapters...and the darn things were just a bit too large for the motor shafts. Fortunately, I had some adapters which were enclosed with my spare props for my Armattan CNC 258 quad. Success! I've just found out something reassuring in that regard; the hobby shop has a package of prop adapters for a whopping five bucks. I'm picking up a pack tomorrow!

After a quick double-check of the controls on the control board's LCD display and a sensor calibration, on went the props, in went a battery and out the door I went.

There's nothing quite like seeing something you've assembled from a myriad of parts actually rise from the ground. Nice and smooth, too. The controls are in need of some fine tuning, but the fact remains the thing actually flew and in control! Once everything is properly strapped down, I'll get some pictures.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 28, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2014, 09:06 PM
Looking forward to the pics
Jan 28, 2014, 09:34 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Thanks! I should have some tomorrow. It's not much more than a F450 Flame Wheel with a KK2 board, but man, it looks good with the Armattan control board mounting plate and acrylic window.

What I find amazing is the fact that all of these individually developed components work so well together.
Jan 29, 2014, 12:48 AM
yes we all love pics
Jan 29, 2014, 09:19 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogz85
yes we all love pics
Me too, believe me. I was going to get some today, but after a bit of research, I found out the 10" props are too much for those high-speed motors. An 8x4 is recommended. The hobby shop is getting the pusher props tomorrow. I slapped on my spare set of 7" props from the Armattan and I matched its program settings.

Flew pretty good with plenty of power, but it was very touchy at hover. Touchy in forward flight, too. I'll experiment with the P and I settings once I get the proper propellers.

Quick Reply