Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 11, 2004, 04:31 PM
Foam rules
I said the plastic model which I think looks way better.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2004, 05:40 PM
i had the motor and fan out of the edf 50 housing running it at maybe 1/4" for a few seconds at a time after oiling the bushings just to try maybe break it in a little.
i noticed that the motor with the heat sink on was just barely warm. thought this would be good as i plan to fly the fun jet slowly until i get some spare motors on hand.
then when i moved the throttle to off and the motor stopped it got much hotter, almost too hot to hold. i thought maybe the esc was letting enough voltage thru to put the motor under a load but not enough to cause it to turn.
after it cooled completely down i ran it at slow speed again then unplugged the battery. it still got very hot. i guess with the fan blowing across the heat sink the motor was staying fairly cool. but as soon as the fan stopped the stored heat made it much hotter.
maybe i need to get the plane up real high when i'm ready to quit then shut off the motor and do a real long glide to cool the motor. doubt i could but would be nice if there was some way to cool the motor after it stops
Mar 11, 2004, 07:12 PM
Foam rules
Tom I think you got mest up with threads. this should be over in the funjet thread. But your right with what you found. After you land you can feel the heat build up in the motors of the edf50.
Mar 11, 2004, 07:25 PM
you're right, sorry about that.
Mar 11, 2004, 07:33 PM
Crash Master
Quote:
Originally posted by Thatovalguy
Gene I'm thinking anywhere you use a gws350 you could use the J250 with better numbers all around.
I basically use the prop charts for the EPS-300C, figuring about 1/2-2/3 the amps... I did a bunch of calcs way back, then I just figured I'd fly them
Mar 11, 2004, 08:05 PM
Foam rules
Well I came up with a design that should make all happy, and yes I raised the wing up off the fuse. This is gonna be a J250 or 350 aircraft, if it even fly's, but it should, and well. Not for the novice, but its fan fold so go for it.
Mar 11, 2004, 08:07 PM
Foam rules
tiled, oh with 3/4 overlap. Both plans have a 1" scale on them.

Just wanted to update a few things. On my build I went with flat top wing and the lower with 1" under each tip. I have ailerons with coupled rudder and elevator. Balance is just forward of center of top wing. I'm using a Johnson J250 and GWS 5.33-1 gearbox (C) and 1200 lipoly's. ewo went with rudder and elevator, 3" under each tip top and bottom wing's and a GWS 350, I suggest a C or D gear would be fine and what ever batteries you fell comfortable with ewo uses Rayovac nimh aaa's from walmart which I totally endorse because I told him to by them. You can really cook them without worries. Mine came in at 10oz ewo's at 14oz. Both fly great with no bad habits. Have fun.
Last edited by Thatovalguy; Mar 15, 2004 at 11:32 AM.
Mar 11, 2004, 08:09 PM
Foam rules
By the way, I can draw airplanes not mice. I think this one looks cool, hope you guys do to. Think I'll be cutting one out this weekend.
Mar 11, 2004, 08:27 PM
ewo
ewo
Do you know how much time and energy you just saved me?

Tog
You are the king!!!!!!!!

Thanks
ewo

edited
Im printing now

ewo
Last edited by ewo; Mar 11, 2004 at 08:35 PM.
Mar 11, 2004, 08:38 PM
Foam rules
ewo, what do you think?
Mar 11, 2004, 08:57 PM
ewo
ewo
i really like it Tog

I have the fuse plane cut out and im working on the wing pannels now

I should have a plane tonight

Thanks again

ewo

I
Mar 11, 2004, 08:58 PM
ewo
ewo
The mouse is dead on

Geeze i wish i was that fast

ewo

I am showing a span of right at 27" X5" cord
is that what you were shooting for?
ewo

sorry
it turned out 26"
Last edited by ewo; Mar 11, 2004 at 09:46 PM.
Mar 11, 2004, 09:52 PM
Foam rules
I really don't know, alls I can say is does the scale = 1" between marks, if so than thats it. You like that on you should see the plan for the actual Laird Super Solution. I think both are great looking.
Mar 11, 2004, 09:58 PM
KC9
KC9
Master Bluecor Smasher
Guys,

So the deal is your putting small ailerons on an undercambered wing ? Been there, done that, didn't work for me. I suggest you flatten the wing and also increase the aileron just a bit. Also, just run it to the end of the wing. It's easier to build it this way as well. My final suggestion is to increase the elevator considerably since your losing a lot of area on the tips there.

Just my 2 cents...
Mar 11, 2004, 10:07 PM
ewo
ewo
Have you seen the size of that elevator?

I think its Plenty