Jan 27, 2014, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Question

Charging 1S Li-Po with USB Charger and USB Power Bank

I have both the Hubsan X-4 and the Blade Nano QX, and I use the default USB chargers that they came with. I was wondering, if I wanted to use a USB power bank (like this one maybe https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-urg...attery-charger ), would I have to find one that has the same voltage and mA ratings that is on my charger, or will the charger only accept that much power? Sorry for the newbie question, but I am still learning and I couldn't find any similar questions using the search function.

Thanks,
Max
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2014, 05:53 AM
ancora imparo
That should work fine. The Hubsan charger just expects 5V at its input (USB voltage). It does all the rest to manage the charge current and voltage termination of the battery. The Hubsans use a 300mAh 3.7V cell and any normal USB outlet (including this device) will have enough capacity to run the charger properly.

You can also plug the charger into a car 12V USB adapter - the sort that are used to charge iPhones and the like. Very handy at the field - if you own a car of course.
Jan 28, 2014, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
That should work fine. The Hubsan charger just expects 5V at its input (USB voltage). It does all the rest to manage the charge current and voltage termination of the battery. The Hubsans use a 300mAh 3.7V cell and any normal USB outlet (including this device) will have enough capacity to run the charger properly.

You can also plug the charger into a car 12V USB adapter - the sort that are used to charge iPhones and the like. Very handy at the field - if you own a car of course.
Thanks! Still a couple years till I can get one of those and use it legally, but the power bank will come in handy!
Thanks again,
Max
Jan 28, 2014, 05:18 PM
ancora imparo
Max, I just found some FAQ's on this device.

It is simply a rechargeable LiIon battery with some inbuilt voltage conversion as far as I can tell.

You charge it up through the supplied Mini USB cable (plugged into the IN port) from any computer USB port or charger then when it is full you can carry it around and plug your Hubsan cable into the normal USB port (OUT).

Either model will supply adequate current for the Hubsan charger but if the 2600mAh version is the same price I would buy that. Gives you more charges before it runs down and needs recharging. Theoretically you would get about 8 charges of a fully depleted 300mAh flight battery from a fully charged stick but that might vary a bit in practice depending how efficient the switching convertor is in this gadget.

It's a neat robust solution for lightweight portable charge power.

Post back here when you have tried it out and let us know how it went. There are bigger units with more capacity cheap on-line from eBay but this one looks very good quality and design.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogboy
Thanks! Still a couple years till I can get one of those and use it legally, but the power bank will come in handy!
Thanks again,
Max
Jan 28, 2014, 05:35 PM
They are handy little devices indeed. I purchased this one about a year ago and it's been fantastic when I travel. It'll charge my tablet and cell phone multiple times before needing to be recharged.

The small 'lipstick' versions have a single 18650 cell and one can expect ~50-60% usable listed capacity due to DC-DC conversion losses and 'optimistic' cell capacity rating.

Mark
Jan 29, 2014, 06:39 AM
Mrforsyth, yes those things are wonderful and very handy!! Would be great to use for the OP asked question.

Quick Reply