Jupiter Junior vintage style biplane - Page 4 - RC Groups
Feb 14, 2014, 01:54 PM
I call it 'landing'...
Did anyone a 'candy bomber' out of it yet? Which payload is possible?
I have a 2812 left (it pulls 580g) - that would be enough.
The downthrust I have to figure out.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2014, 02:17 PM
scratchbuilder
It won´t carry much as it is really small.
Feb 15, 2014, 02:47 PM
scratchbuilder

Jupiter Rocket

It`s a brother!
I made a low wing version with slightly more wingspan called Jupiter Rocket. I had to add ailerons because rudder response was not satisfiying. It went easily in a turn, but only slowly back to level flight. Ailerons solved this issue.
Feb 15, 2014, 06:33 PM
skumgummi dave
Thomas B.

Your Rocket looks great!

Dave-
Feb 15, 2014, 08:36 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Thomas, I just love the looks of a low winger with dihedral. If you wanted to stay RET do you think a tad more dihedral would have worked?
Feb 16, 2014, 09:24 AM
Ken's CAD Models
The Jupiter Rocket looks great. Reminds me a bit of the Ford Flivver.

Ken

Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Feb 16, 2014, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B.
It`s a brother!
I made a low wing version with slightly more wingspan called Jupiter Rocket. I had to add ailerons because rudder response was not satisfiying. It went easily in a turn, but only slowly back to level flight. Ailerons solved this issue.
Brilliant ! Thomas your production factory never stops... I like the cartoonish style!
Feb 16, 2014, 11:39 AM
scratchbuilder

Jupiter Rocket

Thank you all for your kind words.
Jimmy, I wanted to keep it RET only, so I gave it 5° more dihedral than the Junior. That makes 25°, which is quite a lot. In spite of that, the turning behaviour was not "harmonic" (maybe not the right word). When I wanted to get out of a turn, it made a kind of knife edge flight for some metres before returning to level. I enlarged the rudder and that did not help. my theory: the rudder is positioned quite high above the wing, so it has a kind of aileron effect that works against the desired movement.
When I tried the J. Junior as a parasol high winger, it had even more rudder authority than the biplane - so I may be right. I made a sketch to show what I mean.

Ken, the Flivver looks great. And there is definitely a resemblance!
Last edited by Thomas B.; Feb 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Feb 16, 2014, 01:58 PM
scratchbuilder

Jupiter Rocket video

The Jupiter Rocket is a bit faster than the J.Junior (hence the name):
Jupiter Rocket (2 min 34 sec)
Feb 16, 2014, 02:00 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Interesting observations Thomas. Looks like that could be it. Looking at the pics again the other thing I notice is the large amount of side area of the fuse above the wing also. I wonder if that is affecting things. I am thinking of planes like GPW's Parkflyer Pete which is a low wing RET ship and there is not as much fuse/side area above the wing. That plane is a stellar RET ship. So maybe the tall fuse is part of the issue???

Hmmmm. Nice little mystery here.

Jimmy
Feb 16, 2014, 02:17 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Thomas,
Very nice flying. The Rocket has great agility.

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Feb 16, 2014, 03:20 PM
scratchbuilder
Nice little mystery here.
You are right Jimmy - one of my favourite aspects of the hobby - trying to understand things. I agree the fuselage side area probably has an effect.
Feb 19, 2014, 02:17 AM

125% maiden report

I finished the 125% version, and had the maiden flight. First flight was an adventure. I had balanced at the rear of the upper wing pylon, and it was tail heavy. I found a throttle setting that wasnt oscillating, and managed to come around and land without incidence.
I then added a 350ma lipo (26 grams) just behind the firewall, and the second flight was pleasant. Nice stable flight. This flys very slow on the wing. It rolled about 4 inches on landing. The cg ended up about 1/3 the pylon width forward.
moving to a 2822/14 and 20 amp speed controller should get the balance right. Way more power than needed, but good balast.

sorry, but I didnt get any pictures..
Last edited by mojoteri; Feb 20, 2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typos
Feb 19, 2014, 12:49 PM
scratchbuilder
I hope you enjoy it as I do! Please post pics later.
It sounds like a good idea to start with the CG moved some mm to the front.
Feb 19, 2014, 09:36 PM
Seems to fly very nicely.. adding ailerons is not a lot of extra effort if that's the result.
Curious though: does it still actually still require so much dihedral when fitted with ailerons?
Wonder what would happen if the wing was mounted in the middle of the fuselage?