Jan 27, 2014, 12:44 PM
Discussion

Crossover

I started this over on the slope forum, but was advised to move it here...so here it is...

Hi All,

So I have my brand new shiney Crossover. I had ordered it in mid December direct from Stefan Ober over in Nuremburg. Last week to my surprise he emailed and said it was ready. So, had a few days off, I packed up the Wife and we headed to Germany for a few days of sightseeing, beer drinking, sausage eating, cuckoo clock shopping (had to get something for the wife), and to pickup my Crossover.

We took the ICE to Nuremburg, checked in to the hotel and within an hour Max, the airfoil designer should up with the Crossover. To say I am impressed with the quality is an understatement. This glider is a work of art. Along with glider I got the glider bag, (very nice) ballast, and all the neccesary hardware.

I packed up in a sportube and brought it home to Hong Kong.

I am going to use MKS 6125H in the fuse, 6125minis in the wings, BEC's all around, the Ober Flugmodellbau RDS http://www.oberflugmodellbau.de/

Here are a few pics...I will be posting more as the build goes on...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2014, 12:49 PM
Ok, so after flying my Precious today, I came home and started work on the Crossover. Connected the voltage regulators, some heat shrink tubing around the plug and VR, mounted the 6125Hs ( which fit perfectly). Ground down a couple servo arms and clevises with my trusty dremel, trimmed the included pushrods, cyno'd the link then I mixed up some epoxy and silica thickner, glued the pushrods to the side of the fuse and presto...
Jan 27, 2014, 06:39 PM
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
Can't wait to see this!!
Latest blog entry: Kinetic 100DP
Jan 27, 2014, 09:25 PM
You'll even get to fly it..
Jan 27, 2014, 11:26 PM
Eagle Butte User
Love the Crossover. And build threads always grab my attention. What type of glue did you use to glue the coupler to the pushrod? Will the receiver end up in the front or aft of the servos? Reason I ask is the voltage regulators I imagine are going to eat up a little real estate so that will be a consideration...
Jan 28, 2014, 02:45 AM
you need to get that ballast tube in the fuz ....you can just squeeze a 20mm tube in ..although now youve epoxed the snakes in that may be a bit to tight ...
Jan 28, 2014, 04:09 AM
PDX....I used slow/thick cyno. Receiver behind the servos, the v/r's for elevator/rudder servos fit no problem.

Andy....As far as ballast, in the wings I can fit 1250grams (450 in the joiner, 800 in the wings), I also just ordered a 1060gram steel wing joiner..so between the wings 800g + 1060g in the joiner gives me over 65oz...should be enough I reckon. If it is not enough, I do have a tungsten connection...
Jan 28, 2014, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHectorA
PDX....I used slow/thick cyno. Receiver behind the servos, the v/r's for elevator/rudder servos fit no problem.

Andy....As far as ballast, in the wings I can fit 1250grams (450 in the joiner, 800 in the wings), I also just ordered a 1060gram steel wing joiner..so between the wings 800g + 1060g in the joiner gives me over 65oz...should be enough I reckon. If it is not enough, I do have a tungsten connection...
Im not convinced on the joiner ....its a big hunk of metal that could destroy your wings in the evnt of an arrival ...and thats 1kg a good way ahead of the CG the ballast in the wings will struggle to compensate ........just my findings..I'm still playing with mine but its very good .....
Jan 28, 2014, 01:21 PM

Wire harness

Tray painted to look pretty...servos in. Lots of space in the nose, I have a 2100mah LiFe battery on the way, should fit perfect and still leave space for ballast if needed..

So the tedious soldering...I soldered the V/Rs directly onto the harness...
Jan 30, 2014, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_b
Im not convinced on the joiner ....its a big hunk of metal that could destroy your wings in the evnt of an arrival ...and thats 1kg a good way ahead of the CG the ballast in the wings will struggle to compensate ........just my findings..I'm still playing with mine but its very good .....
Totally agree,....
But i got a metal joiner on a cheap way and i couldn't say no
Max weight about 4kg
Cool CO design color
Greetings, Kai
Last edited by marillion1; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Jan 30, 2014, 08:58 PM
RDS...this is all new to me. Have about a week of reserve so should have time, unless I get called out, to get her done.

Got some great tips from BDK74.

Well, here goes...
Jan 31, 2014, 01:35 AM
Please check again the pictures from Ober's RDS installation.
Picture 4
Try it a few times before you glue it in.
Sorry, here ends my english...
Jan 31, 2014, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marillion1
Please check again the pictures from Ober's RDS installation.
Picture 4
Try it a few times before you glue it in.
Sorry, here ends my english...
You are 100% correct, iturned it around...glued in, I will post pics later...

Thanks!!!!!
Jan 31, 2014, 03:22 AM
Did Ober recommend the axial 'B' for the flaps ...? they recomended 'A' s all round to me
Jan 31, 2014, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_b
Did Ober recommend the axial 'B' for the flaps ...? they recomended 'A' s all round to me
There allways has to be one....

Yes Sir, they did.

RDS Einbau Crossover - Futaba S3150.mp4 (22 min 24 sec)
Last edited by CaptainHectorA; Jan 31, 2014 at 04:19 AM.

Quick Reply