Canard Driver
one more picture
Mar 22, 2004, 11:57 AM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Excellent Dick!
Let us know how she flies.
RCA
Mar 22, 2004, 02:18 PM
Just got back from the maiden on my MVP. What a ^%$(#& hoot!

Itís underpowered (for now) with an IPS C/9070 and 3s LiPo, but thatís all I have at the momentówhat good are 20 J250 w/o gearboxes anyway. The IPS on 3s has just enough thrust to lift the plane from my hand. AUW was 6.25 oz w/3s340 Kokam.

Anyways, she flew like a dream. Hardly any trim was needed and had no problem getting a few mistakes high. This thing is a piece of cake to acclimate to, so within a couple minutes I had the triple rate switch set to the stupid position. Aileron rolls were axial, maybe 1/second. Theyíll be faster with more speed (which is on the way). Had tons of elevator authority, though I need to work out an ďissueĒ in that the right wing almost sits still while the left wing does the looping. Need to work on that one. Any ideas? Edit: Flew again this time with the battery on the other (left) side. Problem solved. Breeze was blowing 10+, but I had no problems--just left it WOT . Kinda cool watching it do one aileron roll after another while staying over the same piece of dirt.

The rudder authority deserves its own paragraph. You hit this one on the head as far as the rudder setup. It had no tendency to roll at all. Shoot, from level flight the thing will U-turn. Iím talking stall turn rotational rates in level flight. Do it with a little up elevator (I may mix it in later) and you can simply swap ends w/o losing any altitude. I even did 360s. I swear it looked like the thing pivoted on the wingtip.

Flat spins were dramatic and easy to exit.

Anyways great first flight. So good that I ran two batteries all the way to LVC. BTW: Dead stick flight is docile as well. Only had one close call when my thumb forgot which part of the plane was up. I did a lawn mower through about 5í of grass and amazingly flew out of it. You could hear the prop chewing up the grass.

The tail is still trying to keep up with the rest of the plane during HARD aileron rolls, and thatís even with .125 carbon tube running the length of the plane. Not really sure it hurts the way I fly.

Thatís my story and Iím sticking with it. There are no 3D evaluations, cause I donít know the first thing about flying that way.

Thanks again for the plans. This one is a keeper.

Kurt
Last edited by Fishnut; Mar 22, 2004 at 05:08 PM.
Mar 23, 2004, 11:16 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
That's great news Kurt. I'm glad it flies soo well. Are you going to put a brushless motor in it? Might I recommend the AXI 2208/34. Breathtaking performance.
Way to go Kurt.
RCA
Mar 23, 2004, 11:18 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Hey R.A.P.,
Have you flown yours yet! Sure looks hot.
RCA
Mar 23, 2004, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RCAV8R13
That's great news Kurt. I'm glad it flies soo well. Are you going to put a brushless motor in it? Might I recommend the AXI 2208/34. Breathtaking performance.
Way to go Kurt.
RCA
Thanks for the tip on the Axi. I'll keep it in mind. I've been playing with high volt/low amp brush setups and I want to try a 3s J250 on it. I've also got parts for BL outrunners on order. On the outrunners, you can stack stators to scale the performance-- and no steenking gearboxes.

Kurt
Mar 23, 2004, 11:59 PM
Canard Driver
Quote:
Hey R.A.P.,
RCA
RCA,
No I have'nt and it's really bugging me, I had some time this
afternoon but the wind was blowing way to hard!Maybe
tomorrow? I know it will fly just great it pulls like a horse. After
reading Kurt's report now I'am really motivated...
Dick
Mar 24, 2004, 04:41 PM
Canard Driver
Quote:
Hey R.A.P.,
RCA
O.K. RCA , I flew three short flights this A.M. and I want to
tell you that plane is outstanding, its just what I've been
looking for, It hovers really nice at two clicks below half throttle.
The rudder authority is very nice, you can turn that baby on
a dime and leave 9 cents change. All my flights were on low rates, when I can catch a day when the wind is down I'll go high rates and also get some pictures. (Doug where are you when I need you)?
Set Up: AXI 2208/34 -C.C. 100 ESC- BMS-306 servo's- Kokam 340 3s1p batteries- AUW 7.5 Oz's- Prop APCSF 10x4.7 cut down to 9x4.7 this ship is just like I like them," overpowered" If
your not careful you coud lose this thing straight up on full power!
Guess I had better get busy on the other MVP before I get
a case of dumb thumbs and re-kit this one!!
Thanks again for your support and plans RCA .
Oh by the way have you had a chance to try the T.P.s you
were talking about earlier or do you think you like the 340's
Iam going to pick up another pack and was wondering?
Dick
Mar 24, 2004, 10:44 PM
I'm goin' Falcon nuts
Quote:
Originally posted by R.A.P.
O.K. RCA , I flew three short flights this A.M. and I want to
tell you that plane is outstanding, its just what I've been
looking for, It hovers really nice at two clicks below half throttle.
The rudder authority is very nice, you can turn that baby on
a dime and leave 9 cents change. All my flights were on low rates, when I can catch a day when the wind is down I'll go high rates and also get some pictures. (Doug where are you when I need you)?
Set Up: AXI 2208/34 -C.C. 100 ESC- BMS-306 servo's- Kokam 340 3s1p batteries- AUW 7.5 Oz's- Prop APCSF 10x4.7 cut down to 9x4.7 this ship is just like I like them," overpowered" If
your not careful you coud lose this thing straight up on full power!
Guess I had better get busy on the other MVP before I get
a case of dumb thumbs and re-kit this one!!
Thanks again for your support and plans RCA .
Oh by the way have you had a chance to try the T.P.s you
were talking about earlier or do you think you like the 340's
Iam going to pick up another pack and was wondering?
Dick
Hi Dick,
I'm delighted that your MVP flies well too. I have not had the chance to fly the T.P. yet. Very busy at work and I am leaving tomorrow for Arizona to play war games with the Marines for a week. But I did get to fly Kody's ShockFlyer Extra with the same pack (same motor and prop too) that I bought from him, and it was noticably more powerful . I think Tabby tabb had the same set up in his S.F. and he had loong, powerful flights. But let's face it, the power with the 340s is obscene. The power with the T.P. is just more obscene, for longer. The weight penalty of the T.P. is negligible.
I can't wait to get back to flying mine again, and I haven't even left yet.
RCA
Mar 26, 2004, 04:08 PM
Will fly for food
Anyone know how the axi 2208/34 does with 3 cell lipo's.
Last edited by davidjensen; Apr 02, 2004 at 01:30 AM.
Mar 27, 2004, 08:12 PM
Space Coast USA
RCA,
Would you be kind enough to show a close up of how you did the axle? A piece of wire perhaps? Also, did you run 1/8" tube as a leading edge on the wing? And battery location? While you're at it, AUW?
Thanks,
hoppy
Mar 31, 2004, 02:06 AM
Zoom, zoom...
I am sure that this has been posted somewhere in the two threads here, but I have the PJS-300SF brushless motor and would like to try out this "3D" style of flight. Which Depron plane here will accomodate this motor (I have many 2s packs, but no 3s packs) with which prop? I can fly just about any plane out there (take off, fly around, land) but have no experience with 3D or pattern style flight. I am thinking of doing something like a Mini Vertigo Pro, but would like some sugestions.
Mar 31, 2004, 09:48 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Trikster, go with the MVP perfect size.

Ok, I just maidened my MVP in a 10 mph wind WOW! amazing little plane. Here is the good part, I could not make up my mind on what lipo pack to buy so, I grabbed a 3s1p Etech 1200 pack and put it on board. Now remember this is the plane I put the Razor 350 in with a 11-4.7. For all you folks wondering about weight this thing flies great at a chubby 9 oz! There was a little more wind than I like but it handled it fine. I will try to get some flight pics posted.

POWER
Apr 01, 2004, 07:09 PM
Where are the plans for the MVP?

Quick Reply