Jan 26, 2014, 10:32 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Winter days dreaming of warmer days boats

Well here we are freezing our tokhus off on a sunny Sunday morning, dreaming of warmer days to come, hopefully sooner than later. So while having another cup of coffee, I thought I would post another of my previous builds of some well know modeling subjects.

This is one of the most recognized of the models ever produced by a manufacturer and was the top seller in their impressive line of model kits in both static and radio controlled versions. The company is MIDWEST PRODUCTS, and the kit is their BOOTHBAY LOBSTER BOAT. This model kit struck a chord not only in its home waters here in the north east, but across the country and abroad. Many version of the basic hull design have been produced and are still being tweaked and modified into new versions of this old classic.

The Midwest kit, in both the static and R/C version were build of lite ply wood, balsa, bass wood, and mahogany. The kits were die cut of good quality and came with the necessary running and deck hardware to produce the finished model. The kit also came with fiberglass cloth for sheathing after the balsa planked hull was completed.

The strong point for the kit, and the thing I remember the most was the instruction booklet which accompanied each kit, full with step by step instructions, full of diagrams and assembly drawings. I was so impressed with the ease, at which the model construction took place, that I later patterned my instruction booklets for my Legend Model Boat Kits after their lead. It is for this reason I always recommend to a beginner or first timer to the hobby, that they start with a Midwest model kit, for I am sure they will complete the model with very satisfying results.

Midwest Model s has now stopped producing their full line of R/C boat kits, but not the “BOOTHBAY LOBSTER BOAT”. We can be thankful that this great kit is still made available to the modeling community to enjoy and build.

to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2014, 11:13 AM
Great report Rich. Having built 3 of these boats I can attest to ease of construction and the fun doing it. Very fine kits. Yup it is a bit frosty here too.
Jan 26, 2014, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
Hey Charlie!!!! Long time no hear. How is it going? You of all people should really have some input on the lobster boat designs with the great builds you have done on the different lobster boat subjects.
Jan 26, 2014, 11:56 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Still have my first one waiting to get built- really looking forward to it, but so many other projects...
Jan 26, 2014, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
HEY PAT!!! It seems like old timers week. You know there are a couple of sayings that come to mind after your last statement, “so many boats, so little time” and of course, “ he who dies with the most toys wins”.
Jan 26, 2014, 12:47 PM
Things are going well Rich. Just came across a Dumas Brooklyn tug kit for short money and may someday build it.
Jan 26, 2014, 12:52 PM
Thread OP
CHARLIE- is it one of the old fiberglass hulls or the newer Vac formed hulls.
Jan 26, 2014, 12:55 PM
BOATBring Out Another Thousand
Nice looking boat Rich. Looks real good going.

Brent
Jan 26, 2014, 01:25 PM
Thread OP
BRENT- The hull design lended itself to so many different superstructures and purpose built forms, that it is no wonder they are so popular among builders and modelers alike. Not only are they good looking with pleasing hull lines, they are fast hulls as can be attested to by the boats of the lobster 0boat races up in the New England states. The real kick in the butt is that the boats raced in the races have to be working boats also.

LOWELL CARROL along with a great number of other builders, built some fine looking cruisers on the lobster boat designed hull.

This is some pictures of my friend and club member, Dave Kammerer’s model of a lobster yacht he designed and built.

Jan 26, 2014, 02:01 PM
BOATBring Out Another Thousand
That is one fine cruiser!

Brent
Jan 26, 2014, 03:38 PM
Frank, who owns the Bartender in the background? The boat looks familiar. Jerryj98501
Jan 26, 2014, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
JERRY- The same guy who built the lobster yacht, Dave Kammerer. He wrote to the fellow who designed the bartender and told him that he wanted to build a model. After showing him the models he had built and swearing that he would not use the plans to build a real boat, he obtained a set of plans and built the model.
Jan 26, 2014, 04:33 PM
GSMB Member
Here are more pictures of that same boat.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&postcount=83
Jan 27, 2014, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
CHARLIE- is it one of the old fiberglass hulls or the newer Vac formed hulls.
It's the newer vac hull but I've delt with that before when building the Potomac from the Dumas Lakawanna. About the same size hull.

Quick Reply