Aug 25, 2014, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginosergio
Ohhh Captain, you are my light in the fog.
I have read this thread for months, trying to understand WHO was an "expert to follow" and who not.
Now I hope you are an expert

I have never done an accel calibration. I have try a radio calibration but then reverted to (saved) original param file. I have done many times compass calibration as explained by walkera, starting it from devo 10 and rotating the 350.

Now I have enough of all my experiments and want to revert to stock. I am on 1.0 now, and have an original parameter file saved with MP when the 350 was new OOTB (and with v. 1.1)

so wich is the best way to "format" my 350 and revert to stock ?
you say that MP can write garbage in wrong locations... does the Walkera firmware install rewrite "all" the eeprom ? Don't think so... if it really do not touch the parameters.... sigh

Thank you
Ser
I have two Pro, did upgrades, downgrades of firmware many times, changed param files, calibrated Accel, Compass in Mission Planner. After Radio calibration had problem with arming motors so returned to my saved settings. Both quad flies perfect. One time I've had a problem with one Pro, in Loiter it started drifting or flying in one direction. I found it was Compass problem (Mission Planner showed this information - Bad Compass Health). After changing compass everything started working again. I don't know what Mission Planner is doing with FC in walkera 350 Pro but so far didn't make my quad unstable or worse than before connecting it to. Thanks to Save Trim function I was able to stabilize my quad in Manual Mode - with gimbal and camera CG is moved forward.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2014, 09:52 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
Is there an easy way to use the compass and GPS of the x350 pro with the APM ? Drilling a hole to get the GPS/Compass connectors thru would be large. Or I would have to run it out the side and up. Or maybe that is the easy solution, given the different connectors.
Here is a photo of the GPS on the Walkera module:
http://www.dx.com/p/walkera-qr-x350-...8#.U_s7TPl_s40

Pins seems clearly labelled. So it should be possible to add a flytrex to it for flight data logging.
No problem at all, the compass will work fine if you swap the 2 middle leads over, the GPS is a bog standard Ublox NEO6M. You 'may' need to load the 3dr script but that is only a ttl serial tool (FTDI)

I am unsure why you are referring to cables and routes ?
If it is an APM, then the GPS connector on the APM is a 5 pin - the compass is a 6 pin, the I2C is a 4 pin at both ends.

I just ordered 2 Ublox 6M's off ebay with 5883L compass on board as well - 10 quid each free postage. - they are cheap as chips - on the 350 though I would use the existing compass as it is in a great position and you cant raise the gps up unless you put it outside the frame. - Off the top of my head its also a bog standard 5883L - you can get them for about 2 quid each or cheaper. I have half a dozen in a bag here as they are great for projects.
Dont forget you will loose led warnings if you fit an apm.
Last edited by Captainslarty; Aug 25, 2014 at 09:58 AM.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnndyBo
I have two Pro, did upgrades, downgrades of firmware many times, changed param files, calibrated Accel, Compass in Mission Planner. After Radio calibration had problem with arming motors so returned to my saved settings. Both quad flies perfect. One time I've had a problem with one Pro, in Loiter it started drifting or flying in one direction. I found it was Compass problem (Mission Planner showed this information - Bad Compass Health). After changing compass everything started working again. I don't know what Mission Planner is doing with FC in walkera 350 Pro but so far didn't make my quad unstable or worse than before connecting it to. Thanks to Save Trim function I was able to stabilize my quad in Manual Mode - with gimbal and camera CG is moved forward.
This is the problem really, no one knows the interaction of MP with the custom changes Walkera have done to the original APM. for that reason alone. I prefer not to make any changes - it is too much of an investment - I have a devo M spare - I mentioned earlier - that can be the subject of some good experiments.
The unit also flys extremely well out of the box, look at Brass ! - some of the best vids on the forum - and a stock unit - ! -A lot depends on the skill of the pilot - I think too many people expect a super stable flying robot that sits glued to a spot and when they dont get that - they believe it is the machine at fault. Some people on here are superb pilots and make everything look easy. Many need to learn to fly it as it comes first (not saying you btw - just in general!)
Again, if I want true APM functionality - I put an APM in it. I was going to put my genuine pixhawk in one of the 350's, but decided it was destined for bigger and better - ordered a 99 dollar PH clone from whitespy for that lol.
Naza lite for the other.
Aug 25, 2014, 10:53 AM
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainslarty
You have to remember the APM version in the QRX350 is not a genuine APM - it is highly modified with custom code and changes by walkera.
When you upload param files some things may be left in the eeprom of the unit and not cleared on a rewrite of the firmware - this happens with the standard apm as well but is easy to sort out - you load another version - ie APM plane - you cannot do this with the 350 pro. !!
People who upload param files and make a lot of changes to the flight controller are in danger of being left with an unstable unit. The infamous 'matt' param files are not and were never suitable for this unit (a case of the blind leading the blind in the early days). compass calibration is not designed to be done by mission planner on this unit - neither is tx calibration. neither is accel' calibration. There are custom routines in the firmware for this. It 'should' be safe. but as the manufacturers never intended the user to have access to these, one doesnt know if you are writing parameters to a part of eeprom they meant to be used for something else -
If you really want to change things then put a genuine APM clone in there.
If flashing with firmware 1.1 does not help then flash 1.0, then 1.1 - after that, you have what you have. !
Best thing is to leave well alone unless you fully understand what you are doing.
Radio, Compass, and ACC cal should be best done by mission planner, It works 100% and you will get better results.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:03 AM
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginosergio
Ohhh Captain, you are my light in the fog.
I have read this thread for months, trying to understand WHO was an "expert to follow" and who not.
Now I hope you are an expert

I have never done an accel calibration. I have try a radio calibration but then reverted to (saved) original param file. I have done many times compass calibration as explained by walkera, starting it from devo 10 and rotating the 350.

Now I have enough of all my experiments and want to revert to stock. I am on 1.0 now, and have an original parameter file saved with MP when the 350 was new OOTB (and with v. 1.1)

so wich is the best way to "format" my 350 and revert to stock ?
you say that MP can write garbage in wrong locations... does the Walkera firmware install rewrite "all" the eeprom ? Don't think so... if it really do not touch the parameters.... sigh

Thank you
Ser
I've done in at least 10 times to my Devo-M during testing. After running Erase function in Mission planner CLI, I just went back and installed the GPS FW and 1.0FW. All worked fine after the Erase function.

Correct, reinstalling walkera firmware does not change any parameters. They are two separate files so you'll need to upload a saved version of the parameter file via mission planner.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:13 AM
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by povlhp
Walkera changes are few. They use beta version of 3.2, so it is unlikely that they do much customization. They most likely just change a few parameters, and possible removes stuff they do not have memory / CPU for. The built-in flash log of the APM 2.6 is one of the things they have removed to keep costs down. They have swapped 2 compass wires to ensure you can't use a standard compass, and they might have swapped GPS pins as well. Basicly they did little to improve it, but only to make it cheaper and cause lock-in. The only improvement they made as far as I know was the connectors with the locking tabs.
GPS pins aren't the issue, the gps is using a different baud rate, which can be changed and then the gps will work fine with a standard apm2.6.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:25 AM
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnndyBo
For anybody who need it, original 1.0 firmware, original config.bin and original parameters for 1.0 firmware.
After downgrade firmware in SerialAngel press leave button, then close SerialAngel, open it again and in tab Config download original config.bin Then SerialAngel will show correctly ver 1.0 firmware after downgrade from 1.1 or 1.2
Then you can load and save Original Parameters file in Mission Planner and your quad is like brand new

Also my param file (remove .txt from the end). My Pro flies really nice.
It has LVC disabled, has Matt PID settings. I set timer in Devo 10 for 15 minutes and then land. I fly with gimbal and camera. My settings will not be good for Pro without gimbal and camera installed. Also I set RTL_FINAL to 200 so after returning to launch it will hover at 200 cm then you have to switch to manual and land.

One more think, movie with my Devo 10 stock settings with gimbal. It helped me
to fix my problems - one time, by mistake I changed Gear and Aux settings in my Devo 10 and quad become flying really weird.
I didn't know what is going on. This movie helped me to return to default settings and to fix it.
http://youtu.be/pH2iozgwtqc?list=UU8..._1AeXovqVE3gAA
Hey Anndy, I made a small change to the PID's. rate roll/pit P is now .1200 . It flies great without the gimbal now. Just as smooth as my phantom, but with more responsiveness.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:41 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk
Radio, Compass, and ACC cal should be best done by mission planner, It works 100% and you will get better results.
The unit is not designed for the average user to 'mess' with. Plain and simple. You cannot say it works 100% of the time and has 'better' results. Your baseless messing and poking in the dark is meaningless. If someone wants APM functionality in there - put an APM in it. You can fool some of the people some of the time etc. but no longer.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Hey Anndy, I made a small change to the PID's. rate roll/pit P is now .1200 . It flies great without the gimbal now. Just as smooth as my phantom, but with more responsiveness.
yes, I know, have seen them on facebook. thank you!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:49 AM
mattjk
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while mattjk edits it.
Aug 25, 2014, 11:54 AM
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainslarty
The unit is not designed for the average user to 'mess' with. Plain and simple. You cannot say it works 100% of the time and has 'better' results. Your baseless messing and poking in the dark is meaningless. If someone wants APM functionality in there - put an APM in it. You can fool some of the people some of the time etc. but no longer.
you are wrong. and more and more posts are coming out proving you are wrong.

P.S. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2231153

http://www.bluemoment.com/forum/view...3143&view=next

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...port-departure

Quote:
Archived Post from old forum
Slarty, you are a f**king c**t. Why dont you just keep your f**king beak out of other peoples threads if all you intend to do is piss them off? Because that is what it seems like. You are going to great lengths to explain why it is your god given right to do so, when in fact you are only doing it to raise a few backs...and get this kind of response from people.

A couple of weeks ago it was you who was leaving, because you offended someone and they had a bloody good go back... and you did not like it, and proceeded to spit the dummy and throw all your toys out of the pram.

I like this forum, but I f**king hate your piss poor threads of drivvel. Do us a favour and shut the f**k up. DUDE.

Sorry to see you go Bill!
Quote:
Slarty - Dont you ever give up? All you seem to do is contradict everything anyone ever says.
Quote:
Whenever someone leaves the forums it is sad, but their reason for leaving seems to involve the words "Captain Slarty" more and more.

Slarty IS entitled to his point of view - even if it is wrong. I dont particularly like his attitude either, but what can you do... you cant educate pork, can you?

Slarty, in my opinion, reminds me of the kind of guy who yells at other motorists when hes in his car, because he feels safe, enclosed in his own little world, but should one of those other drivers get out of their car and have a go back, hed sheet himself.

He feels safe behind his keyboard, because no-one can actually physically retaliate. After all, if hed delivered some of his responses to people, who are, in effect, strangers in a pub, hed have been put on his ar5e long ago.

I wonder what kind of relationship he had with his mother!

Shame that he seems to be spoiling the forums for a lot of people. It seemed a much nicer place before he arrived. Now all you see are his stupid comments in everyone elses threads.

Ho hum...

Face
Aug 25, 2014, 12:02 PM
None
For anyone interested in the new Tali H500, I'm also improving those. Here is an email from the last person I helped out. I changed over 20 parameters in mission planner CLI and modified his G-3D gimbal.

Quote:
Hi Matt,

Thanks again for working on my MR.

It definitely handles better. I had a gusty 15 mph wind and was able to fly in stabilized most of the time. I few times I had to switch to loiter to stabilize and get my bearings. That’s FAR better than my previous flights in stabilized. Flying in loiter mode is also much better. And yes, I can still land it in loiter mode, though I have to immediately shut the motors down.

Anyway, I’ll get out and get some video tomorrow you can see it in action.

Have a great night.

Name Withheld
Aug 25, 2014, 12:15 PM
None
Nice motor upgrade:

Emax 2213 935kv motors and RTFquads Red 20a Simonk Naked esc's are an Excellent combo for replacing the crap units.

I am getting over 29min flight time without gimbal, and almost 20mins with a 200 gram 3 axis gimbal with gopro.

Motors are no longer hot, like the stockers.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/f-2...ultirotor.html

Name: 10464079_10154348322235508_3226600776493197895_n.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 33.7 KB
Description:

Lot's of people are swapping the motors with great results. Even with the stock ESC's.

Quote:
Just tested a few minutes ago. I am very pleased. 31 minutes flight time with new motors, stock lipo, props and ESC. More stable. The motors are barely warm and lipo is warm. Will replace the ESC soon.
Aug 25, 2014, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Nice motor upgrade:

Emax 2213 935kv motors and RTFquads Red 20a Simonk Naked esc's are an Excellent combo for replacing the crap units.

I am getting over 29min flight time without gimbal, and almost 20mins with a 200 gram 3 axis gimbal with gopro.

Attachment 7044959

Lot's of people are swapping the motors with great results. Even with the stock ESC's.
I know it offf topic but since you are here Matt, what you think about H500 and Devo 10?
Aug 25, 2014, 12:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Nice motor upgrade:

Attachment 7044959

So, the FC is crap - needs 'improving', the esc's are crap - need changing, and the motors are crap.
Wow. this is obviously a REALLY bad unit.. I am amazed it flies at all.

Beware of people quoting flight times - its not the gun in most cases, it is the gunner.

Quick Reply