Feb 08, 2014, 11:32 AM
Hey dbc I'm still following your progress! This is quite a fine model, haven't heard of anyone complain about it in the air, fine flyer.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2014, 11:51 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Hey, someone is actually watching! Thanks for the shout out Caddguy6.

Some random thoughts: the actual firewall is quite thin - looks to be only one layer (maybe 1/8") of light ply. The secondary motor box firewall has three layers of light ply on its face and is plenty stout. I would have thought the fuse firewall would be thicker. Maybe it's ok, but I was surprised.

And Tower just dropped the price on this and several other Phoenix models. Tucano went to $129 from $149. Combine that with the coupon for $10-15 off AND free shipping. This is an incredibly nice plane for less than $120 delivered. If anyone is interested, I'll post close up pictures of some of the nice construction details - many seldom seen on models at this modest price.
Feb 08, 2014, 12:08 PM
Hi DBC,

I'm paying attention too! Just waiting for the flight report and I will add this to the hanger. Great news on the price drop too.

Thanks!

Mickydee
Feb 08, 2014, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickydee
Hi DBC,

I'm paying attention too! Just waiting for the flight report and I will add this to the hanger. Great news on the price drop too.

Thanks!

Mickydee
They worry me everytime there is a price drop like that. Hope they don't discontinue it.
It's a nice model for the money !
Feb 08, 2014, 09:24 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Many hours of work today on it, and it's done! No stickers or antennas installed yet. This plane has such clean lines that I am reluctant to put many stickers on it.

Note the nice detailing in the cockpit. The upper frames of the ejection seats are behind the pilot heads. Both positions have extremely detailed instrument panels. The instruments are actually raised, three-dimensional, not flat stickers. It has the correct all glass panel and even has a clear, head up display (HUD) screen, mounted above the panel - exactly like the real plane.

The plastic bomb included with the kit mounts directly under the fuselage. I'm not sure about that yet.

The plane alone came in at 5 lbs. 14 oz. It balanced in the middle of the CG range with the battery centered in the compartment. Just about perfect. With a 5S 4000 battery The AUW will be 6 lbs 15 oz.

I set the control throws near the recommended values, balanced the prop, and will try for a maiden tomorrow - weather permitting. Stay tuned.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 08, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Feb 10, 2014, 02:04 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Early this morning I did the maiden and two additional flights on the Tucano. Quick summary: I was delighted with how it flew.

Only a few clicks of trim needed. I would describe its performance as smooth, stable, and predictable. Loops, rolls, stall turns, and inverted were all easy and looked very nice. The plane flies with great stability and tracks like it was on rails.

It has fairly high wing loading, 28.5 ounces per square foot, and no flaps. Consequently, it lands at a pretty good clip. I have a long asphalt strip and landing fast has never bothered me IF the plane has good tracking and ground handling. And this one certainly does. I shot several landings with each battery and got beautiful straight rollouts each time. It's easy to hold the plane in a flare until it settles on the main gear. Release back pressure on the elevator, the nosewheel settles, and you have excellent tracking until the plane comes to a stop

I need more flights to further explore it's performance. But right now I would say that it flies every bit as nice as it looks.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 10, 2014 at 02:09 PM.
Feb 10, 2014, 03:07 PM
Augermeister
dbc/xmech.

This one? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBGZU&P=ML

Omnihobbies has them also. $129? Free shipping ? Are you kidding me ?

Too darn good to be true. That's less than the Multiplex Tucan foamie kit

A couple of questions:

1). Does this one come with a removable hatch ?
2). What size lipo ? based on your Emax or G46 equivalent ?
3) Can retracts be modded in later?

I've been scouring the I-net for a PC-9 / PC-21 / Tucano and have looked at other Pjoenix versions. SeBart Eccom, Unique Models, Seagull, etc.

Is there a down side? What am I missing here?

Have it in my cart waiting to pull the trigger ....

I couldn't get free shipping but got the coupon code

-Hawk
Last edited by dahawk47; Feb 10, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
Feb 10, 2014, 03:40 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
That's the one. It differs slightly from that picture. I believe the pic is of the earlier glo only version. This new one has a beautiful CNC front compression strut gear and nicer much more detailed cockpit.

1) large removable canopy/hatch.

2) I'm flying it on a 4000 5s lipo.

3) instructions for installing retracts and the correctly painted plastic wheel wells for the wings are included.

No downside at all. Almost unbelievable value, IMHO. And way better looking than ANY foamy.

Free shipping for Club members only. I think you can join for $10 then get the free shipping. Like getting membership free. And if you're a member you get $15 off instead of $10.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 10, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Feb 10, 2014, 03:52 PM
Augermeister
dcd,

Thanks ! I'm now the newest member of the Phoenix Tucano club Yay ! Now to go over to headsuprc and shop for the electric package. Worry about retracts later.

Motors: Emax? Powerup ? Turnigy SK3? Tacon? Scorpion ?

Servos: Tower pro / Savox ? Hitec?

With a deal like this, I'm thinking I can afford to go " top cabin" with the electrics.

Really looking forward to the arrival. And in front of her, I still have a Maxford Temco Swift to build.

Horrible addiction but a round of golf at Pebble Beach is $450.00- LOL

Cheers,

Hawk
Feb 10, 2014, 04:04 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Way to go Hawk! I don't think you'll regret this one.

Plenty of good choices in motors and servos. The Emax motor I chose weighs 9.0 oz and the plane balances easily with it. It is a 950 watt motor which is a little under the 1000-1400 watt recommended. The plane flys with plenty of authority but it isn't blazing fast nor capable of unlimited vertical. If your looking for that, probably a little larger motor would be a good idea. But be careful as the added weight might become a balance issue.

There is a slightly larger Emax motor that I considered that is capable of 1250 watts and weighs 9.8 oz. it might still balance and would give a good bit more power.

The EMP (Firepower) and Suppo (Powerup) motors are good choices too. Just watch weight and KV rating to match it to your intended battery and prop.
Feb 10, 2014, 05:16 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Further thoughts: It would be easy to fabricate a lite ply extension to the battery tray that would allow the battery to be moved back another 5". This would let you use a much larger and heavier motor if you wanted to make it a real speed demon.

Hopefully the winds will settle just before sundown here in Central Fl and allow me time to get a couple more flights in this evening.
Feb 10, 2014, 05:31 PM
Augermeister
Thanks,

Wish we had your weather. Sister and Bro live in Orlando. I went to school in Gainesville and spent a few years in Pensacola and JAX.

Going with the Powerup 46 with Skypower 80amp esc from HURC. Love those guys!. Will add a UBEC with a Buss Tie Circuit so I can have a failsafe setup.

Have a Powerup 46 one in my VQ DHC Beaver. Allows me to go to 6S later. Have a couple of Turnigy 5S 30C's 4500mah.

Been using CHL 3700 4S 40C's on my larger foam planes but CHL doesn't include Deans connectors on anything over 3700mah.

Wife goes out of town for 2 weeks on Friday so I can reclaim the kitchen table. LOL

Stoked about the find and appreciate the help. Will report back.

-Hawk
Feb 10, 2014, 06:58 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Yeah, I buy lots from headsuprc. They are located only about 40 miles north of me but I have never been to their shop. They ship the day I order and I usually receive it the next day - talk about convenient.

That Suppo 46 is a fine choice. I think that's what xmech is using.

I got four more batteries through the Tucano before it got dark this evening. I got way up high and provoked turning and straight ahead stalls. Both were uneventful. Straight ahead it would occasionally drop one wing or the other but only gently. Turning stalls (they are not "tip stalls"!) were very gentle also. It was even somewhat difficult to force the plane into a spin. With the high wing loading I had expected that you would have to be very careful here. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm thinking this will quickly become one of my favorite planes. Maybe I'd better snap up a backup plane before the word gets out on these.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 10, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
Feb 10, 2014, 07:17 PM
Augermeister
Thanks,

I'm very encouraged. Any feel for what servoless retracts would go good for this plane? I'll fly her dirty for a while but can already see adding some nice metal trunnions with oleo struts.

Since getting back into the hobby 3 years ago and now some 28 planes later, I've been migrating towards balsa every chance I get. Have an Eflight Deuces Wild, GP-Escapade, VQ Beaver, Maxford Swift and now the Pilatus coming. They just have a better feel to them.

Have you tried programming flapperons or spoilerons to slow her down for landings? Our field has obstructions ( trees ) on each end of a crosswind grass runway. Not terrible but can be challenging at times.
Feb 10, 2014, 09:28 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I'm with you 100% hawk. I've been moving quickly toward balsa planes also. I've been seven or eight years in this hobby and let the cheezy little foamy's almost take over my collection. Thankfully I acknowledged how much nicer looking and flying the balsas are. They are now back to about 50% of my fleet. Hopefully I can move it to 90% - or more.

I have not tried flaperons or spoilerons. I have plenty of room for the rollout so it is really not an issue. And it is early in my experience with this plane. But the rollout can exceed 200 feet after landing on asphalt.

Retracts would be a beautiful addition to the plane. It is begging for them. But I have not considered that yet. Maybe in the future. I'm just having way too much fun with it exactly as it is.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply