Jan 28, 2014, 11:03 PM
Wow, looks like a winner and a new addition to my want list. I would love to hear the details on your power system. Any idea on how big a prop you can swing and still have decent prop clearance?

Thanks!

Mickydee
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2014, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
I was happy to see all the stickers on a separate sheet. I'm liking a cleaner look than with all the "gingerbread" applied. Xmech, did your sticker sheet have the the large cutout area mine has? I wonder what was removed?
I don't have enough of my sticker sheet left to be able to tell.
Looks like you have the main players there.
I didn't attach the antennas since i know I would break them off right away.
BTW if you use a prop larger than a 12" you will probably be eating some dirt if you fly off grass as I do. 13" might be fine on a paved runway.
This is my go to airplane on windy days.
Jan 29, 2014, 08:39 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Good to know that a 13" prop still has adequate clearance for pavement operation. That will give me an option to use 4s with a little less power draw. Xmech liked 5s power for his plane, and that's what I'm planning to use also.

The recommended power set ups are not consistent. Tower website lists 40-46 while the manual and box show 46-55. The electric conversion addendum to the manual suggests several 46 size motors.

I've lately used several EMax GT series motors with excellent results. They make nice power, run cool, and have smooth, quiet bearings. Real nice, value priced motors. I'm going to use this one:

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-GT3...otor-F-108.htm

My bench tests differ somewhat from those shown by Headsuprc. For some reason, Jeff (Headsuprc) always gets higher power readings on smaller props than my wattsup meter shows. For me, the 12x8 APC on 5s shows about 960 watts at 50.5 amps. Prop rpm 10,620. Calculated data: thrust 7.6 lb, pitch speed 79 mph. I'm thinking this will provide nice performance.
Last edited by dbc; Jan 29, 2014 at 08:57 AM.
Jan 31, 2014, 03:11 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I've just now begun assembly. xmech mentioned that the CNC machined front strut was a "work of art". Very true. The cylinder, articulated strut arm, and linkage are all CNC machined aluminum. It looks heavy but only weighs 51 g. Take a look at this beautifully done piece:
Last edited by dbc; Jan 31, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
Feb 04, 2014, 09:53 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Assembly is progressing. The wing panels have been completed. Ailerons hinged, servos and linkages installed, and main landing gear installed.

Pictures are of the Emax motor installed on the provided standoffs. I had to relocate the blind nuts in the firewall inward a couple of millimeters. This took a good bit of time but resulted in a nice clean installation.

The first picture shows the unsightly gap left in the fuselage after the installation of the horizontal stabilizer. There is no provision in the kit for filling this gap. I might take the time to fabricate a balsa filler for this.
Feb 04, 2014, 10:16 AM

Tucana

There was a plug included in my kit already covered with white . But I did not get the nice canopy spring latch like you did! LOL
Sounds like you are just about done with her. This is one of the nicest airplanes to land, not pron to bouncing.
Enjoy
Feb 05, 2014, 12:22 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I finished with the empennage yesterday. All surfaces hinged - control horns, pushrods, servos and linkages all installed. The tailfeathers on this plane are very rigid. The control surfaces operate with low friction and no slop. The inexpensive HITec servos i've chosen seem to work fine for this application.

Solving the dilemma of ESC location is next. Thanks to xmech for helping me with his input. I've bombarded him with several PMs the last couple of days.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 05, 2014 at 12:40 PM.
Feb 05, 2014, 02:10 PM

Tucano

Looking good Dave !
Here's some pics of mine showing the canopy screws, esc cut out, and Robart strut covers on the mains.
Feb 05, 2014, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc
I've just now begun assembly. xmech mentioned that the CNC machined front strut was a "work of art". Very true. The cylinder, articulated strut arm, and linkage are all CNC machined aluminum. It looks heavy but only weighs 51 g. Take a look at this beautifully done piece:
Are these the nose gear that come with the kit? Or do you have to order it separate
Feb 05, 2014, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by live_2_fly
Are these the nose gear that come with the kit? Or do you have to order it separate
Yes, that is the nice nose gear that comes with it. Shame that the mains are not the same.
Feb 05, 2014, 09:08 PM
Wow I might just get one
Feb 05, 2014, 10:17 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
Very clever solution to the ESC mount, xmech. It looks really nice, too. The strut covers are a nice touch - far better looking than the bare bent wire leg.

The supplied setup for mounting the main gears is fussy and required a good bit of time to get it all to fit correctly. Still the legs are splayed out and are going to require removal again and rebending. I probably won't epoxy the wood blocks permanently in place. It would then be about impossible to straighten the legs if accidentally bent.

I'm close to completion of mine. Still have to cut the cowl for the nosegear and install it. Then decide on ESC placement and mounting.

It's making a really beautiful plane. Lots of nice detail and a very high quality look. I'm getting anxious to see if it flys as nice as it looks.
Feb 06, 2014, 12:00 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
The first picture shows how far off of vertical the gear legs are when the wing dihedral is accounted for. I'm going to have to "adjust" these.

Second picture: don't let this happen to you! The covering over the opening for the gear mounting blocks must be removed. Three sides of this cavity are nice thick light ply. But the fourth side (toward the wing root) is just thin balsa. It's very easy to cut way too far into this when removing the covering. As you can see.
Feb 06, 2014, 06:28 PM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
I spent a lot of time today on this plane. Made only a little progress. I got the maingear aligned to my satisfaction, but spent a lot of time doing it.

And then I attempted to attach the wings. What were they thinking with these nylon bolts! They are 77 mm long - you cannot even insert them in the holes in the fuselage.I had to cut each of them off by 24mm and then chamfer the threads. A tedious process. But I finally got the wings attached and got her up on her feet.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 06, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Feb 08, 2014, 11:17 AM
dbc
dbc
Thread OP
It doesn't seem like anyone is following this thread anymore. Maybe I am just talking to myself.

The ESC placement question has been resolved. The two traditional places: under the cowl, and beside the battery tray, both have some issues. I decided to use the large area under the battery/fuel tank tray.

I enlarged the upper slot for the wires and cut a cooling vent in the firewall (I plan to enlarge this vent). The lower cowl opening aligns with this vent and should provide adequate ESC cooling in the lower fuselage. I then fabricated a balsa mounting plate to level the fuselage floor and installed the ESC there. It worked out very nicely. A preliminary balance check showed that I did not need additional weight on the nose. This rearward location of the ESC should help that as well.

The last picture shows the entire under canopy area with everything in place. There's still plenty of room left for any accessories you might want to install. I've now got to cut the slot in the cowl for the nose gear and install it. I'll then be pretty much done.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 08, 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply